Saturday, Sept 23: Orioles at Guardians

SteveA

Just now, Uli2001 said:

When there is good pitching, there's no hitting. When there is good hitting, there's no pitching.

During this period of struggle in September (arguably our most severe period of struggle all year), yes, you're right.

What's remarkable though is how infrequently this has been the case throughout the year. Most of the time, when our pitching is good, our hitting is good. And when one of them sucks, the other sucks, and we just lose the game - but that doesn't happen terribly often.

The 1-run games, the comebacks, and the generally aligned good pitching + good hitting have made the O's really stand out this year -- so far. September has been a bit of a regression to 2022, maybe even 2021.

Just now, spiritof66 said:

Watching both games, I get the feeling there was a call of all umpires where they decided that, because the pitchers on contending teams are all worn out, they should widen the strike zone in the final 9 days.

If you can’t hit 90 right down the middle, you lose the right to blame the ump.

2 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

During this period of struggle in September (arguably our most severe period of struggle all year), yes, you're right.

What's remarkable though is how infrequently this has been the case throughout the year. Most of the time, when our pitching is good, our hitting is good. And when one of them sucks, the other sucks, and we just lose the game - but that doesn't happen terribly often.

The 1-run games, the comebacks, and the generally aligned good pitching + good hitting have made the O's really stand out this year -- so far. September has been a bit of a regression to 2022, maybe even 2021.

I recall the Orioles being in a lot of close games all year, so I think they haven't put together good hitting and good pitching together very often. But it's usually the hitting that is good and the pitching that is not (especially late in games).

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

If I could pick one guy on the O's staff to pitch today and turn things around?

It would be John Means.  I love this guy and always have.  You can tell he is starting to feel his oats out there.  Getting back into the groove. 

He has that "I am the best look".

If Means gets back to 2021 pre injury form, I at least like the O's top 3 rotation.  Bradish, Grayson and Means is at least competitive w/ better teams.  Wouldn't mind adding a #1/2 type of course.