Starters: Bradish game 1, GRod game 2

Sports Guy

8 minutes ago, Justinlstn said:

Just looked up GRods stats vs Texas this season. Last time he faced them, was May 10. 3.1 in innings 6 hits, 9 runs, 3hrs and 3 walks. Obviously that was a different time for him during the season but still is worrisome.

It was actually May 26 and it was his last game before being sent down.  He's a completely different pitcher.  Doesn't mean the Rangers won't get to him, but his approach and mindset is not the same.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, btownoriole said:

It was actually May 26 and it was his last game before being sent down.  He's a completely different pitcher.  Doesn't mean the Rangers won't get to him, but his approach and mindset is not the same.

You're right, I miss read. Was 10th game he pitched.

2 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

The Ranger’s park favors left handed batters over righties.

So does ours, probably moreso.

I would have started Means in game 2 but I can see points on both sides.   While I disagree with the decison I don't think it is a horrible one.

As I said in the other thread predicting the starters, I don’t think there’s enough evidence there to suggest that there’s some strategic advantage to using Means at OPACY that would outweigh the fact that Grayson is simply the significantly better pitcher at this point.

Yes, OPACY is a better park for LH power hitters. But I don’t see any evidence in the small samples we have with both guys (Means post-injury and Grayson 2.0) that suggests that Means would be better at suppressing lefty power. With his changeup humming (and his curveball not), he’s actually had reverse splits thus far in his brief return — and he’s given up 2 HRs in the 23 PAs he’s had against LHH.

The Rangers are better against finesse pitchers (like Means) and flyball pitchers (like Means). His curveball, their biggest (and only?) weakness this season, has been his worst pitch thus far. It gives me serious concern about how he’ll hold up. The Rangers typically pulverize the ball in their stadium, so we’ve got to maximize our opportunities to grab wins while we’re at home.

I think the goal has to be to try to jump out to a lead in the series, and Grayson is just better than Means. And the chance to have him come back and pitch a couple piggyback innings behind Bradish in Game 5 is the icing on the cake that seals the deal for me.