John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

But how do you define market?  Most on here and some in the media use population or cable penetration but those are really obsolete.  The most effective way is to look at population within a 30 minute commute, which puts the Orioles solidly in the middle certainly not a "small market".

Although the attached is dated the data has not shifted that dramatically.  The interesting thing for me was the opportunity to drive weekday game traffic, which runs counter to Angelos's plan to keep fans downtown which to me is more of weekend thing.

https://tinyurl.com/2wx4d68z

I'm not defending anything Honest Abe said, but wouldn't having 2 teams about 40 miles from each other sort of split the market? It's not like NY where 2 teams can easily be supported, hell, they could support 3 I'm sure.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And there we have it. Our first pro John Angelos post. Somebody had to do it. I think Tradeangelos' head just exploded somewhere though.

Having just finished reading this thread from start to current times, I'd guess the head explosion came from an overdose of obnoxious pills.  But I'm not a doctor, so don't hold me to that diagnosis.

Edited by Morgan423

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What did happen to Peter was that MLB came and took half of the drawing area when they put the Nationals in Washington.     Where he had an attendance of 3M at one point, after the Nationals came the attandance drop to half that.  He fought it hard.  Even doing a major no-no in suing MLB in court.  Something that owners are just never supposed to do. And not making friends doing it.

This is the environment that John Angelos took over in 2018.   Team was bad and expensive. MLB was mad at the O's ownership.  The GM and Manager had to go.

First off, some think the O's lost around 1/3 after the Nats.  Before the Nats arrived, attendance was last over 3M in Ripken's 2001 farewell year.  2002 attendance dropped over 13% to 2.68M  2005, Nats year 1, the O's still drew 2.6M.

"The  environment John took over" was Big Peter, through his meddling and mismanagement, saw 13 straight losing years.  2014, people believed again and 2.46M went through the turnstiles.   You can only fool the public so many times.   Father  and son, two compulsive liars, so blatant it's an insult to anyone who does the littlest bit of research.

Someone remind me, what percentage of revenues come from ticket sales.   Correct me if I'm wrong, but teams like the Orioles get more from MLB and their share of national TV revenues.   

Sell the damn team.   

54 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So the teams above 250 million payroll in 2023 are Mets, Yankees, Padres with Dodgers and Rangers just under 250. 

Which of those teams owners and markets are going to want an Elias type rebuild?  Adding and signing big name free agents or highvaluebig risk trades have not been demonstrated by Elias in Houston or here. 

None of those organizations are currently in top 5 farm systems either.  Mets are 11th and MFYs 21st 

Why do you assume that Elias would go to one of those teams and want to do a rebuild? There's more than one way to build a team, maybe Elias wants a crack at playing on easy mode at some point. 

29 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yeah, I was confused by people saying they would have to sell the team when Peter passes, I suspected a spouse didn't have to pay estate tax, thanks.

They might not have to sell the team if she gets it but she has expressed interest in not owning it going forward.  She can take advantage of the step-up basis once he passes to reduce capital gains taxes to zero.

4 minutes ago, deward said:

Why do you assume that Elias would go to one of those teams and want to do a rebuild? There's more than one way to build a team, maybe Elias wants a crack at playing on easy mode at some point. 

I agree.  Andrew Friedman does not manage the Dodgers like he managed the Devil Rays.

What bothers me so much about this article is the timing of it. We all knew he was a cheap bast*rd, but to once again take the attention away from the team / players and shine the spotlight on himself during a pennant race just to feed his ego is infuriating. I am so sick of seeing this man's face, hearing his voice and reading his words. What's next? John Angelos bobblehead night at the yard? Or maybe we can just replace the Oriole bird logo with a John Angelo headshot. It's like he's living in a world where he doesn't realize that the MIghty Gemstones is a parody and it's sad and pathetic. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, deward said:

Yeah real easy being Brian Cashman and Buck Showalter.  When did either of the NY teams win a championship? And if you think rebuilding is just spending more .. let me introduce you to Steve Cohen. 

A higher than 250 payroll team comes with other baggage and are far from “easy” .. both NY teams are where right now? 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

What bothers me so much about this article is the timing of it. We all knew he was a cheap bast*rd, but to once again take the attention away from the team / players and shine the spotlight on himself during a pennant race just to feed his ego is infuriating. I am so sick of seeing this man's face, hearing his voice and reading his words. What's next? John Angelos bobblehead night at the yard? Or maybe we can just replace the Oriole bird logo with a John Angelo headshot. It's like he's living in a world where he doesn't realize that the MIghty Gemstones is a parody and it's sad and pathetic. 

John Angelos is typical result of inheriting wealth and position and not earning it.

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm not defending anything Honest Abe said, but wouldn't having 2 teams about 40 miles from each other sort of split the market? It's not like NY where 2 teams can easily be supported, hell, they could support 3 I'm sure.

Hi Malike, I think he is using the MLB defined market areas which is listed in the CBA can't remember it exactly but PG and Montgomery are Nats territory which is why the DC market is bigger.  I also noticed he is using a 2000 census so the actual numbers skew more to the Nats.

• Thanks 1

All I want is an Orioles team that goes to the playoffs year after year and Wins a World Series every once in a while.   This other stuff is just noice to me.  I didn't get upset at the Connolly thing or the Kevin Brown thing or this article because I get to watch the O's play great baseball game after game.

Someone explain to this f***tard that the players don’t get expensive for another 4-5 years and that signing them now actually saves the team money.

Oh and that every team does it. I really hate this family. They really make me not want to be an Os fan anymore.

I for one would be fine if they moved the team.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

All I want is an Orioles team that goes to the playoffs year after year and Wins a World Series every once in a while.   This other stuff is just noice to me.  I didn't get upset at the Connolly thing or the Kevin Brown thing or this article because I get to watch the O's play great baseball game after game.

You get to watch that because of how the FO has done things. When that FO leaves and they will leave soon, no one worth a damn will come work for this POS, so we will be back in the 2000s again.

Hopefully we win a title soon because if they don’t, we could be in for a Cubs like run.