Some potential moves for this offseason

Sports Guy

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If he doesn’t show power, he will be exposed at the upper levels and he will be Billy Hamilton at best. 

He doesn’t have to hit a lot of homers but he needs to be a 35ish double, 10ish triples, 7-15 homer guy. In other words, I think he needs to be a 45+ extra base hit guy.

With his speed is it possible that he can naturally turn singles to doubles and triples by just getting on base? 

For example bloop hit can be stretched to a double or a walk can be turned into a triple by stealing second and third? I’m just wondering if there is more than one way to get to the same outcome given his skill set?

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

With his speed is it possible that he can naturally turn singles to doubles and triples by just getting on base? 

For example bloop hit can be stretched to a double or a walk can be turned into a triple by stealing second and third? I’m just wondering if there is more than one way to get to the same outcome given his skill set?

I think the answer is obviously yes.  The biggest problem is that if he doesn’t have actual power, pitchers won’t walk him.  

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

The issue is if he doesn’t show power, pitchers will challenge him more because they won’t be worried about him hurting them and he will be nothing more than Jarrod Dyson or someone like that.

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the answer is obviously yes.  The biggest problem is that if he doesn’t have actual power, pitchers won’t walk him.  

Then they will throw pitches in the zone and hopefully he can hit them.

I by no means think that he is a certainty to reach the bigs and then be effective, but I believe that the skill set has more and more usefulness now that the game has “opened up” beyond just 3 true outcome value. His speed could produce 60-80 stolen bases plus top value as an elite CF potentially taking away extra base hits from the opposition with regularity.

At least that is the hope and I’m sure why he was drafted in the 1st round. I may question Elias’ impact acquisition (or lack thereof) through trade and FA (though I’m confident JA is a factor in the later). But up until this point I cannot question Elias talent acquisition through the draft because that has been top shelf/elite.

25 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Also, if he doesn’t show he can drive the ball, outfielders will play shallower and take away more hits without fear of getting burned.  I know the inclination is to want this kid to hit the ball on the ground and use his speed but ML defenses are too good for that.   He’ll need to drive the ball.

25 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The issue is if he doesn’t show power, pitchers will challenge him more because they won’t be worried about him hurting them and he will be nothing more than Jarrod Dyson or someone like that.

Dyson and Hamilton are very similar to each other.  And honestly, both would be a pretty good outcome for the no. 17 pick.   But I’m certainly hoping for more. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Dyson and Hamilton are very similar to each other.  And honestly, both would be a pretty good outcome for the no. 17 pick.   But I’m certainly hoping for more. 

Neither of them are starting ML players.

I get that you aren’t getting that every time you make a pick and guys will fail but they clearly highly valued Bradfield. He was top 10 on their board. (In a deep draft)

Some bit player in the majors would be a disappointment and nothing what they thought they were drafting.

21 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Swanson doesn't move the needle for me.  I'd rather have Taters' 30 HR threat.

Same. I think it's very questionable to say the Bluejays got better by adding Swanson and subtracting Teoscar. Why not keep our #3 hitter and sign a reliever? 

The O's need to get better at hitting and Santander has been the heart of the middle of the order. To me, letting Frazier and Hicks walk, and jettisoning O'Hearn + Mateo or Urias for whatever pitching prospects they can fetch opens up enough at-bats for our prospects. 

One of the OF's really needs to go, but I'd much prefer that it be Hays over Santander. I'd also rather trade Ortiz and keep Westburg. Elias' track record says not to expect anything splashy, so I'm going to assume he sticks to that until proven otherwise. His track record also suggests that he's averse to working in more than one rookie at at time, which is going to make the OD roster decisions interesting. He hasn't done anything that makes me think he'd be comfortable rolling out an OD lineup that includes Cowser, Kjerstad, and Holliday all at once. Perhaps he'll consider Holliday an exception to all the rules, but I still wouldn't expect both Cowser and Kjerstad to get everyday jobs; one of them will likely need to establish themselves before the next one starts getting regular ABs. Then Mayo will have to wait in line behind that guy. With that philosophy in mind, I don't see multiple vets getting jettisoned in one off-season. 

1 hour ago, deward said:

One of the OF's really needs to go, but I'd much prefer that it be Hays over Santander. I'd also rather trade Ortiz and keep Westburg. Elias' track record says not to expect anything splashy, so I'm going to assume he sticks to that until proven otherwise. His track record also suggests that he's averse to working in more than one rookie at at time, which is going to make the OD roster decisions interesting. He hasn't done anything that makes me think he'd be comfortable rolling out an OD lineup that includes Cowser, Kjerstad, and Holliday all at once. Perhaps he'll consider Holliday an exception to all the rules, but I still wouldn't expect both Cowser and Kjerstad to get everyday jobs; one of them will likely need to establish themselves before the next one starts getting regular ABs. Then Mayo will have to wait in line behind that guy. With that philosophy in mind, I don't see multiple vets getting jettisoned in one off-season. 

Unless something changes drastically between now and opening day, I would hate to see Cowser penciled in as a replacement for Hays unless we made a major acquisition somewhere else to cover the loss in production that you would get there. I don't see anything that made me say Cowser could be competent (to the level of Hays) at the plate or in LF. Maybe you saw differently?

At this point I am very cautious about trying to translate our prospects hitting performance at Norfolk and believing there will be carryover to the bigs. I believe that Holliday will be very good offensively because he has shown no weaknesses and is widely regarded as a top prospect who has performed since day #1 of stepping on a professional baseball diamond. Maybe one of Kjerstad/Mayo pops? But beyond that I don't see any sure fire/replace all star/good player (like Hays) and get anything close to similar production. 

Hays, Ortiz, Povich, and Beavers for Bryce Miller and Penn Murphy (SEA).

For us: opens up an outfield spot for Cowser/Kjerstad while trading Hays at his likely peak value, the utility role Urias can keep while Westburg starts at 3B or 2B (Holliday eventually at the other). Murphy would help our middle relief right away who is tough on RH, and can lead to hopefully discarding the Bakers and Boumanns of the world. 

They get a good all around outfielder for a few years which replaces Hernandez (FA), an infielder who can immediately start at 2B, and a high upside SP. Plus Beavers as a potential 4th OF at least. They seem to have endless relievers so losing Murphy isn't that big of a deal for them.

My off-season priority list would go in this order:

-Trade for a 900 OPS hitter. We need our Harper, Seager, or Alvarez in the lineup. This will cost money and may need to add assets for team to eat cost. Example Juan Soto for Santander, Mountcastle,Cowser, Tavera, Competetive balance pick A

-Sign a team friendly starting pitcher-example Sonny Gray

-Sign 1-2 back end arms-examples Matt Moore, Wandy Peralta, Reynaldo Lopez.

Willing to move anyone besides, Gunnar, Adley, Jackson, Westburg, Grayson, Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo

Edited by Rbiggs2525

I really like the positional talent we have but I do agree that I think people are overlooking the need for a legit MOO bat.

I won’t go as far to say it’s a bigger need than pitching but I think it’s a bigger need than most talk about.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I really like the positional talent we have but I do agree that I think people are overlooking the need for a legit MOO bat.

I won’t go as far to say it’s a bigger need than pitching but I think it’s a bigger need than most talk about.

I've been on board the past year with getting a MOO bat if the right player becomes available. Maybe Kjerstad, Gunnar or another player develops into one, but the Orioles need an established MOO right now who can anchor the lineup especially in the postseason.

What MOO bat is actually available to trade for? Maybe Luis Robert. Maybe Pete Alonso? Alonso would only be a one year deal, but would be cheaper. I think they end up giving him a big deal though.

Edited by G54377