Does Buck Showalter belong in the Orioles’ Hall of Fame?

Frobby

Does Buck belong in the Orioles’ Hall of Fame?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Does Buck Showalter belong in the Orioles Hall of Fame?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/23 at 16:21

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You mean the family that signed him to be the GM and let him keep the job for the better part of a decade?

I'm thinking about the Toronto fiasco where he was interviewing for a position without their knowledge.   I don't think the relationship was the same after that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's the Orioles Hall of Fame, the rules are whatever they want the rules to be. But I wouldn't be opposed to putting Buck and Duquette in at the same time.

Yes, Duquette mortgaged the future. But what else was he going to do? It appears that his marching orders from Angelos were to not sign any big free agents, keep the payroll in check, don't fix the farm system... and go win a pennant.

Right and he was unquestionably a key person is turning around the team after years of being garbage. 

Buck was great at changing the culture and I don’t know that Duq had a hand in that but he did put the teams together, especially pre 2015, so I think there is an argument there if you put Buck in.

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's what wikipedia says.

Julie did community relations. She had to have been there for 25+ years. 

I can see them putting in people like her based on their contributions to the organization “behind the scenes”.

Those people matter too. We just don’t see that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Julie did community relations. She had to have been there for 25+ years. 

I can see them putting in people like her based on their contributions to the organization “behind the scenes”.

Those people matter too. We just don’t see that.

I'm not at all against that. It's nice to recognize them. Just saying that 99% of fans have no idea who some of these people are.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

No way Duquette gets in.  I'm sure the Angelos family will not allow that.

Technically, they have no say.  I must say, intellectually I have a hard time constructing an argument for Buck being in and Duquette being out.  But Buck was far more beloved by the fan base.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Technically, they have no say.  I must say, intellectually I have a hard time constructing an argument for Buck being in and Duquette being out.  But Buck was far more beloved by the fan base.  

I thought Duquette did a decent job with what he had to work with.  I don't think he wanted to invest that money into Chris Davis, but he really didn't have a choice.   His big blunder was not informing the Angelos family about the Toronto job opportunity.   I think he fell out of favor with them after that happened.

Just out of curiosity, who determines nominees for the O's HOF?

Of course he belongs.

He took a 32-73 team and finished 34-23 in 2010. There was an immediate change.

“You just had to give them something to trust. That was the big thing. When I got there, we didn’t want to give them a lot of lip service. Show them. They had their hearts broken a lot. The Orioles mean a lot to the fans there. They got behind something they could trust.” https://www.mlb.com/news/buck-showalter-returns-to-baltimore-for-first-time

He managed the O's to 93 wins and a playoff appearance in 2012....after 14 losing seasons. He should have won MOY that season imo, he was basically robbed.

ALCS appearance in 2014. They got swept, however, they were one series away from the WS (without Manny and Davis). MOY for Buck that year (and it could very easily have been his 2nd in 3 seasons). 

18 months after he arrived and following 14 years of losing records, they started a 5 year run as the winningest team in the AL.

They SUCKED and he made them relevant again.

After the current O’s win their pennant and WS, Buck, Duquette & Adam Jones can go in together in the same year.  It will be cute then, not momentous.  Schedule it for a Saturday home game vs the Padres so Manny can be there!

Edited by JimGinSP
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely. He led us back to some glory from the dark depths.

The Britton thing is the most overblown, silly thing. Rewatch the game. Anyone that says they would've brought him in over Ubaldo, would've already burnt him in the bottom of the 5th using their logic. When it was 1st and 3rd 1 out in a tie game. They would've then been without Britton, even if he pitched multiple innings where we shut them down anyway (so he actually only could've done worse if pitching), and if ever gotten to a save scenario they would be destroyed (even more than Buck has) for using the closer early. But I digress and it's been rehashed enough.

I say no.  He's in the tier below for me.  

A few good years for sure.  It lines up with Angelos' high-water spending, hitting on Machado, signing a few good FAs, and ultimately selling the future and leaving it with the Davis contract.  Not enough short-term playoff success compared to long-term wasteland he left us.

Culture lasts longer than the person.  Buck wasn't worried about culture.