What position players do you want on the team right now?

Sports Guy

Whether you are trading or releasing guys is irrelevant for this conversation.

Of the players in the Os organization, what 13 (let’s assume 13 position and 13 pitchers) position players do you want on the team right now and going forward?

Also, assume Mountcastle is eligible to return if he’s someone you want.

Spelling doesn't count!

1. Rutchman

2. Westburg

3. Henderson

4. Urias

5. Ortiz

6. Mullins

7. Hays

8. Santander

9. Benboom/McCann

10. O'Hearn

11. Cowser

12. Hicks

13. Mateo/Frazier (I can make a case for either or neither)

Edited by MCO'sFan

Right now I'd like to have the following in MLB.  This could change if Mountcastle starts showing he now can't hit LHP, then I want him off the team too.  

Adley

Gunnar 

Westburg

Urias

O'Hearn

Hicks

Hays

Mullins

Santander

Ortiz

McCann

Cowser

Mountcastle

C- Adley and McCann/Benboom/wtf

IF- OHearn, Westburg, Ortiz, Henderson, Urias, Mounty

OF/DH- Mullins, Hays, Santander, Cowser, Hicks

The last 3 spots come down to Hicks/Urias/Frazier/Mounty.  Urias has to be one of them. The other 2 are toss ups to me but I think I’m going to lean Mounty because he crushes lefties and I think there is more to him. I’m also shaky about trusting OHearn to be the primary first baseman.

I would prefer to keep Frazier on the team but I think that 26th spot is either him or Hicks (I know Hicks is playing well now but I don’t trust it long term in terms of him being an everyday guy) but Hicks adds a little more than Frazier does and Hicks could be a good pinch hitter/work the count guy as well, which is why I like Frazier.

Edited by Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

For someone notoriously as cold-hearted as you, leaning Mounty because you think there's more to him is a very irregular SG take.

His batted ball data gives me hope.

Its not like it’s being him and some stud player.

Edited by Sports Guy

A few thoughts:

1. I like the current position player side of the roster. Westburg's lack of a call-up made me livid. That was overdue. Cowser and Ortiz...I can get it that the regime wants them at 400 PA or 500 PA, whatever, at AAA. But: 

2. Cowser is really pushing on the door and he should be patrolling the Orioles OF soon. I think the 13th position player is really redundant and I wish we could just add a 14th pitcher. McKenna fits that role fine for now. He's the obvious cut if Cowser is promoted, but that doesn't really open up playing time. Reducing Hicks at-bats and really shoving Santander exclusively towards 1B/DH would do the trick, both of which are likely good things in the long run. So I can squeeze Cowser into the lineup most days, but it's tougher than it was at one point. 

3. I think Frazier and Mateo are useful enough to warrant not being DFA'd. For that reason, I think everyday at-bats at Norfolk is the best thing for Ortiz for now. Of course I only want the former 2 playing 2-3 times a week. 

4. I think Mountcastle has played his way into an option after his rehab assignment. The team has gotten better and he hasn't. With the positional flexibility of our roster, he could be the first man up to replace an injury, any non-catcher injury really. If he is hitting with the Tides. 

Edited by Matt Bennett
numbering

C Adley 

1B O'Hearn

2B  Westburg

SS  Mateo

3B  Gunnar

OF  Hays,  Mullins, Cowser

DH  Santander (plays some 1B too)

Subs  McCann/Biemboom, Hicks, Urias, Frazier

McKenna was optioned.  Will watch how Ortiz does in AAA and probably bring him up to take Mateo's SS spot.  Mateo will start having occasional start at 2B, 3B and even COF.