OPACY Is Not Ready For The Playoffs

cboemmeljr

3 hours ago, cboemmeljr said:

One observation from last night's sell out game:  the Park is not ready for the playoffs.  The new food vendor, Brick and Whistle, is ill prepared for those crowds.  My son waited in line for three innings for food.  Two other friends waited that long as well.  It was sheer chaos on Eutaw St. and in the parking lots as well.  If they don't get their stuff together, there will be many, many unhappy fans.   

I normally try to avoid eating at the stadium but I took my nephew last Sunday to a sold out game against the Yankees, and I was pleasantly surprised to see how fast the food line was moving. We got some foot from Jimmy's Famous Seafood and they had a line wrapped all the way around the concorse. But it was quick and efficient like a Chik-Fil-A drive through.

As for the parking, I have to wonder if all the new inexperienced workers they just hired from their job fare Monday are the cause of these issues. They did say they were hiring for the playoff run, so maybe it was a lot of people's first days on the job. If that's the case then it's easy to imagine that they will be alot more experienced and trained by the time the playoffs begin.

When we went for the soccer jersey giveaway I had a long line for the chicken tenders place in the 300 sections. We get back to eat it and my wife bites into the chicken tender and it was cold and not fully done. I doubt we will be eating concessions next time we go. Might be an eat dinner before we go type of situation for the playoffs. 

The O's last week announced they were hiring stadium help for the end of the season through the playoffs. I decided to go and apply.

I was in line to have an interview and talking with one of the guys who were running things. He said that they expected about 500 people to apply for positions.

Now, who knows how many people actually showed up to apply for positions, and who knows how many they'll hire, but apparently, they were willing to at least talk to 500 people, so that tells you they aren't looking to fill one or two positions.

• Upvote 1

I usually go to Jimmy Johns before going to the park.  Food is better and less expensive.  Bring in snack foods and get free soda and water at the clubhouse for season ticket holders.  I rarely buy  food at the park.  I don't like the lines or prices.

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Maybe someone tipped off John Angelos to the fact that if you hire people to work at the games you have to pay them.

Is it because the Orioles spent so much money on payroll there's nothing left for vendor employees?

• Haha 1

I think they know this. I saw a job ad campaign recently and they're looking to fill all positions.

The hospitality industry as a whole is a little bumpy right now in Baltimore. Granted, this was nearly 11 years ago now, but we had our room block and wedding reception at the Marriott Inner Harbor, and still stay there routinely when we head up for games from NOVA. That hotel is majorly rundown now compared to our wedding weekend. They simply have not touched it since then.

I had a similar issue last time we were up for - I think - a Mariners game earlier this year. Was easily a 30 minute wait at the self-checkout grill on the club level. The line didn't move for the first 20 minutes I was in line because the patron at the end couldn't figure out how to work the kiosk, and I don't think anyone that worked there knew how to either. 

I was at last night's game,  there was a major crush of people at the intersection Eutaw st, the gates on Eutah(north), and the scoreboard.   This was at 5:10,  almost two hours before the start.  I think the combination of the bobblehead giveaway that no one wanted to miss  so were there early and the discounted happy hour in the picnic area led to this.

I extremely rarely buy food at the stadium and brought in a bag of peanuts and twizzlers and bottle of water .  Saying that, I think the food is much better than had been recently.

This Food Insider video rated OPACY's Stubby's Crab Mac and Cheese Dog the best food item from any of the big league parks.  Has anyone tried it?  The video is a few years old so not sure if it's still served but hoping it is.  I don't live in the Maryland area these days but still hope to make it to an O's game or two.

9 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

It was a disaster when I attend a game a few weeks ago.

The food quality was horrendous.  The lines were endless.  Just an awful experience.  

They need to start all over from scratch...

I don't think any (major) team does it from scratch.  They need to hold their vendor responsible.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think any (major) team does it from scratch.  They need to hold their vendor responsible.

Orioles don’t help with how they run the stadium. Only use the Eutaw Street gates as entrances. Whole experience is a madhouse. 

Even with big crowds years ago the issues you see now never happened.