Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

MLB has Holiday at 70, Cowser at 60, Mayo to Ortiz 55, Norby to #9 Beavers at 50 and then #10 is 45. They have one more guy rated 50+

I believe Holiday, Cowser, Basallo, Kjerstad, and Mayo to be guys Elias doesn’t want to/ isn’t trading.

With that said the Yankees can probably our bid us with no problem.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

MLB has Holiday at 70, Cowser at 60, Mayo to Ortiz 55, Norby to #9 Beavers at 50 and then #10 is 45. They have one more guy rated 50+

I believe Holiday, Cowser, Basallo, Kjerstad, and Mayo to be guys Elias doesn’t want to/ isn’t trading.

With that said the Yankees can probably our bid us with no problem.

We have the best farm system. They can’t outbid us. They may be willing to massively overpay for him, however, something we clearly aren’t going to do. I know that’s what you meant, but I don’t consider those two scenarios the same. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

We have the best farm system. They can’t outbid us. They may be willing to massively overpay for him, however, something we clearly aren’t going to do. I know that’s what you meant, but I don’t consider those two scenarios the same. 

I agree and thanks for understanding what I meant 

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

If you have thirty dollars and I have a hundred but am only willing to spend twenty than it doesn't matter that I have more.

Yes, theoretically the O's can't be outbid, we all understand that.

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

One of the insiders on their board is saying the Yankees are involved for Cease.

They actually think that’s scary for us but the Yankees have nothing but young lottery tickets to offer. 

If the Yankees are actually willing to part with what it would take to trade for Cease then they are also "involved" in the rest of the pitcher trades (real and imagined) that have been discussed here - Valdez, Luzardo, etc... I don't think there is anything like a pitching bargain to be found anymore, so this news (if it is news) shouldn't alter much. 

Watchword of this and every offseason going forward:  There are no starting pitcher bargains.

Just because we CAN outbid them, doesn’t mean we should.    If we are giving up a “top” prospect it should be for one of the Marlins or mariners guys…   

but it is interesting that the team that missed out on TWO MEGASTARS, that could sign any remaining SP for whatever they want is now exploring the trade market. . . 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Keygans said:

Just because we CAN outbid them, doesn’t mean we should.    If we are giving up a “top” prospect it should be for one of the Marlins or mariners guys…   

but it is interesting that the team that missed out on TWO MEGASTARS, that could sign any remaining SP for whatever they want is now exploring the trade market. . . 

The Steinbrenner’s don’t like contributing to the luxury tax. That’s the difference between them and the Dodgers