Return of Buck

Birds08

As much as it sucks for this to get re-hashed here all over again... Yeah, that quote from Buck just rubs me the wrong way. If you're wearing it... then wear it. Don't make vague comments to deflect blame and say you don't want to "hurt innocent people". Who could he possibly be talking about if it's not Britton himself?

It was apparent to me in the moment that he was playing his very rigid 'by-the-book' approach of not using your closer on the road unless you have a lead.

That said, I would be giving him a standing ovation right along with everyone else. It's hard-earned. I have *almost* nothing but great memories associated with his time here. He completely changed the losing culture here almost from day 1 that he arrived, at a time when I thought maybe it wasn't possible here in Baltimore anymore.

In case anyone wants a good read. Here's the game thread.

"Fun" kinda starts at page 158.

Vevejones007, "I might have an aneurysm if Buck doesn't bring in Britton to face the top of the order."

Rojo13, "You gotta go to Britton for two innings before you go back to the starters or dunking. We are going to lose this game without even getting a pitcher who just had one of the greatest regular seasons into the game."

My response to the pervious poster, "That's what i would have done."

Barnaby Graves, "If we lose this game pitching Brian f'ing Duensing with Britton in the pen I am going to run towards the nearest living thing and kill it."

Roy Firestone, "Something MUST be wrong with Zach. Theres no reason to NOT even have him warm up." then "Ubaldo here? I dont know about this. He hasnt relieved in months."

MDK02, "Oh God, please give us good Ubaldo!"

O's84, "Buck is getting greedy here, I know Ubaldo has been great lately but you gotta go Britton against the meat of the order here. Were increasingly risking losing this game without our best absolutely lights out pitcher taking the mound at all."

Bradybuns, " honestly think Buck's keeping his Britton powder dry. He plans on winning this game. Someone needs to close it out. If you pitch him now, given how our offense is going, that might deprive you of Britton when you really need him. It's risky - but it makes sense to me."

Tbone83, "I respect what Ubaldo has done of late but I fear the walk off is coming."

jjnono, "I'm fine with Ubaldo, just so long as - if he blows it - Buck takes the blame at the post-game press conference."

O'sfansincehthe80s "This is on Buck, why no Britton????"

Lookit'sPuck "Buck is an idiot sorry"

Home run happens

bluedog, "Buck should be fired tomorrow. You can't leave Britton on the bench there."

Me, "And that my friends is why Buck has never reached the World Series!"

SteveA, "The best pitcher in baseball sat and watched for 11 ****ing innings.

Inexcusable.

Inexcusable.

If Britton isn't hurt there is just no excuse"

Me again as it was sinking in, "Not pitching Britton is one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen. Sorry, but it's a fireable offense. Showalter is a loser in the playoffs. He makes headscratching decisions and gets away with it but it caught up to him."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

He did not name specific names but he does kinda try to deflect blame, hinting that he could name names if he wanted (while also claiming to "wear it"). I wonder what he is even talking about. 

That's how it read to me too. Like: "It's my responsibility to not blame anyone, because that would suck for them, so I won't do that (to them). You're welcome (you out there, I'm not blaming publicly even though I have the opportunity to). (Wink)."

Still really enjoyed Buck.

35 minutes ago, slakattack said:

I appreciate what Buck Showalter did for and meant to the Orioles - I really do, we had some great times.

However, since we are on THAT topic - was there anyone watching that game that night (other than Buck) who did not know that when Ubaldo climbed the hill, the game was a good as over?

Nobody posting in the game thread that I can recall.

I hope Buck gets an ovation because what he did for the O's from 2011 to the end of 2016 far outweighs the Ubaldo decision and the 2017-2018 decline he was certainly partially responsible for.

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He did not name specific names but he does kinda try to deflect blame, hinting that he could name names if he wanted (while also claiming to "wear it"). I wonder what he is even talking about. 

Well, when he can deflect 100% of the blame, it’ll be a different story. 

Buck’s been wearing it for 7 years. You can’t mention him on here without Britton like 5 seconds later. Look at this thread. 

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hoped that since he had looked better recently that this was going to be a good move but I knew better.

+1, I am always an optimist when it comes to the O's. Ubaldo actually had a good second half and was a reasonable choice. Once he got the first two guys on it was obvious what was happening but too late to change course.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Well, when he can deflect 100% of the blame, it’ll be a different story. 

Buck’s been wearing it for 7 years. You can’t mention him on here without Britton like 5 seconds later. Look at this thread. 

Truly wearing it would mean accepting responsibility, which he at least partially deflects in these comments. 

• Upvote 1

I despise Buck.  Not only tactically as a manager, but also how he handles the media and never takes accountability for mistakes he clearly makes. His quote about "wearing it" is classic Buck deflection.

He's going to get fired again soon after winning Manager of the Year for a whopping 4th time. That says a lot not only about how organizations, players, media, and fans perceive him at first, but also how he then ultimately performs as a manager. 

Buck is a bad manager, and wildly overrated.

Edited by Brooks The Great
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In case anyone wants a good read. Here's the game thread.

Looking back, putting Reimold in as a defensive sub may have been just as bad and equally critical as going with Ubaldo there. At least with Britton you can argue that he would still be needed to close, but I see no valid argument for playing Reimold in that situation as we had Stubbs available.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Truly wearing it would mean accepting responsibility, which he at least partially deflects in these comments. 

...okay, the last 7 years don't count for anything?

And unless he's naming a name or telling exactly what happened in that moment, he's not deflecting anything. 

If you think he's deflecting it, explain who he's throwing under the bus?

I honestly don't understand the Buck love. I always thought he came across as a sarcastic curmudgeon and lacked the ability to even show an ounce of humilty, even when the situation clearly called for it. I also hated the way he handled Hyun-Soo Kim and suspect that he had Angelos ear in terms of lobbying for the Chris Davis contract.  Yes he brings a certain "culture" to the teams that he manages, but he typically wears out his welcome after a few years largely because of his stubborness. This year with the Mets is classic Buck. Earlier in the season when they still had a shot to contend he refused to play some of the younger players with any regularity over some of the underperforming vets. And I suspect he'll be out of (another) job when the season ends.  But as most of you have suggested, I'm sure he'll be cheered because we tend to view nostalgia through rose tinted glasses.