Does Buck Showalter belong in the Orioles’ Hall of Fame?

Frobby

Does Buck belong in the Orioles’ Hall of Fame?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Does Buck Showalter belong in the Orioles Hall of Fame?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/12/23 at 16:21

8 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

The results of this poll really kind of surprise me.  I would expect maybe 90/10 yes/no because there's always people who like to be contrarian. But this...It's kind of like some of us had different experiences as an Orioles fan.

I guess some set the bar at winning the WS. That's fine, but then we need to get a lot of guys out of there. Nobody since Cal should qualify. 

Only Earl won more games and managed more games in almost 70 years of this current Orioles history. 

1 hour ago, ledzepp8 said:

The results of this poll really kind of surprise me.  I would expect maybe 90/10 yes/no because there's always people who like to be contrarian. But this...It's kind of like some of us had different experiences as an Orioles fan.

If it weren’t for his last 2 years and the Britton thing I think it would be a blowout. I don’t think it’s clear cut but I do think the good outweighs the bad.  

Just now, dystopia said:

If it weren’t for his last 2 years and the Britton thing I think it would be a blowout. I don’t think it’s clear cut but I do think the good outweighs the bad.  

I don't know. I just think certain things should outweigh the others. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Joe Altobelli isn't in the Orioles Hall of Fame and he won a World Series here.  

Your move.

Altobelli was a good babysitter. That didn’t make him a good manager. Apples and Oranges as far as I’m concerned. Buck had a very good team that underperformed in the playoffs. That was the criticism in NYY as well. And he had an owner that spent $100 million on 2023 salaries in order to bring in Scherzer, Verlander, Quintana, and whomever else I missed. I’d say he’s underperformed as a manager. I personally wouldn’t have any Orioles manager after Weaver in the Orioles hall of fame. That includes Davey Johnson that couldn’t get it done with the team that was loaded with Surhoff, Alomar Brady, etc. 

And I don’t think Altobelli belongs either but if he was given a pass for the WS I wouldn’t be mad. 

BTW, no Orioles GM would be since the 70s! The 80s, 90s, and beyond were poor at drafting and developing talent. The players that were drafted after Cal have been pedestrian as a group. Yes they’ve had a few hits but even many of them underperformed. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Altobelli was a good babysitter. That didn’t make him a good manager. Apples and Oranges as far as I’m concerned. Buck had a very good team that underperformed in the playoffs. That was the criticism in NYY as well. And he had an owner that spent $100 million on 2023 salaries in order to bring in Scherzer, Verlander, Quintana, and whomever else I missed. I’d say he’s underperformed as a manager. I personally wouldn’t have any Orioles manager after Weaver in the Orioles hall of fame. That includes Davey Johnson that couldn’t get it done with the team that was loaded with Surhoff, Alomar Brady, etc. 

And I don’t think Altobelli belongs either but if he was given a pass for the WS I wouldn’t be mad. 

BTW, no Orioles GM would be since the 70s! The 80s, 90s, and beyond were poor at drafting and developing talent. The players that were drafted after Cal have been pedestrian as a group. Yes they’ve had a few hits but even many of them underperformed. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Why are you talking about Buck and what he's done with the Mets as if it has anything to do with his candidacy for the Orioles Hall of Fame?

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's the Orioles Hall of Fame, the rules are whatever they want the rules to be. But I wouldn't be opposed to putting Buck and Duquette in at the same time.

Yes, Duquette mortgaged the future. But what else was he going to do? It appears that his marching orders from Angelos were to not sign any big free agents, keep the payroll in check, don't fix the farm system... and go win a pennant.

Buck yes. Duquette no .. his Toronto dalliance kills any further thought 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Sorry Team….As a manager Buck has underperformed everywhere. Couldn’t win with Verlander and Scherzer. Had good teams here abd New York. But carry on Moose. 

I would put him just for his 2012 team.  The extra inning winning and getting a playoff spot and taking the Yankees to the wire was great.  

53 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Buck yes. Duquette no .. his Toronto dalliance kills any further thought 

That Toronto thing was bizarre in the extreme.  We had hired him after NO one would hire him for a decade and he started talking about working for a club in our own division?  It wasnt like a promotion where teams will let you go ahead and leave like scouting director to GM.  He was the GM.  His job in Toronto was to be the GM.  

He showed a weird lack of loyalty.  

I heard a theory that Duquette is autistic and has some blind spots in his perceptions of what is correct behavior.  

It is a very low bar. Buck should be in for ending the 14 year darkness and I personally give him bonus points for outlasting his welcome and causing the total rebuild. 

Im on board with DD too. He said he intended to win from day one and did. I don’t begrudge him in the Toronto thing. They were interested in a promotion and PA said no. But as I have said elsewhere I am happy they are both gone. 

Now about the owner.