How Many Stick Around to Next Year?

Idaho_OriolesFan

2 hours ago, pdiddy said:

We are most likely contending next year - No reason to deal Santander unless we vastly disappoint. He’s not Manny so whomever we get back is t lineky to be better than guys already on the roster or in AAA. If we are close it isn’t worth a low A guy to move him because he can win a game at any time with his bat.

I mean I do agree with the many people who say here that if Cowser or Kjerstad or some other hitter emerges as good or better than Santander, then yes of course it makes sense to trade him.  

But I just don't trust prospect rankings.  Don't assume a player will be as good as high as he ranked until he proves it over a period of time.  In 2016 Jorge Mateo was the Yankees top prospect, just ahead of Aaron Judge -- just to name one example.  For this reason I think Santander hangs around a little awhile -- unless the O's trade for or sign a replacement outfield bat prior to the season -- in addition to trading Santander.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Maybe. You probably would’ve assumed the same thing as Frazier after his 2022 season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a 1/5m or 2/8m kind of deal.

We have gone over this repeatedly. Hicks' salary through 2025 is locked in based on his contract with the Yankees. Unless someone wants to pay him more than the 9.5M per year his Yankee contract will pay, he will simply sign for the minimum and the remainder of the 9.5M per year will be paid by the Yankees.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

We have gone over this repeatedly. Hicks' salary through 2025 is locked in based on his contract with the Yankees. Unless someone wants to pay him more than the 9.5M per year his Yankee contract will pay, he will simply sign for the minimum and the remainder of the 9.5M per year will be paid by the Yankees.

I think it makes sense to keep Hicks around next year while Cowser/Kjerstad are being acclimated to MLB.  As others have said, Hays or Santander are likely to be traded.  More likely Santander, imo.

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Here's what I think (position players):

Guys that won't be back in Baltimore

Stowers

Vavra

Lester

Benboom 

Guys I wouldn't be surprised if they moved for parts and pieces

Nor by (caught in a numbers game)

Ortiz (one of he or Mateo must go)

Mateo (see above)

Urias (if they think Westburg's bat will come around.  Urias offensive production was down quite a bit this year)

Frazier (no room for him, especially if Holluday is close)

Hays (although I think they keep him)

Hicks (he may stay as a no- cost insurance policy)

Mullins (aging centerfieldet and my favorite player on this team, but I don't think he is in the long- term plans)

Santander (may be the last year to cash in on his value if Kjerstad is ready to take over in right)

There is no way the O's will sell low on Cowser. He is a left-handed bat with a ton of power with a swing that is perfect for Camden Yards.  He can also play all 3 outfield positions and would make a great left fielder to replace Hays eventually. Once he adjusts to major league pitching, he will be a stud here. There is a reason that he is ranked as the 14th best prospect in all of baseball.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Here's what I think (position players):

Guys that won't be back in Baltimore

Stowers

Vavra

Lester

Benboom 

Guys I wouldn't be surprised if they moved for parts and pieces

Nor by (caught in a numbers game)

Ortiz (one of he or Mateo must go)

Mateo (see above)

Urias (if they think Westburg's bat will come around.  Urias offensive production was down quite a bit this year)

Frazier (no room for him, especially if Holluday is close)

Hays (although I think they keep him)

Hicks (he may stay as a no- cost insurance policy)

Mullins (aging centerfieldet and my favorite player on this team, but I don't think he is in the long- term plans)

Santander (may be the last year to cash in on his value if Kjerstad is ready to take over in right)

There is no way the O's will sell low on Cowser. He is a left-handed bat with a ton of power with a swing that is perfect for Camden Yards.  He can also play all 3 outfield positions and would make a great left fielder to replace Hays eventually. Once he adjusts to major league pitching, he will be a stud here. There is a reason that he is ranked as the 14th best prospect in all of baseball.  

10 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Maybe. You probably would’ve assumed the same thing as Frazier after his 2022 season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a 1/5m or 2/8m kind of deal.

You’re missing the fact that Hicks is already receiving payments from the Yankees ($9.785 mm in 2024 and again in 2025), and any salary he receives from another team will be credited against what the Yankees owe him.  So he has no incentive to sign for more than the league minimum, unless some team wants to pay him more than $9.875 mm, which is extremely unlikely.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

Man, this message board is tough!  Orioles haven't even played a single playoff game and you're already jettisoning players off the roster...LOL  Who are you suggesting will replace these cast-offs?

It's what is expected of an organization that has the #1 farm system in baseball.   You replace some guys with youth.  Be it Ortiz//Holiday/Norby replacing Mateo/Frazier, Mayo replacing Mountcastle or Cowser/Kjerstad replacing Santander/Hays/Hicks, it's the nature of the beast.   Now I'm not suggesting that ALL of those are going to happen or even should happen, but I do expect to see a few of those changes. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So...if we go deep in the playoffs, why wouldn't Hicks want to stay here for the league minimum?

Hicks likely would want to return regardless of how deep the Orioles go.  The only reason to want to go elsewhere is to start every day.   I think he realizes that time has past for him and his best path is the one he miraculously fell into.

Besides, I want the PA announcer to begin referring to Hicks in the following:

Now batting for the Baltimore Orioles and brought to you by the New York Yankees, Aaron Hicks.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

You’re missing the fact that Hicks is already receiving payments from the Yankees ($9.785 mm in 2024 and again in 2025), and any salary he receives from another team will be credited against what the Yankees owe him.  So he has no incentive to sign for more than the league minimum, unless some team wants to pay him more than $9.875 mm, which is extremely unlikely.   

I did completely miss this, MurphDogg caught it first, appreciate the catch guys.

I do wonder what kind of contract he would have commanded after the few months in Baltimore he just had if he wasn't owed the $9.785m for the next two years. I also wonder: do fans want him back with the O's or would they prefer his roster spot go to Kjerstad/Cowser?

16 hours ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

I like Santander and Mullins a lot .. *when* they break-out they're exciting to watch! BUT.. I could see trading them IF you got something more stable in return. I couldn't imagine trading them for some sort of lateral move.

They will trade them because the model is to not give big lucrative contracts out. They are good players that aren’t elite. My guess is they will be moved for prospects or a controllable player (SP?) maybe a combination of both. I expect the prospects are likely younger. 

9 hours ago, TimD said:

Wonder if you're responding to the right post, since it doesn't mention Cowser.