Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

I knew this was going to be the move, but it is still frustrating. Over his last 80 plate appearances, Hicks has a line of .203/.300/.304 and unlike with Cowser's similarly poor MLB line, I have two plus years of data with Hicks that suggest it isn't going to get much better.

Hopefully Cowser takes advantage of playing every day at Norfolk and gets back into a groove over the next couple weeks.

I don't understand bringing Hicks back at this point. I can't really see him making the playoff roster as he doesn't have a single elite skill at this point in his career. I would certainly rather have Kjerstad and McKenna on the playoff roster over Hicks. Can probably carry Ortiz as well, since you don't need close to a full 13-man pitching staff, given all the off days.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I knew this was going to be the move, but it is still frustrating. Over his last 80 plate appearances, Hicks has a line of .203/.300/.304 and unlike with Cowser's similarly poor MLB line, I have two plus years of data with Hicks that suggest it isn't going to get much better.

Hopefully Cowser takes advantage of playing every day at Norfolk and gets back into a groove over the next couple weeks.

I don't understand bringing Hicks back at this point. I can't really see him making the playoff roster as he doesn't have a single elite skill at this point in his career. I would certainly rather have Kjerstad and McKenna on the playoff roster over Hicks. Can probably carry Ortiz as well, since you don't need close to a full 13-man pitching staff, given all the off days.

Hicks still plays a good centerfield.  Cowser looked very suspect there and looks more like a corner outfielder at this point and even that was not that impressive with some poor throws.  You could argue McKenna is better fit to help with defensive replacement then both though.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I'm really excited for Cowser's future (and most of our young guys) but I couldn't disagree more. Cowser's season long line of .115/.286/.148 is just not nearly good enough to run him out there for a team competing for the playoffs. Locking in on Hicks' recent 80 PA as opposed to his full 152 PA tenure in Baltimore (.252/.349/.435) seems a bit too selective as well. Hyde/Elias clearly value ML experience, especially when the rookie in question is struggling as much as Cowser has to this point. 

I agree with this. I think for the playoff push, Hicks is the better fit on this team right now. Cowswer needs to play everyday and I would expect him to make the 2024 team and play regularly. 

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Mateo is make of teflon.  

Did you not see him pinch running yesterday? I am no Mateo fan and think he should not be on the roster next season, but he needs to be on the playoff roster as a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Did you not see him pinch running yesterday? I am no Mateo fan and think he should not be on the roster next season, but he needs to be on the playoff roster as a late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner.

The O's very own Dave Roberts.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

It will be interesting to see if Cowser gets an expanded roster callup in September. Stowers and Kjerstad have both been hitting well at AAA and may have a clearer bench role as a power pinch-hitter bat. 

Stowers is 2-30 in the last 2 weeks with 13 strikeouts.  He is very far from coming up.  

• Upvote 1