2023 18th Round Pick (#541): Tanner Witt - RHP - (Jr) Texas (TX)

Another selling point for the Orioles is the fact that he would potentially get a year head start on reaching arbitration and free agency.  That could well end up being worth far more in the long run to Witt than the possibility of getting more slot money in next year's draft.  That, coupled with perhaps being able to cobble together enough slot savings to offer him a decent bonus just might do it.  This would actually be betting on himself in a bigger way for Witt, taking the long view.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Another selling point for the Orioles is the fact that he would potentially get a year head start on reaching arbitration and free agency.  That could well end up being worth far more in the long run to Witt than the possibility of getting more slot money in next year's draft.  That, coupled with perhaps being able to cobble together enough slot savings to offer him a decent bonus just might do it.  This would actually be betting on himself in a bigger way for Witt, taking the long view.

Or...maybe the kid wants to finish college.  At this point, I'd have to say he's heavily leaning toward staying with that tweet.  Maybe he likes the college experience and he is fine betting on himself to bounce back next year. 

I'm hoping they can sign him.   I think Elias can sell the organization and emphasize to him how important it would be to become a pro now AND give him a nice chunk of change.    Pro teams have resources that colleges just can't provide. 

Good article re: how the Orioles might create space for signings.  I can't see how they get there to get Witt though.  There just doesn't seem to be enough money left to get it done.  I doubt they are getting much of a discount from Bradfield since Elias had no direct contact with him prior to the draft, though he did apparently speak with the agent.  If Elias had cut a deal with Bradfield prior to the draft, I would think there would be more contact between them and Bradfield would not have been surprised when he was picked. If Bradfield isn't discounting substantially, there just isn't that much money to be saved from the other picks.  

With Orioles draft done, the next task is signing the picks - Camden Chat

24 minutes ago, Number5 said:

At the rate the O's promote pitchers it might be faster to go back to school and end up with a different team next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AdleysPecks said:

Ha. I like their content but it’s like listening to Jim Hunter at times. Fanboys is a good characterization 😂😂😂

They get some good guests on their their podcasts and they do follow the system closely.   I don’t see the hosts as having any scouting chops and they’re very reluctant to say anything negative, but t still enjoy the podcast when I listen to it   You just need to take what they say with a heavy grain of salt.

6 minutes ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Maybe a dumb question: why didn't we just draft this guy much earlier in the draft?

Paying 70% of MSRP isn't as good as paying 15% of MSRP, but isn't 70% still a very solid value?

Because if you pick a guy early and don't sign him you lose the associated slot money.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Maybe a dumb question: why didn't we just draft this guy much earlier in the draft?

Paying 70% of MSRP isn't as good as paying 15% of MSRP, but isn't 70% still a very solid value?

They would have had to draft him at #53 or #63 and maybe still go over slot and maybe either didn’t have a feel that he would sign for that slot or that the health/performance question marks were too great to risk a higher pick on him.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They would have had to draft him at #53 or #63 and maybe still go over slot and maybe either didn’t have a feel that he would sign for that slot or that the health/performance question marks were too great to risk a higher pick on him.

Excellent points, but I have to think it's easier to obtain a yes/no answer (pre-draft) from a mid-50s pick than it is with a guy at the tail end of the draft.

1 minute ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Excellent points, but I have to think it's easier to obtain a yes/no answer (pre-draft) from a mid-50s pick than it is with a guy at the tail end of the draft.

Agreed, which makes me think they were more comfortable taking Baumeister that high but not Witt.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Love moves like this. This is how you can get these types of guys signed.

I imagine if the Orioles really felt strongly about Witt they would have tried to set it up this way. However, it also isn’t so easy when you pick 17th in Round 11.  You don’t know if he will be around and maybe there weren’t 16 other guys they liked enough to do senior signs.  Finally, maybe they aren’t that high on Witt compared to guys that they took. 

From Kiley McDaniel:

. Texas RHP Tanner Witt (73; late-first talent out of HS who returned from Tommy John surgery this year and things never clicked) is headed back to school and prep SS Kollin Ritchie (293; powerful left-handed hitter who hasn't faced much top pitching) is another tough sign who I don't expect will sign.