Arm injury for Bautista?

Sports Guy

On 8/31/2023 at 2:48 PM, Just Regular said:

Some Dodgers game theory news in Jay Jaffe's column today.     I do wonder if games might be played if there's any squishy diagnosis like trying a few more pitches won't make anything worse.     He'd still have almost 18 months before Opening Day 2025 if procedure is Halloween or Labor Day, and a few games between now and then might mean a lot to him.

Gonsolin had apparently been pitching through a UCL tear, something he and the Dodgers knew based on imaging done after that June 13 start. Mindful of the concurrent losses of Dustin May and Julio Urías to the IL, Gonsolin elected to pitch through the injury. “I was just hoping I could make it through the season, put up good numbers and just post,” he told reporters. “I thought I had full capability to do that.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/tony-gonsolin-and-recent-tommy-john-surgery-trends/

Holy crap, he made 11 more starts after knowing he had a UCL tear and put up a 7.51 ERA over that time. 

If Bautista has a tear, I don't think there is any way he can effectively "pitch through it". If he has a strained/slight sprain maybe hey can rehab him and have him ready to pitch a pitch late in September into October, but you do have to wonder how effective he will be. 

Obviously I'm speculating since I don't have any insights other than what the Orioles have said (which is not much) about his injury. I guess the good news is he's still around and not under the knife yet so either they think it's not that bad, or they don't have enough conclusive evidence there's a tear.  

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Holy crap, he made 11 more starts after knowing he had a UCL tear and put up a 7.51 ERA over that time. 

If Bautista has a tear, I don't think there is any way he can effectively "pitch through it". If he has a strained/slight sprain maybe hey can rehab him and have him ready to pitch a pitch late in September into October, but you do have to wonder how effective he will be. 

Obviously I'm speculating since I don't have any insights other than what the Orioles have said (which is not much) about his injury. I guess the good news is he's still around and not under the knife yet so either they think it's not that bad, or they don't have enough conclusive evidence there's a tear.  

How is continuing to pitch through a partial UCL tear going to result in anything other than a full tear? I can't believe the Dodgers allowed that. Sounds like malpractice to me.

11 minutes ago, dystopia said:

How is continuing to pitch through a partial UCL tear going to result in anything other than a full tear? I can't believe the Dodgers allowed that. Sounds like malpractice to me.

No idea since I'm not a doctor, but seems crazy to let a guy pitch who you know has a UCL tear.

He could just be choosing to hang out with the team to support them right now.  These guys are his friends and teammates, and he is a part of a team making a playoff push.  Might be nothing more than that.

As far as him stretching and doing light warm ups on the field... he's an athlete in his 20s, and would be doing light work outs that don't exacerbate his injury anyway, to keep up his fitness level and stay in shape.  As long as he's not out there gunning baseballs across the field at high velocity, I don't think you can read a bunch into it. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

The only thing I can come up with is that they want to keep the competition guessing.

Yeah, I don't really see any competitive advantage from keeping this a secret so long.  In football, you definitely don't want the other team to know about your quarterback's arm injury or running back's knee injury.  But for baseball, the only thing I can think of is that it's related to the privacy of medical records, or maybe Bautista doesn't want the information public yet.  However, professional sports injuries are usually made public at some point.  They've certainly had enough time to do all the tests and get second and third opinions.

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I'm sure this was a mutual decision by the team and player after all parties were aware of the situation and risks.

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

It also seems nuts to me but I think the logic is that either way they are going to need the surgery. Whether it is a partial or complete tear they have to replace the ligament. Might as well pitch with it until it's completely gone if they can tolerate the pain. An analogy might be a transmission you know is going bad. If the remedy is to replace it, might as well keep driving it til you can't? (Note I am not a mechanic and have no idea if that is actually a sound analogy).