Is Elias the best GM in team history?

Moose Milligan

Another quality of the Elias regime that is overlooked (and maybe hard to quantify except via frequent praise from players) is the impact of advance scouting and analytics on preparation of hitters, pitchers, and no doubt fielders too, before every game, and for every at-bat matchup. No doubt this behind-the-scenes work has a big role in the team's success 2022-23. In 2019-21 there wasn't enough talent to make a difference, but now it could be a difference maker. 

1 minute ago, now said:

Another quality of the Elias regime that is overlooked (and maybe hard to quantify except via frequent praise from players) is the impact of advance scouting and analytics on preparation of hitters, pitchers, and no doubt fielders too, before every game, and for every at-bat matchup. No doubt this behind-the-scenes work has a big role in the team's success 2022-23. In 2019-21 there wasn't enough talent to make a difference, but now it could be a difference maker. 

I expect every team to do it at this point.  No real excuse not to.

Even Elias likes will tell you that Dan Duquett gets some credit for acquring the good players Elias' team inherited. Players like Grayson Rodriguez, Cedric Mullins, Austin Hays, Ryan Mountcastle, Anthony Santander, and DL Hall. All very important pieces.

But with that said, I really love what Elias has done. He's built the infrastructure for sustainable success and has out together an excellent team of player evaluators and scouts. Probably one of the best in baseball.

I hope that he's here for a very long time.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Elias hasn’t proven he can draft and develop pitching.  Before putting him at the top of the list, I would like to see him show he can do that. 

Gray-Rod? Bradish? He didn't draft those players but they were developed successfully during his tenure.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Elias hasn’t proven he can draft and develop pitching.  Before putting him at the top of the list, I would like to see him show he can do that. 

Sure that would be nice, but it can't be a priority since it's high risk. So the emphasis is more on polished bats, then sign or trade for proven pitchers. Plus, the development of pitchers (both homegrown and imports) so far has been fruitful.

On 9/29/2023 at 8:28 AM, spleen1015 said:

I want to see more years of Elias before I say he is the best. He was the GM at the helm of two 100 loss seasons. I know that was part of the strategy, but 100 loss seasons are 100 loss seasons. It looks like he's set the team up for many years of success, but at this point they've only won 1 AL East title.

Lee MacPhail gets my vote simply for the Frank Robinson trade. I think it might be the most impactful transaction in the franchise's history.

If they were 88 loss seasons, would that change your opinion?

9 minutes ago, now said:

Sure that would be nice, but it can't be a priority since it's high risk. So the emphasis is more on polished bats, then sign or trade for proven pitchers. Plus, the development of pitchers (both homegrown and imports) so far has been fruitful.

You have to draft some pitchers, though not necessarily in the first round.  Let’s not forget Grayson was a first round pick as was Hall.  He is going to profit from both of them being on the team. 

8 hours ago, baltfan said:

Felix was a DD pickup but when did his career start taking off?

Cano? Wells? Who says the draft is the only way to acquire and develop pitching?  Who cares where it comes from as long as it’s good?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Felix was a DD pickup but when did his career start taking off?

Cano? Wells? Who says the draft is the only way to acquire and develop pitching?  Who cares where it comes from as long as it’s good?

None of the pitchers he has drafted are yet significant major league prospects. Other teams are also  prioritizing drafting position players. I am concerned that this is driving down the market value of position player prospects and driving up the price for pitching prospects.  Teams no the Orioles have a glut of position players, we can see from what Elias said about the trade deadline teams are looking to exploit our position.