One key to Orioles success

brucewayne

3 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

Good post, and got me thinking. Could the Orioles be the team that swings the pendulum back from the current home run or bust mindset of the league? They are certainly bucking the trend in many ways, and it remains to be seen if other teams will attempt to mimic this model going forward. That would be different for us Os fans!!!

I was wondering and sort of marveling at the same thing.  The number of times our guys got the bat on the ball and have gone opposite field for hits - rbi hits - rally starting hits, especially, this year alone is greater than the total those power teams we had from 2012-2017.  Sure HR's matter, and we are at 139 - nothing to sneeze at, but a run is a run and these guys are doing it with situational hitting and taking what they can get to all fields.  That's really impressive.

12 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

Dont we lead the league in bullpen WAR? 

I don’t know, but in my opinion, WAR based stats don’t determine whether a bullpen is “lockdown.”   For me, lockdown means that once the team has the lead, that game is over.   Last year’s pen was pretty much a lockdown pen. The 2012-16 teams had lockdown pens.   This bullpen is not on par with those, Felix’s heroics notwithstanding.  

2012: 75% save rate

2013: 68%

2014: 75%

2015: 74%

2016: 79%

2022: 78%

2023: 61%

People absolutely murdered Jim Johnson in 2013 for blowing 8 saves in 58 chances (86.2% save rate).   Felix, great as he’s been, has a lower save rate this year (84.2%) than JJ did in 2013.   And JJ had a better supporting cast.   

(I don’t want to digress too far.  I’m not saying 2013 JJ > 2023 FB overall.  But I do think the 2013 bullpen as a whole was more reliable than this one.  And, I always felt that JJ, who had a ridiculous workload in 2012-13, took way too much heat for his 8 blown saves in 2013.)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

Do you think we can afford Freddie Freeman, Mookie Betts, Aaron Judge, etc. 

Well yes they can(every team can) but that’s not really relevant to the point.

They aren’t placing anymore emphasis on most of these things than most teams are.

As an organization, they place more value in the draft on position players vs pitchers and that differs from other teams but that’s about it.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well yes they can(every team can) but that’s not really relevant to the point.

They aren’t placing anymore emphasis on most of these things than most teams are.

As an organization, they place more value in the draft on position players vs pitchers and that differs from other teams but that’s about it.

Why did the sign Frazier? Why did they take Kjerstad? Or Rutschman over Witt? Or Holliday over Jones? There is without doubt emphasis on hitting the baseball over tools.

2 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

Why did the sign Frazier? Why did they take Kjerstad? Or Rutschman over Witt? Or Holliday over Jones? There is without doubt emphasis on hitting the baseball over tools.

Well if the emphasis was on hitting the baseball, they would have taken Martin over Kjerstad since Martin was supposed to have a great hit tool.

You said they prioritize hitting the ball over other teams yet the facts say other teams hit the ball much better than the Os.

The Os are 12th in xBA. They are 8th in exit velo, 10th in hard hit% and 17th in barrel%. You know what team is basically #1 in all of those categories?  The Braves.  So, by definition, they are valuing hitting the ball more than anyone.

The Orioles are doing what a lot of teams are doing and their way of doing things will improve as guys get more experience and more talent comes up.

But they aren’t reinventing the wheel here and any amount of research will show that. You saw something from Kenny, you are running with it and there are no facts to back you up. You are just throwing out cliches and conjecture.

Do some research and compare it to other teams before you go all Bull Durham on us but you should do it quick because I’m guessing your time is running out on this site…again..before you try again…again.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well if the emphasis was on hitting the baseball, they would have taken Martin over Kjerstad since Martin was supposed to have a great hit tool.

You said they prioritize hitting the ball over other teams yet the facts say other teams hit the ball much better than the Os.

The Os are 12th in xBA. They are 8th in exit velo, 10th in hard hit% and 17th in barrel%. You know what team is basically #1 in all of those categories?  The Braves.  So, by definition, they are valuing hitting the ball more than anyone.

The Orioles are doing what a lot of teams are doing and their way of doing things will improve as guys get more experience and more talent comes up.

But they aren’t reinventing the wheel here and any amount of research will show that. You saw something from Kenny, you are running with it and there are no facts to back you up. You are just throwing out cliches and conjecture.

Do some research and compare it to other teams before you go all Bull Durham on us but you should do it quick because I’m guessing your time is running out on this site…again..before you try again…again.

Snarky post. Who peed in your coffee?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t drink coffee.

And pointing out facts isn’t snarky.  If you want to put stuff out there, you have to be prepared to defend it with actual facts. You can’t do that. 

It's an internet forum man. It's not that serious. You don't have to go for the jugular and post about snarky response like a teenage girl. 

Just now, brucewayne said:

It's an internet forum man. It's not that serious. You don't have to go for the jugular and post about snarky response like a teenage girl. 

And you don’t have to keep coming back after being banned time after time but yet, here you are.

That said, if you put stuff out there, be prepared to back it up.

The interesting thing about the O's, really the unique thing is, our won/lost record has absolutely destroyed statistical analysis.  The stats say we'd be decent but we're the league's best.  

Our best stat is winning 1 run games.  So how do we win those games.  There is no stat to support that.