Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

12 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

If the rumors are true about the Braves interest in Verlander and if winning is what is most important to him I could see that deal getting done.

Mets really going to trade him to a division rival and possibly face him the next 2 1/2 years? It's not like they are going into a total rebuild.  Seems odd.

I'd much rather they stand pat than make a foolish trade just to show they did something. Luckily, I believe they aren't dumb enough to do that. The real moves should be made in the off-season for controllable pitching that can start the spring with the team.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

I get that same feeling from all of this too. Negotiating is an art form and the jury is still out on how good of a negotiator Mike Elias is.  He's superb at evaluating talent, but how good of a negotiator is he?

To Be Continued...

Right, and other GMs are way more tuned into that interpersonal element than any of us are. They have egos and reputations on the line. They want to come away with a "win." They have want to set precedents for future negotiations. They have relationships with players/agents. They smell blood in the water.

The point is that it's not just a detached calculation like we perform here, and we don't know how the O's front office is being treated. These aren't unilateral moves; they require coordination with other parties who have their own agendas.

I will be very happy if our front office is one that establishes their convictions and sticks to them. That's the sentiment that has made them good at drafting in the first place; not giving in to the consensus.

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

Ohtani is a quiet person, LAA has made every concession he's asked for to live a quiet life in a big town. He doesn't want to play in a spot where he's getting a ton of attention, he's private. He wants to play on the West Coast, we'll see. Money only buys you so much, and after a certain dollar amount, it turns into what do I really need for my family. I still think they are the favorites to keep him.

I believe areas of Orange County near Anaheim have the largest Japanese population -- as well as largest Japanese American population -- in the US.  But maybe he doesn't care.  Maybe he just wants to win.  Other West Coast teams are probably the favorites to land him, but after living in the US for awhile he may have changed his outlook and decided he's a fan of other cities and other teams around the country.  Who knows? 

I think the O's should show serious interest in him in the offseason.  A young, newly winning team like the Orioles could hold more appeal for him than the big money teams with aging stars that feel like they're in decline.

19 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Remember when some folks on OH were saying that Elias was smart to wait things out, because the buyer side would thin out towards the end and we wouldn't have as much competition?

Good times.  

I don't too many people question Elias' ability ro wait things out.  My question is can he take action when action is required?

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I get that same feeling from all of this too. Negotiating is an art form and the jury is still out on how good of a negotiator Mike Elias is.  He's superb at evaluating talent, but how good of a negotiator is he?

To Be Continued...

In is press conference the other day, Elias expressed that they have algorithms in place that have been success for years in assisting them with player evaluations when looking at trades.  So I think he's removed some of the subjectivity from the equation on his side.