Our Best "Touchable" Trade Bait is.........

Sanity Check

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you want to upgrade the pitching you will have to give up one, or more, players that other teams covet.

All of this oh no, not that one...that's going to get you a bullpen version of Cole Irvin.

Give up quality to get quality.

Speaking of Irvin, Hernaiz is putting up a

.328 .381 .477 .858

line at AA at age 21. 

• Upvote 1

I wonder how much the professed brotherhood/friendship of Cowser/Westburg/Henderson would play into the likelihood of Westburg being traded?  I think there would be a relatively significant psychological blow if they break that troika up right after reuniting them.  I think its highly unlikely, whether for this reason or just because they like Westburg more than whatever they could get for him.

I know we are in an age of cold hard stats driving decisions, but there is a human element also....

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Stowers or Haskin get you more than an incremental upgrade.  You might be able to get a better return for Norby but I figured if he's not willing to trade Hall he's not going to give up Norby.

I think Norby and Hall are apples to oranges.  There is a lot more position player depth in the organization than pitching.

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

I wonder how much the professed brotherhood/friendship of Cowser/Westburg/Henderson would play into the likelihood of Westburg being traded?  I think there would be a relatively significant psychological blow if they break that troika up right after reuniting them.  I think its highly unlikely, whether for this reason or just because they like Westburg more than whatever they could get for him.

I know we are in an age of cold hard stats driving decisions, but there is a human element also....

I think all of these guys are close…you can actually say the same thing about DL Hall, who is very close to many of them.

That said, I do think it comes into play. 

10 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

I see a pitcher going back in a deal for another starter. My guess is Kremer.

I don’t think we see Ortiz dealt.

But something like Kremer, Norby, Stowers for a starter makes a lot of sense.

I don't think someone like Kremer is traded for another starter unless its a guy under contract for a few years.  I think Bradish, Kremer, Wells all stick around add GRod to the rotation in the second half.  No one we are trading for a starting pitcher will want Gibson back unless we need salary relief in the deal, he could end up in the bullpen.  I could see Irvin going back in a deal for a SP + whatever prospects / fringe guys.

55 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I don't disagree with you about preferring to see those other guys traded instead, but if I'm the other team trading with the Orioles, I don't think I'd settle for those guys if I'm giving up someone to help the Orioles rotation or bullpen right now.....I'd want Joey if I can't have Jordan or Gunnar or Jackson.

I'm looking at it through their eyes, not ours.

I’m not expecting a blockbuster. I just want to see the young guys that I’ve been following since they were drafted through some really bleak years play for the Orioles. You can’t play everyone of course, but you can choose the best guys and get what you can for the rest. I feel like something like Norby could be a good piece to build around for a good rental such as Giolito. Norby has no future here unless he’s taking at bats away from better players.

As much as I like him, I'll put Povich in this category. Simply because if we hope to get a SP, he almost HAS to be included in the deal. We don't really have anyone else to offer from a SP perspective, and any team giving up ML SP is going to want younger SP coming back. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Speaking of Irvin, Hernaiz is putting up a

.328 .381 .477 .858

line at AA at age 21. 

That’s fairly in line with what he did last year at Aberdeen, and I’m happy for him.  In a Recent ranking of the A’s rather lame farm system, Eric Lingenhagen graded Hernaiz at 40+ FV and ranked him 10th in the A’s system.  I am not losing any sleep over the trade.  

• Upvote 1