What was our weakness last Wednesday?

Idaho_OriolesFan

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Our weakness was that Kyle Gibson happened to have a terrible start and couldn't locate his pitches. He's been hit or miss since the All-Star break. He relies on good command because he doesn't have overwhelming stuff. 

Re: apathy - one thing to know about this Orioles team if you're new is that there is no apathy. That does not exist on this squad. 

There was apathy (or better yet, complacency) by the manager, not the players. He didn't treat the game as a must-win game and allowed an ineffective starter to stay in the game. All games from now on are must-win games. Tampa Bay is already winning again today.

Just now, Uli2001 said:

There was apathy (or better yet, complacency) by the manager, not the players. He didn't treat the game as a must-win game and allowed an ineffective starter to stay in the game. All games from now on are must-win games. Tampa Bay is already winning again today.

Okay that's interesting. I was kinda wondering the same thing: if the managers were holding back something they see as strategy to use for later. 

Now I am angry at Hyde again. The White Sox are out of it and were asking to be swept, get into the plane, and get home, in due order. If he pulls Gibson after the third, it's a 4-4 tie and a completely different game. Now he will have to get that win back at Arizona.

6 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

The commentators were speculating that he left the starter in because he didn't want to go deep into his relief reserves. 

Edited by Idaho_OriolesFan

40 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Now I am angry at Hyde again. The White Sox are out of it and were asking to be swept, get into the plane, and get home, in due order. If he pulls Gibson after the third, it's a 4-4 tie and a completely different game. Now he will have to get that win back at Arizona.

This is an overreaction in the worst of ways. No team is begging to be swept, no matter how bad teams are, they are going beat teams with better records. In fact, we're going to likely lose a dozen or more games this month, some likely to bad teams.

46 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Every game isn't a must-win game, if that is your mindset, September is going to be a cruel mistress for you.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Every game isn't a must-win game, if that is your mindset, September is going to be a cruel mistress for you.

I said that every game is a must-win game. I didn't say that every game is a win. There's not enough season left to save anything for. All hands on deck.

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

I said that every game is a must-win game. I didn't say that every game is a win. There's not enough season left to save anything for. All hands on deck.

You even suggesting that the manager is throwing in the towel is sort of silly. They aren't all must-win games, we have 29 games left, and we don't have to win all of them, the literal meaning of must-win is....you must win. That's false.

2 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

No.

Cleveland is in a must win situation.

The O's are almost certainly going to the playoffs.  That is what you save something for.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Malike said:

You even suggesting that the manager is throwing in the towel is sort of silly. They aren't all must-win games, we have 29 games left, and we don't have to win all of them, the literal meaning of must-win is....you must win. That's false.

Im not saying he threw in the towel. Nobody said that. What I did ponder is if he made the executive decision to risk one side instead of the other. Is it not possible that you could think, "Do I pull him or leave him? If I leave him then he might not get better and this game could get out of hand. However, if I pull him, then I have to go into my reserves. No matter what I choose I got to to stick with and own. Touch decision what do I do."?
*shrug*