Our Free Agents

Bahama O's Fan

They have a ways to go before an extension can be seriously considered.

By comparison, some offseason starting pitchers who are available as free agents...

Shohei Ohtani

Blake Snell

Sonny Gray

Eduardo Rodriguez (if he opts out)

Marcus Stroman

Clayton Kershaw

Julio Urias

Andrew Heaney (opt out)

Jordan Montgomery 

Bullpen.. 

Josh Hader

Liam Hendricks (club opt out)

David Robertson 

• Upvote 1

I guess Prieto/Rom/Showalter are gray area for "better than a Comp A pick?" same as Flaherty would have been a gray area for STL whether to risk Flaherty taking a 1/20 offer from them ala current Rangers middle reliever Martin Perez.

It'll be fun to see if Prieto and Rom can become decent Goldy/Arenado supporting cast guys for the retool STL is I guess hoping to pull off.

10 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I am skeptical to lose too many players, since this team are winners, the team chemistry is here.

majority of their replacements from AAA like Ortiz/Norby/Kjerstad/Mayo/Hall or injury returns already been playing together. 

Mateo -> Ortiz

Frazier -> Norby

Gibson -> Means

Flaherty -> Irvin/Wells/Addition or Hall to rotation

Hicks -> Cowser/Kjerstad

Fujinami -> Tate

... never really had Givens. -- Major rotation add could push someone to the pen or go after a big time RP. 

Mayo/Holliday lurking. 

I think this off-season will be the one where Elias trades a top prospect(s) to land an established star player (likely pitcher). I think Elias might have done  it at the trade deadline, but there was only a limited number of sellers and asking prices were crazy.

During the off-season teams that weren't sellers will be more open to major roster moves. Better chance to get a pitcher when every team is evaluating their roster without the context of chasing a playoff spot.

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agreed. If Flaherty blows up and dominates in the playoffs that could drive his price up on the free agent market with other teams thinking he could be the ace of their rotation.

Cardinals fans were making a big deal about Flaherty being from California and apparently wishing to play on the west coast. Curious minds will have to pay attention after the season to see how true that is and where he chooses sign for next season.

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think this off-season will be the one where Elias trades a top prospect(s) to land an established star player (likely pitcher). I think Elias might have done  it at the trade deadline, but there was only a limited number of sellers and asking prices were crazy.

During the off-season teams that weren't sellers will be more open to major roster moves. Better chance to get a pitcher when every team is evaluating their roster without the context of chasing a playoff spot.

I'm just glad we didn’t give up thr farm for an over rated player like Cease.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

According to 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/baltimore-orioles/

Our free agents are: Flaherty, Frazier, Gibson, Givens and Hicks. Isn't Fujinami a free agent too? 

So...thoughts? Should we try to resign any? Which ones? Why? Will we spend the money to maybe extend them before the season is over? Can we give a QO to Flaherty?

From what I've seen so far (SSS) maybe Flaherty and Fujinami.  No need to bring back Frazier, Givens or Hicks.  Gibson is a slight maybe, depending on how Means performs after he returns.  

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Cardinals fans were making a big deal about Flaherty being from California and apparently wishing to play on the west coast. Curious minds will have to pay attention after the season to see how true that is and where he chooses sign for next season.

My understanding is that there were a fair amount of fans there that were upset that he supported caused like Black Lives Matter.  When he was traded I read some of their good riddance reactions. I could see that turning into him wanting to go back to California is certain fans’ eyes.  I guess we will see though. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

They have a ways to go before an extension can be seriously considered.

By comparison, some offseason starting pitchers who are available as free agents...

Shohei Ohtani

Blake Snell

Sonny Gray

Eduardo Rodriguez (if he opts out)

Marcus Stroman

Clayton Kershaw

Julio Urias

Andrew Heaney (opt out)

Jordan Montgomery 

Bullpen.. 

Josh Hader

Liam Hendricks (club opt out)

David Robertson 

Hendriks just had TJ surgery. He isn’t expected to pitch next year.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

My understanding is that there were a fair amount of fans there that were upset that he supported caused like Black Lives Matter.  When he was traded I read some of their good riddance reactions. I could see that turning into him wanting to go back to California is certain fans’ eyes.  I guess we will see though. 

Yea, I saw a few things. He seems to be an outspoken liberal guy, so that may rub some fans the wrong way…just as it may make some fans really like him.

West coast seems appropriate for him from that standpoint of things (although MD is similar).

But none of this matters right now. All that matters is that he pitches well for us for the next 2+ months.