It is beyond me why the Orioles EVER throw ANYTHING to him to hit

banks703

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

This. This is what I have been saying. Don’t intentionally walk him but don’t throw him ANYTHING that he can barrel up on you. His numbers against the O’s are not a small sample size as someone else suggested. They’re the equivalent of 60ish % of a season. The dude OWNS the O’s. Don’t throw him anything he can do damage with. 

Going to tell you right now, "Player X has these stats against Team Y" is the absolute most meaningless stat spoken of in baseball.  It's the baseball equivalent of what astrology is when stacked up against science.

And the reason why is simple.  ROSTERS CHANGE.  A lot.  Team Y, at any given point, will have few of the pitchers that Player X built those stats against three, five, seven seasons ago. 

So with the players he's facing being mostly (or all) different now, what's left?  Player X hates Team Y's jersey, and it spikes his performance to new heights?  Pffffffftttttttttt. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Going to tell you right now, "Player X has these stats against Team Y" is the absolute most meaningless stat spoken of in baseball.  It's the baseball equivalent of what astrology is when stacked up against science.

And the reason why is simple.  ROSTERS CHANGE.  A lot.  Team Y, at any given point, will have few of the pitchers that Player X built those stats against three, five, seven seasons ago. 

So with the players he's facing being mostly (or all) different now, what's left?  Player X hates Team Y's jersey, and it spikes his performance to new heights?  Pffffffftttttttttt. 

Even when the players are the same that data is pretty marginal.

Is Gausman today the same guy he was in 2016?

Is Verlander?

Josh Donaldson finished 4th in the MVP vote in 2016 after winning the year before.  He hit .142 this season.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Good players beat you. That’s what they do. 

In regards to pitching to him, it’s the competition. If it were me out there, I’d want to try to get him out, too. 

Judge hits homers, that’s what he does.  Take the logic in the OP, apply it to all teams, they’d just walk him all the time. Even Barry Bonds got pitched to. 

I’m more disappointed in giving up a homer to Higgy and a bases loaded double to IKF to put the game out of reach. 

Get everyone else out, don’t let Judge hit with men on base. Don’t let chumps like IKF and Higgy drive in 5+. 

Wait a minute. Yes, Judge hits a lot of homers, but for some strange reason, he hits homers against the O's at a phenomenal rate. Particularly in Baltimore, does he ever go an entire series without at least one HR? 

8 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Wait a minute. Yes, Judge hits a lot of homers, but for some strange reason, he hits homers against the O's at a phenomenal rate. Particularly in Baltimore, does he ever go an entire series without at least one HR? 

Cause our pitching has been bad, by and large? It’s not rocket science. We’ve been complaining on here for years about how the pitching needs to be better. 

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

He shouldn't be in.

OK?  Steroids have been a thing in MLB since the '70's, speed was even earlier.  Surely you don't think the Hall doesn't have other people who used them right?

Anyway my point was that various PED users have been forgiven by the community and Bonds hasn't.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

OK?  Steroids have been a thing in MLB since the '70's, speed was even earlier.  Surely you don't think the Hall doesn't have other people who used them right?

Anyway my point was that various PED users have been forgiven by the community and Bonds hasn't.

Neither has Clemens, Sosa, or McGwire. I think the reason is that they were the stars of the league and when the Mitchell report came out (before that really) there was a feeling that their numbers were artificial and it diminished the sport. 

I'm sure there's at least one HoFer that used steroids and wasn't caught. The question is who though? Pudge? Jeff Bagwell? Neither of them failed a test or appeared in the Mitchell report.

Just now, dystopia said:

Neither has Clemens, Sosa, or McGwire. I think the reason is that they were the stars of the league and when the Mitchell report came out (before that really) there was a feeling that their numbers were artificial and it diminished the sport. 

I'm sure there's at least one HoFer that used steroids and wasn't caught. The question is who though? Pudge? Jeff Bagwell? Neither of them failed a test or appeared in the Mitchell report.

I'm sure there are dozens.

I'm not going to throw specific names out there but they were a big part of the game for decades.  Folks have a tendency to ignore the decades of the '70's and '80's when talking about steroids, they were in the lockerooms back then.  There is no one that I feel 100% sure of not using.

Clemens I'll group with Bonds but I think the vitriol around Sosa and McGwire has subsided and was never really at the Bonds/Clemens level.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure there are dozens.

I'm not going to throw specific names out there but they were a big part of the game for decades.  Folks have a tendency to ignore the decades of the '70's and '80's when talking about steroids, they were in the lockerooms back then.  There is no one that I feel 100% sure of not using.

Clemens I'll group with Bonds but I think the vitriol around Sosa and McGwire has subsided and was never really at the Bonds/Clemens level.

Probably because Bonds broke a record and Clemens was a piece of crap (Bonds is also a douche). So you certainly have a point about their personalities being a factor. None of those four are getting into the Hall though. 

3 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I'll grant you he has more at bats versus the Orioles than I thought.

His career OPS vs. the Orioles is 1.147

His career OPS overall is .985

The vast majority of his plate appearances versus the Orioles came in 2017-2021 where we had awful pitching.

If you want to call that "killing the Orioles" I guess you could. I'll bet his OPS vs. the Orioles this season and last is closer to his overall line for those seasons than the difference I outlined above

You would have lost this bet. Judge on the season vs. the O’s:

.320/.500/.840

His .OPS against the O’s this year is .1340. 

You can cherry-pick down years if you want but he destroys the Orioles for his career. I don’t know how anyone can look at these numbers and try to argue it. Nice try though. 

Edited by banks703

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

You would have lost this bet. Judge on the season vs. the O’s:

.320/.500/.840

His .OPS against the O’s this year is .1340. 

You can cherry-pick down years if you want but he destroys the Orioles for his career. I don’t know how anyone can look at these numbers and try to argue it. Nice try though. 

I haven't lost it yet. What was his OPS versus the Orioles last year?

21 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I haven't lost it yet. What was his OPS versus the Orioles last year?

.369 .468 .846 1.314

He was .987 vs the Red Sox

.961 vs the Rays and .830 vs the Jays as well.

Edited by Malike