Tuesday, July 25: Kyle Gibson faces former teammates as Orioles try to win series in Philadelphia

SteveA

If not for a one sided umpiring performance we still probably win.  But when you have all the chances we had and screw this up, winners don't go and point the figure at the umpire.  They point at all the chances they failed to take advantage.

I think Mateo in theory was a worthy experiment.  He was so fast and was a great threat on the bases.  But after a year and a half with him being the starting SS he has just proved he can not help us with the glove or the bat.  Now it is down to his legs.  And he is hurt now and cant run.  Cut him.  I would cut him.  

He is giving us nothing.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Frazier had a good game at the plate.  He wasn’t throwing anyone out with his noodle arm anyhow.  Mateo has just been a choke artist of late.  His confidence seems shot. 

Really weird alignment on that too. Not sure why Cowser was so swung around to center with a left-hander. 

Either way, Cano's crap pitching and Mateo's poor defense was too much.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I blame Hyde for not using Bautista.  With a 1 run we needed him. 

Agree. I understand Hyde's thinking on trying to give Felix extra rest BUT this division is so tight, we need to keep stacking Ws. And if Felix pitched tonight, its a W. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know how many times I need to say this. Mateo is a liability at the bat. Consistently makes bonehead mistakes on the base path and in critical moments he blunders in the field. Bring up Ortiz and say bye bye to this clown.

Just now, baltfan said:

Frazier had a good game at the plate.  He wasn’t throwing anyone out with his noodle arm anyhow.  Mateo has just been a choke artist of late.  His confidence seems shot. 

Mateo can be a great fielder and a decent hitter. At this point, much of his problem has to mental/lack of confidence. Can that be fixed?  :confused:

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Traded to who? For what? It’s like every other team doesn’t know that he stinks. He needs to be DFA’d.

Agreed. The idea for each side is to get value for comparable value in trades, not value for lesser value. I mean, maybe someone would like his past speed (pre-spiked - not how sure that lingers) or past defense. But buyer beware, whoever that would be.