Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

3 hours ago, Malike said:

He was laughing and joking in the dugout last night. He knows hes bad right now and he knows he can do better. It's got to suck coming to a winning team and not posting up when you have the ability to. Nothing about his actions have suggested he's a headcase or a cancer to the clubhouse.

But Mr pro bowler knows better!

I don't know why the Orioles management chose to pitch Flaherty on the 15th in a sold out crowd in one of the absolute biggest games of the entire season, but I do believe the Orioles management has earned the benefit of the doubt. They usually know what they are doing, so they must believe in him against the Rays in that matchup. While I personally have my reservations over this decision, I am going to be cheering hard for Flaherty to have success and look like he did when he first arrived and beat the Blue Jays.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

Flaherty has been nothing less than a disaster since joining the Orioles and Drew Rom mowed the Birds down like it was nothing. Don't see how this trade becomes redeemable. 

This could be the start of Rom’s career. I wouldn’t rush to declaring the trade irredeemable just yet.

That said, Rom dominated the O’s like only a handful of pitchers have done this year. The O’s not showing up these last two nights against a Cards staff that has greatly struggled this year gives me a lot of worry with them welcoming Tampa tomorrow for four games and only a two game division lead. 

On 9/11/2023 at 5:54 AM, Moose Milligan said:

I didn’t say I didn’t believe you. But I think your whole take on Flaherty being some bad influence because he looked down while walking off the mound or something was absurd. 

Flaherty has been terrible. I’m so tired of all we had one bad start two bad start. He’s not good. And the guy we traded for him is doing exactly what I would expect they would do against the orioles

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, banks703 said:

This could be the start of Rom’s career. I wouldn’t rush to declaring the trade irredeemable just yet.

That said, Rom dominated the O’s like only a handful of pitchers have done this year. The O’s not showing up these last two nights against a Cards staff that has greatly struggled this year gives me a lot of worry with them welcoming Tampa tomorrow for four games and only a two game division lead. 

I got made fun of by a board member for saying I didn't like giving up Rom and Showalter for Flaherty. Looks like I'm not the dumb one from that trade deadline day exchange.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I got made fun of by a board member for saying I didn't like giving up Rom and Showalter for Flaherty. Looks like I'm not the dumb one from that trade deadline day exchange.

I mean, not every trade is going to end up in the O’s favor but I’ll still take Elias’s record on deals.

Rom really didn’t have a path to a bigger role with the O’s and Showalter is at least three years away from the discussion, if ever. It’d  have been somewhat of a reach to predict that Flaherty would underperform so much this last month. The O’s needed to make a move so they made one. I was in favor of the trade at the time and I would probably do it again given the potential lift that Flaherty was expected to provide. You win some and you lose some. I’ll bet all of the money in my bank account that Rom doesn’t pitch five games in his career as well as he threw tonight against the O’s. 

It’s one game. Let’s do what the O’s have done so we’ll all year and move on. 

Yes this series with Tampa Bay is huge. But this is exactly what we dreamed of having. If we were .500 or just a little better we would be talking about next year. Instead we have a chance to win the division and we get to fight a very key battle in Baltimore. 

Isn’t this what we have hoped for?

This is a flawed team that has out performed all year based on everyone else’s metrics. I for one am not blinded by the pitching imperfections nor am I oblivious to the individual limitations this team has. But these guys have posted up every day for well over a year and I have loved every. Single. Minute. 

I am coming to see the O’s on Saturday thanks to one of our members selling me some great seats. I just purchased a season ticket package for the first time in several years. I am 4 hours away from Baltimore but am counting on seeing my first playoff game ever this year. 

If you want to look for negative you can find it. I don’t know where this ride ends but if I am being honest it has already exceeded my expectations. The way I see it we are playing with house money. Enjoy the ride. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, banks703 said:

They looked like my daughter's softball teams. They face a pitcher throwing 65 mph and blow them up then the next game face one throwing 52 and they couldn't hit 52 to save their lives.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

O's seem to have problems vs junk ball pitchers.   But that does not mean the rest of the MLB will have problems with Rom.   We will see.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems every year and going back many years of watching the O's that even though our players change we always seem to struggle against soft tossers.  Our offense is on a tear, and then we face the shell of Wainwright and Rom back to back and struggle mightily.  I fully expect us to break out again against the far superior Rays staff!

• 2 weeks later...