The Best Relief Pitcher Who Might Be Available (Title Edited)

RZNJ

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Tanner Scott.  In the last year of his contract coming off a career year.  Made 2.83M last year.  The perfect 1-year bridge while Felix is on the mend.   The Marlins barely made the playoffs, had a -57 run differential, did not give a QA to Jorge Soler who just hit 36 homers for them.  Sandy Alcantara will miss the entire 2024 season with TJ.  They just hired a new GM.    They may see how things go and look to deal Scott at the deadline or they may look to get what they can now.

Scott, after years of horrible control figured it out last year.  He was dominant.  Cut his walks, amazingly, to 24 in 78 IP.   The Marlins desperately need a SS.   I have no idea what it would take to get Scott but I would think Joey Ortiz would be a pretty attractive piece for the Marlins.  Scott is a one year rental but he could be a key piece for any team in 2024.

Elias might have to check his ego to re-acquire Scott.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/scottta01.shtml

Personally I would hope we would get alittle more of a return for Joey Ortiz. 

I hear in this thread that MIA needs a SS and offense. We want a backend RP for 1 year. Scott seems logical but 6 years of Ortiz seems too much. Many suggest Ortiz as a piece for Cease. What about Mateo who could start for several teams just for his defense, and one of Norby/Stowers, neither of which have a path forward here, for Scott and Rogers? Rogers missed most of the year but the injury was a torn Lat on his non-pitching side. He is expected to be full go in ST.

11 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Personally I would hope we would get alittle more of a return for Joey Ortiz. 

That's cool. I guess most feel that way.   It will be interesting to see if Scott gets moved and what the return is.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That's cool. I guess most feel that way.   It will be interesting to see if Scott gets moved and what the return is.

I mean, we traded EdRod for two months of Andrew Miller back in the day.  I was against it, but the majority here were for it and still are.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I mean, we traded EdRod for two months of Andrew Miller back in the day.  I was against it, but the majority here were for it and still are.  

At the time we traded ERod I would equate him with Povich now.   ERod’s career really took off as soon as he switched organizations, unfortunately.   That’s a pretty good comparison though.  Miller was just becoming Miller and his track record wasn’t so long or great either.

A very funny thing.  BA had Eduardo Rodriguez listed at #65 in their top 100 in 2014 while he was still an Oriole.

Joey Ortiz is listed at #62 on the mid season BA top 100.

Edited by RZNJ

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You aren’t comping Scott to Miller are you?

Absolutely.  Andrew Miller was nothing much before 2014.  He was a lefty with a good arm with control problems.  From 2006 to 2011, Andrew Miller didn’t have an ERA under 5.  In 2012 he had a 3.38 ERA but only pitched 40 innings and walked 20.  In 2013 he managed a 2.64 ERA but only threw 30 innings and waked 17.  He started to turn it around in 2014, the year he was traded but his dominance didn’t really start until after the trade.

You’re complete ignorance is now on display.  Keep it coming.

Click on the link if you prefer facts to a blow hard.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/millean01.shtml

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Absolutely.  Andrew Miller was nothing much before 2014.  He was a lefty with a good arm with control problems.  From 2006 to 2011, Andrew Miller didn’t have an ERA under 5.  In 2012 he had a 3.38 ERA but only pitched 40 innings and walked 20.  In 2013 he managed a 2.64 ERA but only threw 30 innings and waked 17.  He started to turn it around in 2014, the year he was traded but his dominance didn’t really start until after the trade.

There’s more risk with Scott.  The upside is similar.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course there is. Miller was traded in season, in the midst of an excellent year.

Scott, who has never shown he can be consistent, is someone you don’t pay too much for.

On top of that, pitching generally fetches more at the deadline vs the offseason…ie, it’s a completely different scenario.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why more risk with Scott?   I would argue that he had a full complete season break through of throwing strikes than Miller who had 2/3 in 2014.

Millers FWAR in 2012.  .5.  2013 .4.   Combined in 2014.  2.2

Scott in both 21 and 22.  .4.   In 2023.  2.8

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course there is. Miller was traded in season, in the midst of an excellent year.

Scott, who has never shown he can be consistent, is someone you don’t pay too much for.

On top of that, pitching generally fetches more at the deadline vs the offseason…ie, it’s a completely different scenario.

We can afford to give up Ortiz a lot more easily than that team could afford to give up EdRod.    I am not advocating this trade, but it’s pretty comparable IMO.

Just now, Frobby said:

We can afford to give up Ortiz a lot more easily than that team could afford to give up EdRod.    I am not advocating this trade, but it’s pretty comparable IMO.

The Miller trade was a great trade and one you should make 100 times out of 100.

This isn’t that because we have way more options to improve the team right now vs what we could do in the middle of the 2014 season.

Miller walked 13 in 42 innings in 2014 with Boston before the trade, the first time in his career he showed average or better control.   Tanner Scott walked 24 in 78 innings last year with an ERA + of 195, showing average or better control for the first time in his career.   I don’t see how Scott is a higher risk than Miller was plus you’d be getting him for 6 months instead of 2.   

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Funny, Scott has never shown he can be consistent but anyone can look on BRef and see that Andrew Miller showed no consistency before 2014.  Are you wearing a red nose with big shoes and shaggy red hair because that’s how I’m picturing you right now?.  I hope you fact check better than this when you do the Eutaw street gig.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why more risk with Scott?   I would argue that he had a full complete season break through of throwing strikes than Miller who had 2/3 in 2014.

Millers FWAR in 2012.  .5.  2013 .4.   Combined in 2014.  2.2

Scott in both 21 and 22.  .4.   In 2023.  2.8

Miller had a 3.35 and 2.64 ERA the two prior years, and 4.5 and 5.0 BB/9.  Scott was at 4.31 ERA the prior year with a 6.0 BB/9.  Also, as SG pointed out, Miller was traded in the middle of a dominant season.  He wasn’t likely to reverse course command-wise overnight.   I’d be more worried about Scott losing whatever worked over a long offseason   

Saying all that, I don’t think Scott is that risky.  And a full season > two months.