2023 Comp Round B (#63): Jackson Baumeister - RHP - (So) Florida State (FL)

• Tony-OH changed the title to 2023 Comp Round B (#63): Jackson Baumeister - RHP - (So) Florida State

Glad they see enough to take a pitcher in round 2!  I've never heard of him, so I poked around a bit...

Prospectslive.com had him ranked #52 heading into 2023 (Feb 2023).  A few others had him ranked higher heading into the 2023 NCAA season as well.  The lagging top line stats (ERA, WHIP, etc) may have dampened the public rankings on him.

2023 MLB Draft - Top 300 Prospects — Prospects Live

His personal "down year" was also in a universally offensive college season.  Tons of non-Skenes pitchers had down years in 2023.  

His 2023 BB9 isn't bad but a big improvement from 2022.  It's the H/9 that needs some work.  I suspect it's the game plan attacking hitters.  One article mentioned learning to pitch backwards another said something about the FB approach.

Nearly every write-up I've seen has said something like "good frame", "this is how you build a pitcher", etc.  In addition to the low-mileage/projectability, this plays into a healthy career too!  

This article from an FSU follower thinks Baumeister is signable.

MLB Draft will play a role in shaping Florida State's baseball roster (on3.com)

"Right-handed pitcher Jackson Baumeister, who took over as FSU’s Friday night ace this past season, was selected with the 63rd pick Sunday by the Baltimore Orioles.

The predetermined slot value for that pick is $1,243,300, which likely will be very difficult for Baumeister to pass on in order to return for his junior season. Even though he is only two years removed from high school, the sophomore from Jacksonville was eligible to be drafted because he turned 21 today."

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 86this said:

You're right.  was following MLB.com site.

Tony, can you reclassify from Sr to Sophomore (4-year sophomore??)

When you see the 4-year Sophomore, it refers to him being a sophomore at a 4 year school, not that he's in his 4th year of college and is still a sophomore. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 86this said:

You're right.  was following MLB.com site.

Tony, can you reclassify from Sr to Sophomore (4-year sophomore??)

When you see the 4-year Sophomore, it refers to him being a sophomore at a 4 year school, not that he's in his 4th year of college and is still a sophomore. 

9 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

Thanks for clarifying.  

Really happy to see a high-upside arm taken earlier in the draft.  I'm going to ignore the mediocre stats and focus on the stuff and projectability.  From the highlights, looks like easy velocity and life on the fastball.  Also, might have to go overslot on him so hope we saved a couple hundred thousand from the first couple picks.  Or we may take a few senior signs as well.

• Upvote 1

I am very interested in following how Baumeister develops, he will be an excellent test case for the Orioles’ pitching development program. He’s the highest Elias pitching pick and seems loaded with traits and projectability but entirely lacking performance track record. Similar to Nolan McLean and Trace Bright last year, but they used much higher draft capital for Baumeister. It’s clear they have a pitching formula similar to their hitting formula.

• Upvote 1