Manfred on Os moving (spoiler, it ain’t happening)

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

MLB would sue to remove Angelos as owner before he would be allowed to leave the city and Camden Yards. 

JA can pout and scream and do the things most spoiled-brats do even when they are adults, but the only thing he can do is to destroy the team from within by allowing Elias and his staff to leave.

I have a bigger fear of that than I do of the team moving.

Agree completely.  While Sig and Elias aren't perfect, I could not expect any better than what they have done...  Basallo, Bradfield, Mayo, Norby, Ortiz, Holliday.  Just such a good job.  Moving the LF fence back.  Plugging the holes with decent vets.  Really worried that Angelous drives them away.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

MLB would sue to remove Angelos as owner before he would be allowed to leave the city and Camden Yards. 

JA can pout and scream and do the things most spoiled-brats do even when they are adults, but the only thing he can do is to destroy the team from within by allowing Elias and his staff to leave.

Exactly!

Nobody likes Angelos.  The really good news for us is that the best way he can make the most money is to keep the team doing very well.  As long as he keeps Elias, he has a pretty reasonable shot at doing being successful.  I don't like the politics of driving this rent negotiation to the edge, but that doesn't make it likely the Orioles do not have a home in 2024.  

JA is a putz, but he has delivered Baltimore it's best team in the Angelos Era.  It started with Elias and as long as Elias wants to be here, JA would be hurting himself to let him go.

I have zero worries of the team moving under Angelos.

54 minutes ago, foxfield said:

M:B Baseball is never going to let Angelos move the Orioles.  Why this is still a question is absurd.  There is a better chance that they move to NY to become the Yankees.

Ha ha.  I see what you are doing.  The Yankees already were the Baltimore Orioles before.  

• Upvote 1

This is bad news. For 15 years or more I've been saying the Orioles won't move for the next few decades (after which my interest in the subject will be gone). I have posted probably dozens of times to present some of the reasons why the Orioles would not be permitted by MLB to relocate even if they wanted to. Something has finally happened  to shake my confidence in that conviction, just a little: Rob Manfred says the team won't move. That makes me worry. I suppose Manfred could be saying something that's true just by accident, like the monkey who types the complete works of Shakespeare. Still, I wish I hadn't known he said that. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

My fear as well. Starts this offseason with the Red Sox looking.

58 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Exactly!

Nobody likes Angelos.  The really good news for us is that the best way he can make the most money is to keep the team doing very well.  As long as he keeps Elias, he has a pretty reasonable shot at doing being successful.  I don't like the politics of driving this rent negotiation to the edge, but that doesn't make it likely the Orioles do not have a home in 2024.  

JA is a putz, but he has delivered Baltimore it's best team in the Angelos Era.  It started with Elias and as long as Elias wants to be here, JA would be hurting himself to let him go.

I have zero worries of the team moving under Angelos.

I would take exception to the nobody like John Angelos.  I have have never met the man and my only point of reference for liking or disliking him is how the franchise has been handled during his ownership.

Under his ownership:

The Orioles have ascended to the best record in the American League

The Orioles have the number 1 farm system in baseball

Estranged Orioles like Adam Jones and Eddie Murray have been embraced

The present looks great, the future looks great and the past is being recognized.

This is all I could want from the owner of my cherished franchise.  He does not have to be my friend I have enough of those.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kidrock said:

Agree completely.  While Sig and Elias aren't perfect, I could not expect any better than what they have done...  Basallo, Bradfield, Mayo, Norby, Ortiz, Holliday.  Just such a good job.  Moving the LF fence back.  Plugging the holes with decent vets.  Really worried that Angelous drives them away.

Elias and Sig's results have been about as close to perfect as you're ever going to get. Every front office makes moves that don't work out, but they're on a massive heater right now when it comes to drafting, development and building a winning baseball team. 

2 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

I would take exception to the nobody like John Angelos.  I have have never met the man and my only point of reference for liking or disliking him is how the franchise has been handled during his ownership.

Under his ownership:

The Orioles have ascended to the best record in the American League

The Orioles have the number 1 farm system in baseball

Estranged Orioles like Adam Jones and Eddie Murray have been embraced

The present looks great, the future looks great and the past is being recognized.

This is all I could want from the owner of my cherished franchise.  He does not have to be my friend I have enough of those.  

The future is going to look significantly worse if Angelos doesn't spend to keep some of our homegrown talent. He's made a point of saying it will be really hard for us to do that and that the fans will have to pay for it (despite the fact that the team has been massively profitable while he's spent virtually nothing).

He's also playing games with the city I live in -- while they're offering him a fantastic deal -- because he's obsessed with squeezing every last penny out of every situation. He cares way more about profitability than winning, which isn't a good trait for an owner to have. Maybe he ends up spending to keep the run going, but I'm not holding my breath based on how he's acted so far and the public comments he's made.