2023 UDFA Ty Weatherly - RHP - (Gr) Ball State (IN)

74 K's in 67 IP with 14 HBP and 14 HR's. Didn't throw many innings until his last season. Gave up 5 HR's to Kent State then came back 8 days later and held them to 2 ER's in 6 IP. 

It'll be interesting to see what they can do with this guy. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Love the strategy.  No pitcher with an ERA under 5 and no hitter with a batting average over .300!   LOL

:)  Warts everywhere.  That's where my hope is that we can sign quite a few under their slot value to save enough for Witt and/or Ritchie.  

41 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

:)  Warts everywhere.  That's where my hope is that we can sign quite a few under their slot value to save enough for Witt and/or Ritchie.  

I think the O’s got these guys in spots they dropped to because of the warts.  They consider them good value for where they got them so it’s not my belief that we’re saving a lot on the top 5-7 picks.   I think there were a couple of senior signs at 7 and 8 and it does appear that they went into the 5% overage last year.   I’m assuming they sign their top ten picks and probably 18 of the 21 or so picks.  In doubt are Lott, Ritchie, and Witt as the least likely to sign.   Witt would take the most money and probably has the highest motivation to return to school.   Ritchie attended a workout at OPACY (as did 5th rounder Cunningham) which would lead me to believe he’s at least willing to sign and it’s a good bet the Orioles had an idea what it would take.   Therefore I’m hopeful that everyone is signed with the exception of Witt.    Ciolek maybe thinks they can sway him and maybe they can but it seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think the O’s got these guys in spots they dropped to because of the warts.  They consider them good value for where they got them so it’s not my belief that we’re saving a lot on the top 5-7 picks.   I think there were a couple of senior signs at 7 and 8 and it does appear that they went into the 5% overage last year.   I’m assuming they sign their top ten picks and probably 18 of the 21 or so picks.  In doubt are Lott, Ritchie, and Witt as the least likely to sign.   Witt would take the most money and probably has the highest motivation to return to school.   Ritchie attended a workout at OPACY (as did 5th rounder Cunningham) which would lead me to believe he’s at least willing to sign and it’s a good bet the Orioles had an idea what it would take.   Therefore I’m hopeful that everyone is signed with the exception of Witt.    Ciolek maybe thinks they can sway him and maybe they can but it seems unlikely.

No doubt that Lott, Ritchie, and Witt are the toughest.  And it's very likely we can't sign them all.  Even if we could scrape together $2m just for Witt, he still might not even sign.

I'm probably wrong, but here's my take:  Horvath, Cunningham, and maybe Wells are the over-slot guys.  The rest are at or below slot.

11 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

No doubt that Lott, Ritchie, and Witt are the toughest.  And it's very likely we can't sign them all.  Even if we could scrape together $2m just for Witt, he still might not even sign.

I'm probably wrong, but here's my take:  Horvath, Cunningham, and maybe Wells are the over-slot guys.  The rest are at or below slot.

Respectfully disagree.   Wells and Horvath don’t seem like overslot to me. Cunningham, maybe.   Baumeister possibly.   If I had to guess one player as a significant overslot (300k to 500k over) it would be the sophomore elegible Baumeister but it’s possible they drafted him higher than consensus and they knew the money met his price at that slot.   They scraped together 1.35 or whatever for Carter Young last year.  2M seems like it would be a lot tougher to come up with this year.   I never took the Witt pick too seriously for whatever reason and just have very little expectations there.   Hopeful on Lott and Ritchie or at least one of them.   

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Love the strategy.  No pitcher with an ERA under 5 and no hitter with a batting average over .300!   LOL

It's almost like this is a test to see if they can take guys with pitch shapes, spin rates, and velocity and mold them into consistent pitchers. It's going to be very interesting to track these guys through the system. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's almost like this is a test to see if they can take guys with pitch shapes, spin rates, and velocity and mold them into consistent pitchers. It's going to be very interesting to track these guys through the system. 

Ciolek said that the developmental side played a bigger role in this draft than previous drafts.  It sounds like their input was “ignore the traditional statistics and get us hitters with bat speed and tools who we can mold into hitters and pitchers with raw stuff who we can mold into pitchers”.    This draft is all about ceiling over current polish.   Don’t draft a fully baked player who’s already decent or good.   Get us some players who didn’t do so great but have the ceiling that’s better than decent or good.    

21 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We also drafted a bunch of big dudes. 6’2” plus. Seems like the strategy was to get some big bodied NCAA guys that can be durable and mitigate the injury risk. Then if healthy, we can try and develop those projectable frames with our coaching/analytics.