It is beyond me why the Orioles EVER throw ANYTHING to him to hit

banks703

11 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Just looked up Barry Bonds stats, his 2004 year was crazy. He had a 609 OBP, driven by 232 BB (120 intentional) in 617 plate appearances. And in the 373 AB where he did get pitched to, he hit .362 with 45 HR. 

Insane.

He was on rocket fuel.  You could see the flames coming out of his butt.  

11 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Just looked up Barry Bonds stats, his 2004 year was crazy. He had a 609 OBP, driven by 232 BB (120 intentional) in 617 plate appearances. And in the 373 AB where he did get pitched to, he hit .362 with 45 HR. 

Insane.

I remember reading an article years ago that basically said the only time an intentional walk lowered your expected runs allowed was walking 2004 Barry Bonds to get to the pitcher.

• Upvote 1

On Friday, when Grayson was nibbling with Judge and eventually walked him twice, I was getting very frustrated with Grayson.  And then I said to myself, “Why?  Isn’t this exactly what we should be doing with Judge?   I’d prefer this walk to a home run.”   I’m not saying you walk him intentionally, but don’t try to “win the battle” with Judge.   Hit your perfect spots or miss off the plate and see if he expands the zone.  If he’s disciplined enough to take a walk, fine.  It’s better than the alternative.  

The pitch he hit off Wells might as well have been set up on a tee.  Truly pathetic.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Frobby said:

On Friday, when Grayson was nibbling with Judge and eventually walked him twice, I was getting very frustrated with Grayson.  And then I said to myself, “Why?  Isn’t this exactly what we should be doing with Judge?   I’d prefer this walk to a home run.”   I’m not saying you walk him intentionally, but don’t try to “win the battle” with Judge.   Hit your perfect spots or miss off the plate and see if he expands the zone.  If he’s disciplined enough to take a walk, fine.  It’s better than the alternative.  

The pitch he hit off Wells might as well have been set up on a tee.  Truly pathetic.  

I seem to remember Palmer doing that all the time. Pitch around the hitter you don't want to hurt you to get to the hitter you want to face.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

He was on rocket fuel.  You could see the flames coming out of his butt.  

Even on rocket fuel, he still had to hit the ball. He typically got one hittable pitch in a game, and he demolished it on his way to a 263 OPS+. 

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This. This is what I have been saying. Don’t intentionally walk him but don’t throw him ANYTHING that he can barrel up on you. His numbers against the O’s are not a small sample size as someone else suggested. They’re the equivalent of 60ish % of a season. The dude OWNS the O’s. Don’t throw him anything he can do damage with. 

21 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I seem to remember Palmer doing that all the time. Pitch around the hitter you don't want to hurt you to get to the hitter you want to face.

Aaron Judge is better at hitting than any of the O’s pitchers are at pitching. They need to stop challenging him.

He walked three times on Friday night and the O’s won. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Wells to IL.   He wasn’t right in the Dodgers start.  He’s a command guy who now walks more guys than he strikes out.   You’ll find out he’s been hiding elbow or shoulder discomfort.  Just saying.

His velocity seemed to be down too. Something is definitely not right.

7 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Aaron Judge is better at hitting than any of the O’s pitchers are at pitching. They need to stop challenging him.

He walked three times on Friday night and the O’s won. 

I don't disagree.  I'm just saying this particular night, with how bad Wells was pitching it wouldn't have mattered.  He was going to give runs up regardless.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The classic player x isn't just playing poorly, he's hiding an injury!

Because the team and the trainers are idiots who wouldn't notice.

A pitcher could have inflammation or irritation or discomfort in his elbow or shoulder.   It could be something he could pitch through but doesn’t want to go on the IL.  It’s not any dumber than the myriad of conspiracy theories that you come up with.    If the pitcher says he’s not fatigued and says he feels fine, they probably aren’t going to run any tests so how in the world would trainers know he was injured.    

No one has said Hall is injured but I bet you think that’s possible.

Agreed, but when that line-up is on, you can't pitch around everyone.  In a low run affair, like Friday night, I see no reason not to pull a Palmer in the hopes of making batters either take more chances on pitches that are just out of the zone or just not putting anything over the plate.  Wells is not looking good.

53 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

51 minutes ago, banks703 said:

This. This is what I have been saying. Don’t intentionally walk him but don’t throw him ANYTHING that he can barrel up on you. His numbers against the O’s are not a small sample size as someone else suggested. They’re the equivalent of 60ish % of a season. The dude OWNS the O’s. Don’t throw him anything he can do damage with. 

I'll grant you he has more at bats versus the Orioles than I thought.

His career OPS vs. the Orioles is 1.147

His career OPS overall is .985

The vast majority of his plate appearances versus the Orioles came in 2017-2021 where we had awful pitching.

If you want to call that "killing the Orioles" I guess you could. I'll bet his OPS vs. the Orioles this season and last is closer to his overall line for those seasons than the difference I outlined above

Edited by ChosenOne21

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Look what happened to Davis off the drugs.  Bonds numbers are meaningless to me.  

Davis' decline happened when he was on "the drugs".

One of my biggest wishes is that a current member of the BBHoF would have enough guts to admit they used steroids.  Between the roids, HGH, uppers and the painkillers pretty much everybody was, and probably still is, on something.

Bonds' issue isn't the steroids, it's his personality.  The fans have forgiven plenty of roiders.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis' decline happened when he was on "the drugs".

One of my biggest wishes is that a current member of the BBHoF would have enough guts to admit they used steroids.  Between the roids, HGH, uppers and the painkillers pretty much everybody was, and probably still is, on something.

Bonds' issue isn't the steroids, it's his personality.  The fans have forgiven plenty of roiders.

Your cynicism is duly noted.