Our Free Agents

Bahama O's Fan

According to 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/baltimore-orioles/

Our free agents are: Flaherty, Frazier, Gibson, Givens and Hicks. Isn't Fujinami a free agent too? 

So...thoughts? Should we try to resign any? Which ones? Why? Will we spend the money to maybe extend them before the season is over? Can we give a QO to Flaherty?

• Upvote 1

Fujinami is a free agent. We can't QO Flaherty because he was traded mid-season. Not really down to resign any of them except maybe Flaherty if he finishes the year strong. Wouldn't hate having Hicks as a 4th outfielder next year if he finishes strong, but with all the OF talent we have, I doubt that happens.

• Upvote 2

Hicks can choose where he wants to go, he is guaranteed $10M each of the next two seasons under his Yankees contract, so he can sign wherever he wants for the minimum next year. My guess is he will want somewhere with a chance for more playing time than the Orioles could offer.

I would be surprised if any of them return besides potentially Flaherty. I expect them to sign a mid-range starter in the $10-15M per year for 3-4 years range. If he likes it here, he could be a fit for that type of contract.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Fujinami is a free agent. We can't QO Flaherty because he was traded mid-season. Not really down to resign any of them except maybe Flaherty if he finishes the year strong. Wouldn't hate having Hicks as a 4th outfielder next year if he finishes strong, but with all the OF talent we have, I doubt that happens.

Flaherty signs a 5.4M deal with the Cards in January.

I don't think I'd offer him a QO even if I could (19.65M).

25 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

According to 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/baltimore-orioles/

Our free agents are: Flaherty, Frazier, Gibson, Givens and Hicks. Isn't Fujinami a free agent too? 

So...thoughts? Should we try to resign any? Which ones? Why? Will we spend the money to maybe extend them before the season is over? Can we give a QO to Flaherty?

I believe Elias was looking to add two pitchers this offseason, one controllable arm via trade and one FA that is the next progression in Lyles/Gibson/?; that very well could be Flaherty after watching him pitch tonight.

I don't think Frazier or Gibson is resigned, but they should find decent deals elsewhere after performing fairly well this season.

I believe we control Hicks for the next two seasons based on his old contract? I would plan on bringing him to ST on the 40 man at the very least

Fuji is a wildcard right now. Its early; we might not want him back. If he does well, maybe he gets paid somewhere else. I get the impression that Elias doesn't like to spend too much on relievers

Not sure about Givens either. Maybe bring him back on on a milb deal/ST invite if he doesn't end pitching this season

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Flaherty signs a 5.4M deal with the Cards in January.

I don't think I'd offer him a QO even if I could (19.65M).

If he finishes the rest of the year looking like an ace and we could get draft pick compensation for doing so, I'd totally do it. At his age, he'd make way more than that on the open market. But we can't, so it doesn't matter.

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Hicks can choose where he wants to go, he is guaranteed $10M each of the next two seasons under his Yankees contract, so he can sign wherever he wants for the minimum next year. My guess is he will want somewhere with a chance for more playing time than the Orioles could offer.

I would be surprised if any of them return besides potentially Flaherty. I expect them to sign a mid-range starter in the $10-15M per year for 3-4 years range. If he likes it here, he could be a fit for that type of contract.

Hicks might want to play for a championship here.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

If he finishes the rest of the year looking like an ace and we could get draft pick compensation for doing so, I'd totally do it. At his age, he'd make way more than that on the open market. But we can't, so it doesn't matter.

No QO allowed. No draft picks. 

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Hicks might want to play for a championship here.

Maybe. I'm not sure the Orioles would have room for him. If Cowser and Mullins are on the roster, Hicks doesn't really add anything as a third guy that can play CF. Would rather have McKenna who plays better defense and could pinch-run as a 26th man. Although McKenna is out of options next year and I can't see him staying on the 26-man roster all season next year.

• Upvote 1

We have no idea what will go down, id say focus is on the now but for sake of the thread i would say the Outfield is the biggest question this coming offseason, Elias likely adds pitching via trades/free agency but any, heck all of Mullins, Santander, Hays could be traded away this offseason(their max value), now i doubt all 3 will BUT it's possible they could deal any of them. A lot of that has to do with where they see Kjerstad as a full time OF or a Santander type, how Cowser finishes, Mullins health etc. -- Frazier replacement is already in AAA... Gibson can be replaced for cheaper or Cole Irvin slots up to his spot, if Fujinami dont find consistency he might not find a job at the MLB level. -- Lets enjoy the next 2 hopefully 3 months first!