Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

8/9, 121

Spoiler

I whiffed on KC/Det.   Thought about it a while couldn't come up with anyone, took a wild stab in the dark at Dan Petry.

And I actually did think of Damon.   Whenever I am stuck on KC, I am sure to try to picture Damon or Beltran in the other team's uniform.   Two guys who started with KC and had well travelled careers.   But I couldn't remember him with Detroit.

I only had 21 points on the other 8 squares so it could have been a great rarity score.

Like Corn I am surprised fewer O's fans didn't go with Lenny Sakata, and I am surprised he was only at 0.7%.   That was such a memorable moment.

I was able to use the only major leaguer ever who shares my last name for a 1% answer.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Obviously I misjudged the cultural impact of that moment for O's fans.

It was huge.  But (1) I didn’t think of it, and (2) I think of that player more as a 2B than a SS.  In fact, in the season where he played C, he never played SS, nor did he ever play it in subsequent seasons.  Obviously, he did play some SS in prior seasons.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was huge.  But (1) I didn’t think of it, and (2) I think of that player more as a 2B than a SS.  In fact, in the season where he played C, he never played SS, nor did he ever play it in subsequent seasons.  Obviously, he did play some SS in prior seasons.  

He was the Opening Day starting SS the year before.   First OD I ever went to.   Wonderful game, cut school (senior year of HS) with a bunch of friends, sat in the gold seats in LF, very comfortable weather for early April, and O's hit 4 or 5 HRs including a grand slam.

He was the primary starting SS for all of April and most of May until Earl decided to move some rookie from 3rd to short.

Edited by SteveA

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He was the Opening Day starting SS the year before.   First OD I ever went to.   Wonderful game, cut school (senior year of HS) with a bunch of friends, sat in the gold seats in LF, very comfortable weather for early April, and O's hit 4 or 5 HRs including a grand slam.

He was the primary starting SS for all of April and most of May until Earl decided to move some rookie from 3rd to short.

Well, that explains why he never played SS in 1983 or thereafter.  I kind of forgot about that!

On 12/5/2023 at 7:39 AM, Frobby said:

Yeah, but generally, you don’t need to know the mediocre players.   You just need to know what teams Napoleon Lajoie played for.   There’s a roster-full of Hall of Famers where I’m really not sure who their principal team was, much less more than one team.  

We probably shouldn't have a contest to name the primary team of the most obscure HOFers. I just pulled out Bobby Wallace and guessed Dodgers. Nope, Cleveland and the St. Louises.

Who are the most obscure Hall of Famers? (Non-Negro League category - if you can name the primary team for most 1920s Negro Leaguers you're a better man than me. Heck, if you ask me Gibson and Paige I'd be guessing Homestead Greys or Indy Clowns or something. Those leagues/teams were about as chaotic as 1870s leagues).

I'm going to say Wallace, Dave Bancroft, Harry Hooper, Eppa Rixey, Jake Beckley. Placing all of them on the right teams would be a lot of luck.

Looking up Satchel... he played for something like nine teams, but there are significant gaps in his record and you'd have to read a biography to figure out what he was doing from, say, 1937-39. In the official records (or at least bb-ref) he has just 76 innings pitched from 1935 (age 28) through 1939 (age 31), in what was likely his peak years. I don't think he was hurt, but probably playing on some kind of barnstorming or outlaw leagues.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

8/9, 137.   My zeal for an all Oriole solution bit me in the a$$ when I learned the hard way that Eddie Murray never made the All Star Game for the Mets.

I had 0.75% combined for my Oriole row, just beating Frobby!

I had all Orioles on the bottom row, and an Oriole in the top left corner too.   Couldn't come up with an Oriole for Mets/Toronto and since I had already blown the perfect score I just put in a name off the top of my head to get it over with.

Spoiler

Top Row:  Jesse Orosco (yes, he pitched briefly for the Yankees, I got lucky there, was just a guess), RA Dickey, NON

Orioles:  Elliott Maddox (0.05%), Bob Bailor (0.6%), Don Aase (0.1%).

Bottom row:  David Wells, Robby Alomar, Manny Machado.

If I had thought of Bobby Bonilla for Mets/All Star, I could have done an all Oriole solution.   There were a TON of guys for Mets/Toronto, though I don't know if I would have thought of them.   A couple I used in other squares (Alomar, Bailor), plus Armando Benitez, Mike Bordick, and a host of others.   I don't remember Bordy with Toronto.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

8/9, 137.   My zeal for an all Oriole solution bit me in the a$$ when I learned the hard way that Eddie Murray never made the All Star Game for the Mets.

I had 0.75% combined for my Oriole row, just beating Frobby!

I had all Orioles on the bottom row, and an Oriole in the top left corner too.   Couldn't come up with an Oriole for Mets/Toronto and since I had already blown the perfect score I just put in a name off the top of my head to get it over with.

Hide contents

Top Row:  Jesse Orosco (yes, he pitched briefly for the Yankees, I got lucky there, was just a guess), RA Dickey, NON

Orioles:  Elliott Maddox (0.05%), Bob Bailor (0.6%), Don Aase (0.1%).

Bottom row:  David Wells, Robby Alomar, Manny Machado.

If I had thought of Bobby Bonilla for Mets/All Star, I could have done an all Oriole solution.   There were a TON of guys for Mets/Toronto, though I don't know if I would have thought of them.   A couple I used in other squares (Alomar, Bailor), plus Armando Benitez, Mike Bordick, and a host of others.   I don't remember Bordy with Toronto.

Your Oriole/Yankees pick beat mine, 0.05 to 0.5.   I’m surprised by Orioles Blue Jays pick beat yours, 0.3 to 0.6.  Yours was a much tougher pull IMO.  

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Your Oriole/Yankees pick beat mine, 0.05 to 0.5.   I’m surprised by Orioles Blue Jays pick beat yours, 0.3 to 0.6.  Yours was a much tougher pull IMO.  

I still remember losing him to Toronto in the expansion draft, which just proves I'm old.