Heston Kjerstad 2023

Spy Fox

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Someone please explain the connection between Kjerstad and Frazier.   They don't play the same positions.   Frazier as had 2 at bats at DHs all season.  Frazier is not blocking Kjerstad as far as I can tell.

Poster above was making the general point (correctly, in my opinion) that both Frazier and Hicks should be seeing less at bats.

Frazier isn't directly blocking Kjerstad, but Hicks certainly is. Hicks is literally blocking Kjerstad tonight and twice in three games.

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

Poster above was making the general point (correctly, in my opinion) that both Frazier and Hicks should be seeing less at bats.

Frazier isn't directly blocking Kjerstad, but Hicks certainly is. Hicks is literally blocking Kjerstad tonight and twice in three games.

This is correct. I’ve attempted to type this out on my phone six times now. The ghost links keep getting me. 

Frazier is not directly blocking HK but with the position flexibility the O’s possess, some of Frazier’s ABs (because he’s a lefty hitter) can go to HK when HK isn’t in the game. Hit for Frazier then insert Urias, Mateo or JW (whoever isn’t in the game) on defense. I would absolutely rather have HK’s bat at any point in the game, over Frazier’s…unless Frazier has crazy good numbers against the pitcher.

Hicks to a lesser extent because he’s a switch-hitter and a better defensive OF than HK. 

Edited by banks703

Nice to see Kjerstad collect a couple of hits today.  I’m still not sure I understand the reason why he was replaced by O’Hearn in LF with two outs in the 9th, but I understood Hyde to say it had to do with where Cano would be inserted into the lineup when he came into the game, but rather than a moved based on an idea that O’Hearn is a defensive upgrade over Kjerstad in the OF.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice to see Kjerstad collect a couple of hits today.  I’m still not sure I understand the reason why he was replaced by O’Hearn in LF with two outs in the 9th, but I understood Hyde to say it had to do with where Cano would be inserted into the lineup when he came into the game, but rather than a moved based on an idea that O’Hearn is a defensive upgrade over Kjerstad in the OF.  

This is how I understood him to explain it, also. He mentioned the possibility of having to go to Flaherty or Gibson if the game went to extras and the DH spot was 7 spots away in the order.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This was simply a double switch due to the fact that we had lost the DH and the pitcher's spot was now in the lineup. Kjerstad had made the last out in the top of the ninth so the double switch allowed Hyde to put Cano in Kjerstad's spot in the lineup to keep the pitcher's spot from coming up as late as possible. This allowed McCann to move into the number 6 spot in the order replacing Perez who officially had taken Hick's spot in the order. I'm not sure what the confusion was during the game unless the umpire was having a hard time understanding what Hyde wanted to do.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Kjerstad also hit the ball hard his first two ABs to the warning track. He looks very comfortable at the plate. 

I kind of felt this before anyway but Kjerstad > Cowser

Now, that doesn’t mean I don’t like Cowser or don’t think he won’t be good or that I don’t want to hand him a starting job next year but if I had to trade one or the other, I’m trading Cowser and if I could only start one on OD next year, it’s Kjerstad.

I know Cowser may be the more complete player but I’m still taking Kjerstad’s power as the one skill I feel will translate the most/best out of any skill either possesses and they both possess a lot of skill.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Malike said:

This is how I understood him to explain it, also. He mentioned the possibility of having to go to Flaherty or Gibson if the game went to extras and the DH spot was 7 spots away in the order.

Hyde is playing 3D chess. 

5 hours ago, hutchead said:

This was simply a double switch due to the fact that we had lost the DH and the pitcher's spot was now in the lineup. Kjerstad had made the last out in the top of the ninth so the double switch allowed Hyde to put Cano in Kjerstad's spot in the lineup to keep the pitcher's spot from coming up as late as possible. This allowed McCann to move into the number 6 spot in the order replacing Perez who officially had taken Hick's spot in the order. I'm not sure what the confusion was during the game unless the umpire was having a hard time understanding what Hyde wanted to do.

I think the question is why he shifted Hays to RF instead of sticking Kjerstad directly in RF. But Hyde probably had a reason, maybe due to the lefties coming up.

On 9/16/2023 at 6:43 PM, forphase1 said:

While not the source of all our problems, he's certainly part of the problem as he's not been hitting for quite a while now.   Plus, I highly doubt he's part of the solution either at this point. 

I believe that Aristotelian was being facetious--and if so, he's right.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I kind of felt this before anyway but Kjerstad > Cowser

Now, that doesn’t mean I don’t like Cowser or don’t think he won’t be good or that I don’t want to hand him a starting job next year but if I had to trade one or the other, I’m trading Cowser and if I could only start one on OD next year, it’s Kjerstad.

I know Cowser may be the more complete player but I’m still taking Kjerstad’s power as the one skill I feel will translate the most/best out of any skill either possesses and they both possess a lot of skill.

I’m not going to make any definitive judgments based on just a few at bats, but my gut instinct is that Kjerstad will be the better hitter.   I’d like to see both get a full opportunity to prove themselves though.