Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I understand people downplaying this alittle. That’s a common human defense mechanism. But this is really really bad news. 

Yeah, just feel like the official metaphorical axe is going to fall later today. The Orioles have some other good relievers and options, but Bautista isa special closer. Those are hard to replace, especially in the post season. Fuji probably has the best pure stuff   

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I have a wait to see approach on Bautista's injury.

I still think the only person the O's can't afford to lose is Mike Elias.

If the systems Elias built remain in place, then he's replaceable too (see the Rays and Andrew Friedman). 

That said, while anyone is replaceable, some losses will absolutely have bigger short term impact than others. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Maybe so. They all break. It sucks. So be it, that’s baseball.

Bautista was not the mountain before he got an opportunity. This is an opportunity for someone. We’ll see how it goes. 

Yep.  They all break.  Which is why it's so dumb to be so careful with counting pitches and limiting innings like is the modern practice.  Pitchers get injured just like they always have.  The difference is back in the day you were actually using your best pitchers and not limiting their time on the field.

1 hour ago, TopGunnar said:

I understand people downplaying this alittle. That’s a common human defense mechanism. But this is really really bad news. 

Don't really agree with calling it a defense mechanism.  I look at it more like talking the overreactors off the ledge.  As someone else said, every team goes through similar things, and the best teams still find ways to win.

I agree that it's bad news, every team and every fan base gets bad news.  Like I said earlier, it's how we overcome this - if there is a long absence -that will define this team.

58 minutes ago, btownoriole said:

Plus they’ll need to make a roster move.  My guess is we’ll see either Baumann or DL Hall since Wells pitched last night.

This is a scenario where I might actually favor seeing Hall. See if he can come up and get hot. If not, send him down right away and bring up Means or Wells.