Scoreboard watching

Frobby

19 hours ago, Malike said:

They are having a bad year, but they haven't been sub .500 in 31 years, longer than a lot of posters have been alive on this forum I'd guess. I love seeing them flounder, but they've shown how resilient they are long-term and they'll do what they have to put a competitive field on the team for next year. 

I see a team with a couple of superstars in their prime (Cole, Judge), but otherwise an aging, often-injured core without a lot of young talent on the ML club or in their system.  I think they may be down for a while.  Getting Ohtani would help, but there aren't a lot of other difference-maker free agents on the market this offseason, and older players come with more risk than they used to in the steroid era.  

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

We still have plenty of games left with the Red Sox.  I don't like the fact that they are edging back into contention.  

We are 11 up on the Red Sox with 39 left to play.  It would take an utter collapse for them to catch us.  As long as we play halfway decent they can’t catch us.  If we play just .500 we win 95 and the Red Sox would have to go 30-9 to catch us.   

11 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

It seems that Seattle will sweep Houston in Houston to win their eighth straight.

The O's won a series from a very good and hot team.

Spoke too soon. Seattle's normally reliable pitching gave up runs in one inning. Lead cut down to 6-5.

49 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

We are 11 up on the Red Sox with 39 left to play.  It would take an utter collapse for them to catch us.  As long as we play halfway decent they can’t catch us.  If we play just .500 we win 95 and the Red Sox would have to go 30-9 to catch us.   

I don't worry that they will catch us.  I worry that they will be a tough opponent.  

• Upvote 1

Brewers have been winning against Rangers this weekend to tighten AL West in general, and improve odds AL East champ will earn HFA for tournament.      Scherzer knocked out in 4th inning this afternoon 99 pitches deep, though it was just a few runs and Rangers have 9 outs to rally down 2 against Milwaukee bullpen.

16 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Rooting for Boston or Houston tonight?

Boston.     Keep the Astros A pitchers straining for favorable tournament placements as long as possible.    Seattle's surge a nice development - an AL West in play to the last weekend could take any of Castillo, Scherzer or Framber out of a wildcard series one or two of them are going to end up in.

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Here's something weird -- according to ESPN the Rangers (72-53) have a 81.3% of making the playoffs. But the Astros (71-55) have a 83.7% chance of making the playoffs. 

Just playing the odds on a team with playoff pressure experience probably.