Is JW the reincarnation of JJ Hardy?

banks703

Is it just me or does JW remind anyone else of JJ Hardy? Obviously he’s not the SS that JJ was in his career but how JW carries himself, his mannerisms, how he looks and swings at the plate reminds me an awful lot of JJ Hardy.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Is it just me or does JW remind anyone else of JJ Hardy? Obviously he’s not the SS that JJ was in his career but how JW carries himself, his mannerisms, how he looks and swings at the plate reminds me an awful lot of JJ Hardy.

Do you say JJ Hardy? But then you say JW no one’s called him JW no one‘s gonna call him JW

Man, some of you with these strained player comparisons. It's crazy how some of you see unrelated players who do not resemble one another in any way as similar. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has ever made this comp before. Look at all of the scouting material that you can find. I have never seen JJ Hardy as a player comp for Jordan Westburg. I guess Mullins is like Adam Jones? Gunnar is somehow comparable to Manny? Adley to Wieters? ...

I really don't understand. 🤷‍♂️

• Confused 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

At least they are comping them to former Orioles and not Hall of Famers or famous players of the same nationality.

They appear to be strained comparisons at best, almost as if no other baseball players exists except for the ones who wear orange and black.

30 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I actually like this comp.

Blue collar vibe... Joe Lunchpail. Relaible.. carry themselves similarly. Also I see the swing similarities.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

They appear to be strained comparisons at best, almost as if no other baseball players exists except for the ones who wear orange and black.

The other 29 costumes have more in the MLB forum.    Orioles Talk is the literal forum name here.

Who would it be better to compare Dean Kremer or Jordan Westburg to for a community of Orioles fans?

PECOTA actually did peg Kyle Gibson as a top Dean Kremer comp this year, and there may be a few young fans who haven't heard of Miguel Gonzalez, so maybe he wasn't an ideal choice but I don't believe one needs to be too fine splitting hairs about decent rotation filler.

29 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I guess Mullins is like Adam Jones? Gunnar is somehow comparable to Manny? Adley to Wieters? ...

I really don't understand. 🤷‍♂️

Defensively Gunnar was actually compared to Manny in the minors quite a bit. And Adley obviously was compared to MW. 

I can’t tell if the Mullins/AJ mention is an attempt at a racial implication but I don’t think anyone compared them as players. 

JW looks a lot like JJ to me. It’s ok if you don’t see it. But maybe you should know what you’re claiming before speaking on behalf of everyone. 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/henderson-and-westburg-bumps-bring-needed-boosts

From the article:

The same scout offered JJ Hardy as a comp to Westburg, which ain’t bad, either.

• Upvote 2

I definitely see what the OP is talking about, not just his stance but the way he carries himself and talks, there's definitely a real JJ Hardy vibe there for me. So yeah, I agree that comps can be silly sometimes, but in this case I definitely see what he's talking about, there's some real similarities in terms of demeanour, physical complexion, etc. 

35 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The other 29 costumes have more in the MLB forum.    Orioles Talk is the literal forum name here.

Who would it be better to compare Dean Kremer or Jordan Westburg to for a community of Orioles fans?

PECOTA actually did peg Kyle Gibson as a top Dean Kremer comp this year, and there may be a few young fans who haven't heard of Miguel Gonzalez, so maybe he wasn't an ideal choice but I don't believe one needs to be too fine splitting hairs about decent rotation filler.

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions as they want or feel they need to. 

IMO - It is pigeonholing the perspective of a player when they are not allowed to be the best version of their unique selves. It’s one thing to use draft comps or scouting comps but when guys have to be limited to a small pool of players; I feel like that limits who they are and can be appreciated for. 

Jordan Westburg is not more like JJ Hardy than Kremer is like Gonzalez than Adley is like Wieters than Mullins is like Adam Jones than Gunnar is like Manny. None of those players is anything a like really in that they played the same position and wore an Oriole uniform.

If for example you want to compare a player like Gunnar Henderson to a player like Corey Seager, that’s a more apples to apples comparison IMO.

But to each their own.