2023 18th Round Pick (#541): Tanner Witt - RHP - (Jr) Texas (TX)

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I have a feeling they are going to get this done.

They didn’t draft him thinking he was going to sign cheaply. They know he has a number. Now, it may be something they are willing to pay but need to figure others out first and if they doesn’t go to plan, maybe they miss out on Witt but I think if they can come up with 2nd round-ish slot money, they get it done and I think they are good with that.

It’s finding the savings throughout their picks. I say they save 500k-1M with Bradfield. 

I have no idea, but I want this guy in our system bad. We can hope there’s a chance.

If I had to put odds on the signings I would put the highest odds against Witt signing.   If healthy, he has a chance to be a 1st rounder next year and get 2-4M and end his college career on a much higher note.   Hard to believe the O’s can offer much more than 1M, if that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think it matters where he was “supposed to” go.

Is he going to go back to school, push back his pro career another year, risk injury, draft spot and maybe exposure of his game over 500k-1M?

I just don’t find it likely. 

Maybe he gets slot but it’s not necessary to do it to get him signed. 

Well, I hope you are correct. I think it interesting that Ciolek said they plan on signing all picks this year. In contrast, he made comments last year that stated they would likely not sign all picks. That comment makes me think they have a solid plan to sign all of them. The HS kid behind Witt, Ritchie, would be a great get as well. 

Edited by Jammer7
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Well, I hope you are correct. I think it interesting that Ciolek said they plan on signing all picks this year. In contrast, he made comments last year that stated they would likely not sign all picks. That comment makes me think they have a solid plan to sign all of them. The HS kid behind Witt, Ritchie, would be a great get as well. 

Good point.  We know Walters and Young were contingency plans last year.  This does sound different.   It makes me think that players like Lott and Ritchie can be signed for 250k or less and that they might be able to put together 1M-1.5M for Witt.   Hard to believe Witt would sign for significantly under 1M.    I assumed that Baumeister and Cunningham might be overslots so it’s going to be interesting to see how they have it all worked out.

• Upvote 1

I already have an unhealthy hope that we sign Witt!  We scattered a bunch of picks on pitchers this year, but this guy could be the crown jewel of the post-Grayson system.

I suppose the plan is with all of the warts on the stats for the guys taken above, we'll be able to patch together a $1.5m-ish offer.  And maybe pay the 75% tax on the 5% over bonus.  

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If I had to put odds on the signings I would put the highest odds against Witt signing.   If healthy, he has a chance to be a 1st rounder next year and get 2-4M and end his college career on a much higher note.   Hard to believe the O’s can offer much more than 1M, if that.

$1M is a lot to walk away from, even with the upside for more by going back to school. It’s a bit of a magic number IMO. His stuff was not all the way back by the end of the season and there’s plenty risk it doesn’t get there or he just has another bad season and doesn’t get anywhere near that in the draft next year. How much NIL money he can get probably makes a difference in establishing a floor for whether he can turn down $1M. Carter Young took the $1M on the table for him and I think he was better positioned than Witt to go back to school.  

If the Orioles can find $1M in savings to offer Witt I do think they have a very good chance to sign him. They don’t have any clear big underslot picks but also not any big overslot either, so it could definitely come together. Will be very interesting to monitor the savings from the early signers. 

5 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

How much NIL money he can get probably makes a difference in establishing a floor for whether he can turn down $1M

NIL likely won't have any impact here unless the baseball NILs have significantly increased in the past year.  It might impact those closer to the bonus minimum than Witt.

For NIL reference, Enrique Bradfield was had the highest NIL contract to an individual NCAA baseball player last year at $59k.  

• Upvote 2

Per Baseball America 

Texas

Texas

While recruiting classes drive most of the winners and losers on this list, the Longhorns’ entry is mostly based on returning players, specifically righthanders Lebarron Johnson Jr. and Tanner Witt. Johnson Jr. went undrafted, and Witt was not picked until the 18th round. They are now expected to return to the 40 Acres and have the potential to give Texas the best 1-2 punch in the country

While recruiting classes drive most of the winners and losers on this list, the Longhorns’ entry is mostly based on returning players, specifically righthanders Lebarron Johnson Jr. and Tanner Witt. Johnson Jr. went undrafted, and Witt was not picked until the 18th round. They are now expected to return to the 40 Acres and have the potential to give Texas the best 1-2 punch in the country

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Per Baseball America 

Texas

Texas

That doesn't sound promising.   Not impossible...but not promising.

37 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

That doesn't sound promising.   Not impossible...but not promising.

He will sign if you pay him. Whether or not they have the money, who knows. Maybe they would rather not sign one of their earlier picks to make sure they get this guy?   Lots of potential ways to get a deal done.

They didn’t draft him for poops and giggles. They feel they have a shot.

Edited by Sports Guy

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He will sign if you pay him. Whether or not they have the money, who knows. Maybe they would rather not sign one of their earlier picks to make sure they get this guy?   Lots of potential ways to get a deal done.

They didn’t draft him for poops and giggles. They feel they have a shot.

Yeah...good point.   This guy seems like someone to spend on.