Saturday August 12: Orioles try to even series in Seattle

SteveA

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I think the answer depends not only on talent, but where you see that talent fitting on this particular team.  For example, if we didn’t have Gunnar and Westburg, I don’t think you’d even dream about trading Holliday.   But since we do, trading Holliday is feasible.   And I think he’s the one I’d trade, for a couple of reasons: 1.  He’s the highest ranked of the three, and would bring back the most in a trade. 2.  The fact that Mayo is right-handed has a lot of value to us because our top younger guys are LH-heavy.   3.  Basallo probably will end up four years behind Adley service-time wise, and gives us great flexibility to use them as a tandem, or trade Adley at some point, or just ride with Adley in through his Arb years and then hand the primary catcher gig to Basallo.  He’s also very capable at 1B, not something I’m sure I can say about Mayo at this point.    I’d hate to trade any of the three, but that’s my current thinking.     
    • I think the 16% is a little misleading. It isn't that Cowser would only play 16% of the time but he'd get 16% of the OF abs, which would equate to about 50% playing time. I want him playing more like 75% of the time, so I think that's low, but he'll need to start performing better to hold Hays off, if Hays is going to continue to hit as he has since he came back from the DL.
    • 2b is above the corner outfield on the defensive spectrum and about even with 3b.  So Holliday, if he develops into a good 2b will provide defensive value. We'll see where Mayo ends up full-time, but I'm not willing to relegate him to 1b just yet. While your point isn't exactly incorrect, it is still about risk in my assessment.  Basallo is the least likely to stick at C, and if he doesn't stick there, there's no RF option like there is for Mayo.
    • I chose Holliday not because I think that either of Basallo or Mayo are better prospects but given the Boras factor, the Gunnar entrenched at SS factor, the Westy factor, that Holliday probably is who lands the best return of the three (and for me, this four-year Gunnar/Adley window HAS to be prioritized) I just think that JH is who I would move. It would sting.. boy, it would sting but I would expect the return to be something in line with peak Chris Sale. Who that is currently in the league, I am not sure. I don't know that anyone of that level is even available. A true top of the rotation guy with some controllable years is what would HAVE to come back for me. I don't know if either of Mayo or Basallo get you that without having to tap more into the top 10 prospects. I just think that the combo of Gunnar, Westy, Mayo, Basallo and the TOR guy is better net value over the next four or five years than Gunnar, Westy, Mayo, TOR/Gunnar, Westy, Basallo, TOR.   
    • I'm with you; I'd love to pick up a high upside HS bat with one of our first two picks.  And it would be good timing for the system as this hypothetical HS prospect would ideally be major league ready right when some of our current players are hitting free agency....building a pipeline...
    • So we should all be A-Twitter?   😄    I'll stick with OH. 
    • Consider Positional Value. 2B and 1B are the lowest of the starting 8. Catcher is the highest. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now