Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

@Sports Guy pointed out how the possibility of Westburg as the headliner over Kjerstad/Cowser. So I won’t steal his idea. 

My position has always been that Cowser is a direct replacement for Hays, and Kjerstad for Santa. However, we have more flexibility on the dirt. Especially with Mayo at 3B and Holliday at SS/2B. 

It would be ideal if we could pull of Cease for Westburg, two of Ortiz/Norby/Beavers/Povich. As opposed to Kjerstad/Cowser, and two of Ortiz/Norby/Povich. 

Its a good conversation over there.     Not having lived through the multi-year #RisingTide marketing campaign, White Sox posters aren't shy about using names like Lenyn Sosa or Yolmer Sanchez as Glass Half Empty Joey Ortiz comps.

I'm really curious to see the next stretch of his career play out.      There's a poster at Fangraphs who uses a label like the "Erick Aybar zone" to describe an up the middle good glove putting out 4-win seasons with back of baseball card numbers that look like nothing.    Glass Half Full, I could see Ortiz doing that, but already he's 5 years away from being one of MLB's oldest shortstops, if he even holds one of those positions.      Outcomes of near zero career WAR could still happen.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ChicagoTerp said:

Sounds like the White Sox are being the White Sox. I think if nobody has met their delusional price at this point, they aren't going to. So they'll have to either come back down to earth, or hope he pitches like a CY candidate again and trade him at the deadline.

I don’t blame the Sox for aiming high at this point in the offseason. They will come down eventually IMO but they don’t need to be in a hurry.

I think its an interesting question if Elias sees something in Cease he thinks he can unlock, is there some value to getting him on Zoom calls with Chris Holt on December 30th, and not February 5th?

Though there I grant a blank on how the MLBPA player contract speaks to guys having to do work in the offseason.     That said, assuming Oriole Cease would be energized for a favorable situation, he might not mind reading "Ideas for you", etc.

Curious folks perspectives from today what impact changing 30 starts of Cole Irvin for 30 starts of Dylan Cease does to division title odds?     +15 bump from 20 to 35?

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I really like Westburg, but I’d prefer to trade the Westburg/Beavers package.  

I think Cowser/Kjerstand and Ortiz/Norby has equal value as Westburg and Beavers. With Westburg being the most valuable MLB player of the bunch. However, the better fit for us defensively is to trade away Westburg, and Beavers. 

I love Westburg too. We have superstars to plug into2B and 3B really soon. We don’t have that kind of depth in COF. It’s insane depth. 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

My only question is how long til a Sports Guy ban over there.

@Frobby called me out on overhyping it, @Sports Guy is being pretty cordial. Not pulling punches or anything but not getting baited into some of their more aggressive posters rabbit holes.

Currently they’re debating whether a deal may be close because of one of their insiders possibly cryptic post. Seems like a huge stretch to me but who knows. 

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Sports Guy pointed out how the possibility of Westburg as the headliner over Kjerstad/Cowser. So I won’t steal his idea. 

My position has always been that Cowser is a direct replacement for Hays, and Kjerstad for Santa. However, we have more flexibility on the dirt. Especially with Mayo at 3B and Holliday at SS/2B. 

It would be ideal if we could pull of Cease for Westburg, two of Ortiz/Norby/Beavers/Povich. As opposed to Kjerstad/Cowser, and two of Ortiz/Norby/Povich. 

Have to disagree -... I'd much rather deal Cowser than Westburg.

8 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

@Frobby called me out on overhyping it, @Sports Guy is being pretty cordial. Not pulling punches or anything but not getting baited into some of their more aggressive posters rabbit holes.

Currently they’re debating whether a deal may be close because of one of their insiders possibly cryptic post. Seems like a huge stretch to me but who knows. 

Is the deal allegedly close with somebody or is it said to be with us?

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Is the deal allegedly close with somebody or is it said to be with us?

As far as I can tell, the implication is because an insider said the White Sox are finally valuing defense in regards to potential deals, it may well be in regards to a deal for Cowser/Ortiz. I don’t see much else there besides that and as such I don’t really read anything into it. 

• Upvote 1