Saturday, September 16 O's v Rays

Morgan423

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I do have questions about Basallo’s progress as a catcher.   By my calculations, the Baysox have allowed 5.68 runs/game when Basallo has caught (25 games), 4.11 runs/game when others have caught.  We know that stats like CERA have a lot of noise in them, especially in a small sample, but 1.57 runs/game is a huge margin.  He’s also committed 4 errors and 4 passed balls in 25 games at C, and has caught only 22% of runners (8/36).   By comparison, Silas Ardoin has started 31 games at C and has only 2 errors and 2 PB, and has caught 40% of runners (16/40).    These are all superficial numbers, but they raise questions in my mind and I’d need someone who watches Basallo a lot and knows how to evaluate catchers to tell me how he rates behind the dish.    
    • This is a very simple yet incredibly accurate post regarding the two of JH and Gunnar. I think some of our folks have blinders due to the 1:1 draft position of JH and simply cannot let go of the idea of him being this all-world superstar SS because he was drafted as a SS. Wasn't Bryce Harper drafted 1:1 .... as a catcher and got moved to the outfield? Guys get drafted high as (insert whatever position) and are given the opportunity to play themselves off of that position year in and year out. I firmly believe that this is true with JH. That approach of 'well, he's probably best suited at a different spot but it only increases the strength of the organization if he can mature into a viable SS option so let's run out that groundball' is 100% what I believe that they did with him. I don't know how anyone who has spent time in instruction, scouting, playing above a HS level would not see the flaws in his defensive game. It's not only the arm and I agree that his elbow issues are likely from trying to increase his arm strength. I've given my opinion on what I've seen of him with my own eyes (more than 30 games worth) and I will continue to describe his SS prospects as you could stick him there (a la Manny 2018 and he won't kill you but he's never going to be the best defensive SS option. For an org like the O's who have demonstrated the importance of defense over and over and over again, they're just not going to stick weaker defender into a more important defensive role.. especially given that they have a current player there who may be the current best overall player in the game and has stated repeatedly that he views himself as a SS, wants to play SS and basically someone is going to have kill him to take it from him.  I share your belief that JH is going to fine and will figure out how to hit at the ML level in due time. He's going to be a very productive player for a long time but barring injury too Gunnar, I just do not see him EVER getting reps as a SS in Baltimore without some form of a Manny-type scenario where back in 2018 they slid him over to SS, knowing full-well that they were going to trade him that year and simply wanted to 1. appease Manny and 2. market him as a SS at the deadline, which they did. I stand by my original statement 18 months or so back.. JH's profile is best suited as a 2B but I do not rule out a move to the OF. 
    • Mateo is the more useful player so my preference would be the team trades Urias to open up a spot for Mayo. Mateo plays multiple positions pretty well and can pinch run. Trade Urias for a low level MILB player if that's the best Elias can get for him. I'd love to pick up a potential bullpen arm, but I don't think Urias getting you a decent pitcher in return.
    • I do fault Elias for not having a backup plan for Means. And relying on Tyler Wells as any kind of starter wasn't a great idea. Montgomery would have been great insurance. Bradish the O's found out about in February. Here were the available options at that date (mid Feb): Chase Anderson - uhh, no Brandon Woodruff - hurt at time of signing Brad Keller - career 4.50 (give or take) ERA guy with the FIP to match Domingo German - domestic violence, stinks in the minors with the Pirates right now Michael Lorenzen - would have been a good option, tbh Jordan Montgomery - would have been a good option Lorenzen and Montgomery would have been solid options/insurance.  Also, I disagree 100% on Povich. Definitely not a 5th starter *at best*. 
    • CHW GM Getz sure drives a hard bargain , smh . I guess Elias has wait and see what team(s) are offering for Crochet, then decide whether make last ditch offer 
    • Over the offseason, was there any pitching transactions better than ME acquisition of Burnes (#1 starter) and Kimbrel (closer)?  I guess I am confused at any “miscalculations” of the market when your GM is able to bring in from outside the organization the two most valuable pitching positions on the roster.
    • The thing is, they were never collapses after being good.  It was always a collapse from mediocrity to awfulness.  Didn't the O's in the "Dark Ages" have the official goal of reaching .500.  I can 't imagine that Elias has ever had a goal for the O's to be an average team.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now