Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Trade for LHP Hader and LHP Blake Snell (IF Norby, LHP Hall, LHP Rom, RHP Baumler, LHP Akin, RHP Juan De Los Santos, RHP Trace Bright) (SD will probably be asking for pitching)

Trade for RHP Scott Barlow (OF Stowers, Util Vavra, & MIF Carter Young)

Move RHP GrayRod (or Wells?) to the bullpen

SP: LHP Snell, RHP Bradish, RHP Wells, RHP Gibson, RHP Kremer

RP: RHP Bautista, LHP Hader, RHP Cano, RHP Barlow, RHP GRod, RHP Baumann, RHP Baker, LHP Coulombe

40 Man Depth: LHP Vespi, LHP Irvin, LHP Perez, LHP Zimmerman, RHP Gillaspie, RHP Bazardo

AAA Depth: RHP Kreibel, LHP Darwinzon

DL: RHP Voth, RHP Givens, RHP Tate, LHP Means

Oh and one more thing, you have slotted Snell as our #1. I know his ERA and K numbers are excellent, but he’s the quintessential definition of a 5 inning pitcher. I  prefer Bradish and even Wells in front of him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Oh and one more thing, you have slotted Snell as our #1. I know his ERA and K numbers are excellent, but he’s the quintessential definition of a 5 inning pitcher. I  prefer Bradish and even Wells in front of him.

Snell isn't an innings eater but this is selling him a little short. Over his last 9 starts he has thrown 7 innings once, 6 innings six times, and five innings twice. Hardly the quintessential definition of a 5 inning pitcher.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Some of it is just hitter/team adjustment and Cano needs to adjust back a bit but I think his stuff and control are still excellent. Good news is still no walks in last 5. 

In my opinion, hes no longer keeping his pitches at the very bottom of the zone, where they’re most effective.  I see a lot more thigh-high pitches from him than I saw in April and early May.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

In my opinion, hes no longer keeping his pitches at the very bottom of the zone, where they’re most effective.  I see a lot more thigh-high pitches from him than I saw in April and early May.  

True but I have been encouraged by his last few appearances before the break and since.  It seemed like he had lost the changeup and downward movement for awhile.   He seems to have that back and attacking the zone.  He’s definitely more human now but I still trust him for the most part.   When he keeps the ball down, he’s at his best for sure.

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Snell isn't an innings eater but this is selling him a little short. Over his last 9 starts he has thrown 7 innings once, 6 innings six times, and five innings twice. Hardly the quintessential definition of a 5 inning pitcher.

I hope this stretch would be the guy that we are getting. But since you want to use numbers, he has made 19 starts and pitched 103 innings this season. And over the course of his career, historically hasn’t that been the pitcher he has been?

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I hope this stretch would be the guy that we are getting. But since you want to use numbers, he has made 19 starts and pitched 103 innings this season. And over the course of his career, historically hasn’t that been the pitcher he has been?

Right.  Snell has great stuff and is in a good stretch right now.  My impression is that you can’t count on him to be great or go deep but you never know.   I like Eduarda Rodríguez but it’s a little bit of the same thing. Which version do you wind up with.   The surer the thing, the more it costs and there are no sure things.   I expect bullpen acquisitions and even those are probably not going to be as high profile as some are expecting.

14 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Like I said, he is not an innings eater, but in 178 career starts, he has pitched into the 6th inning 94 times (with a 2.57 ERA in the 6th) and into the 7th 34 times (with a 1.93 ERA in the 7th). Kyle Bradish has made 40 career starts and has pitched into the 6th inning 20 times (with a 5.51 ERA in the 6th), less frequently than Snell.

Given that nobody pitches deep into playoff games any more, given how dominant bullpens are in today's game and with all the extra off-days that playoff series have, I don't think an innings eater is particularly necessary anyway.

Edited by MurphDogg

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Right.  Snell has great stuff and is in a good stretch right now.  My impression is that you can’t count on him to be great or go deep but you never know.   I like Eduarda Rodríguez but it’s a little bit of the same thing. Which version do you wind up with.   The surer the thing, the more it costs and there are no sure things.   I expect bullpen acquisitions and even those are probably not going to be as high profile as some are expecting.

I would be fine with either Snell or Eduardo Rodriguez. I don’t think either would cost too much because both are rental types. 

If we were to add one of them and then a good arm for the 7th/8th, I think that gives us a puncher’s chance in the Fall without giving up that much. 

IMO trades serve 2 purposes for us this deadline. 1. They will obviously help to improve our roster. 2. They will have to clear things up some and allow guys who aren’t going to make it here and receive regular ABs to get their shot somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Like I said, he is not an innings eater, but in 178 career starts, he has pitched into the 6th inning 94 times (with a 2.57 ERA in the 6th) and into the 7th 34 times (with a 1.93 ERA in the 7th). Kyle Bradish has made 40 career starts and has pitched into the 6th inning 20 times (with a 5.51 ERA in the 6th), less frequently than Snell.

Given that nobody pitches deep into playoff games any more, given how dominant bullpens are in today's game and with all the extra off-days that playoff series have, I don't think an innings eater is particularly necessary anyway.

I see your point. I am definitely not against acquiring him as he would be a major upgrade for our rotation. But acquiring him makes it essential that was also acquire at least 1 more very good bullpen arm. We have a serious weakness in the 6th and 7th inning. When the starter can go 6, we can patch it together most times for the 7th until we get to the back end guys. But like last night when the starter goes only 5 or even just pitches into the 6th, we normally have problems because IMO Baker/Baumann are just League average guys and some of the others are well below that threshold.

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I had to look at your ideas twice, thinking that we'd be giving up quite a bit for guys that are rentals.   I noticed that Barlow would have an additional year of control, which would be nice.   I think these deals could be doable.   

I know Hader is a local guy...wonder if they could extend him if they acquire him?

6 pitchers plus Norby for 2 months of Snell and Hader? And why on earth does anybody think they’d want Hall or Akin.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

6 pitchers plus Norby for 2 months of Snell and Hader? And why on earth does anybody think they’d want Hall or Akin.

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but what position are you defending?  You imply that the package is too big, then ask why they want Hall or Akin.  Hall and Akin have good arms...could be the old "change of scenery" thing.   

Again, not trying to give you a hard time, just making sure I understand.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Nah. Snell is definitely better.

44 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Just realize in terms of average innings one disaster two inning start and three six inning starts would give him an average of five innings per start. I'd probably rather look at median innings to see what "kind" of pitcher someone is.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nah. Snell is definitely better.

Idk - Bradish has only had one bad start this season and he has only given up 6 earned runs over his last 6 starts. It appears that he is coming into his own. Right now, he would be the kind of guys that I would trust with our season on the line. (Except against the Red Sox.)

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Idk - Bradish has only had one bad start this season and he has only given up 6 earned runs over his last 6 starts. It appears that he is coming into his own. Right now, he would be the kind of guys that I would trust with our season on the line. (Except against the Red Sox.)

Well yea because we don’t have many options for that role.

Snell has been pitching at a high level for a solid calendar year. 

I hope the Os sign him in the offseason, assuming he doesn’t get more than 3 years, which I doubt he will.