Gunnar’s back

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

This team is built on depth. Mateo is due for a bounce back. Let’s see how this plays out! 

Seen enough of Mateo. He is the type of player that needs to play every day and when he does his great plays will obscure his bad ones.  But he does not hit enough to justify playing everyday on a playoff team and with infrequent play, he plays worse and his lapses and still lack of offense stand out more.  Great player for Oakland. 

1 minute ago, Pat Kelly said:

Seen enough of Mateo. He is the type of player that needs to play every day and when he does his great plays will obscure his bad ones.  But he does not hit enough to justify playing everyday on a playoff team and with infrequent play, he plays worse and his lapses and still lack of offense stand out more.  Great player for Oakland. 

Understand your perspective at this moment, but I expect more from Mateo based on his history. We have no room for error, yet I am a fan of this teams potential across the board!

Just now, Orioles0615 said:

I don't really trust this but...

What that means is it isn't bad enough to put him on the IL for 10 days.  They are going to see how he feels day to day.  We will see.  He had this earlier in the year.

another reason why you dont go trading a third of your top 10 prospects for rentals, Ortiz might be a critical part of the team down the stretch and over half the offers i see talked about on here especially have Ortiz thrown in. 

• Upvote 2

There's a chance flare ups like this could be common throughout his career.  If you look at him walk, he overly rotates his pelvis (it is present when he runs too, but harder to notice).  The left side is much more prominant than the right.  That puts extra pressure on his lower back.

Often times this can be fixed by correcting imbalances or a weak core.  However, his trainers/therapists and the team s&c coaches have been fully aware of this for years and have surely tried to work to correct it.  Likely the root cause is the angle the femoral head joins with the pelvis.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Understand your perspective at this moment, but I expect more from Mateo based on his history. We have no room for error, yet I am a fan of this teams potential across the board!

Based on his history,  he's exactly what we've been seeing for the past 2 months... it's his rare and short good streaks that are the exception, with him being a poor hitter being the norm, based on his history. 

There must be something going on with the field or the turf at the Phillies stadium, because I have never seen so many injuries in just 2 games. The field must be harder than most fields in the league or something. Even the way the ball bounced to hit James McCann yesterday in the spot you don't want to get hit, kind of suggested the field surface being a little rough (as far as density/softness goes).

8 hours ago, yark14 said:

There's a chance flare ups like this could be common throughout his career.  If you look at him walk, he overly rotates his pelvis (it is present when he runs too, but harder to notice).  The left side is much more prominant than the right.  That puts extra pressure on his lower back.

Often times this can be fixed by correcting imbalances or a weak core.  However, his trainers/therapists and the team s&c coaches have been fully aware of this for years and have surely tried to work to correct it.  Likely the root cause is the angle the femoral head joins with the pelvis.

Did you stay at a holiday inn express last night?

• Haha 2