MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Serious question: is Mitch Keller a better pitcher than Dean Kremer?  I think most O’s fans have a very good impression of Keller based on the dominant game he pitched against us last May.  But his season went significantly downhill from there.  

Only 16 pitchers in all of MLB had 200+ Ks last season, and Mitch Keller was one of them. Yes he had some epic meltdowns in the second half, but I still think he has considerably more upside than Dean Kremer. The difference between the two are the Ks and the upside. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He probably is but it’s not likely to be the huge margin people think it is in their minds.

Keller is overrated around here imo.

I think Keller is actually underrated as he has shown glimpses of being a top of the rotation guy at Pittsburgh and a guy I was advocating on going after in a trade.  His numbers are not great but the k’s per 9 innings is solid and walk rate not bad.  However my biggest reason for wanting him was his success so far in what I believe is the worst organization in baseball in developing pitchers (Rockies too but think hat more location then anything).   The Pirates have been just dreadful in developing young pitchers and have had a few guys that showed glimpses of similar talent then left and became more top of the rotation guys like Cole, Musgrove, Morton to name a few.   I like going after guys that show potential but haven’t quite reached it yet and with our development program Keller seemed like a perfect fit to come here and see that same type jump Musgrave saw.  
There are certain teams I wouldn’t want to trade with much and other teams I would like trading with.  The Rays are one I wouldn’t trade much with because I feel they usually already are getting max out of their guys.  The Braves are another you see most of the trades they make and they come out on top and the young players they deal don’t seem to reach potential at other teams.  The Giants also seem to get a lot out of their pitchers and have done nice job developing guys that were not highly rated.  The Mariners seem to be great at developing pitching though not offense.  The teams I would like trading with are teams like Pirates, Royals, A’s Tigers for younger guys that are showing glimpses but have not reached their full potential.

The deal for Keller seems pretty fair for mid level pitching they will get and secures nice amount for him but I have to wonder if he might be leaving larger potential on the table if he stayed another year then gets traded to better organization and gets that breakout year before hitting free agency at 30 like Musgrove did.  Now he is going to have to do it in Pittsburgh and not hit free agency til his 32 year old season.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I think Keller is actually underrated as he has shown glimpses of being a top of the rotation guy at Pittsburgh and a guy I was advocating on going after in a trade.  His numbers are not great but the k’s per 9 innings is solid and walk rate not bad.  However my biggest reason for wanting him was his success so far in what I believe is the worst organization in baseball in developing pitchers (Rockies too but think hat more location then anything).   The Pirates have been just dreadful in developing young pitchers and have had a few guys that showed glimpses of similar talent then left and became more top of the rotation guys like Cole, Musgrove, Morton to name a few.   I like going after guys that show potential but haven’t quite reached it yet and with our development program Keller seemed like a perfect fit to come here and see that same type jump Musgrave saw.  
There are certain teams I wouldn’t want to trade with much and other teams I would like trading with.  The Rays are one I wouldn’t trade much with because I feel they usually already are getting max out of their guys.  The Braves are another you see most of the trades they make and they come out on top and the young players they deal don’t seem to reach potential at other teams.  The Giants also seem to get a lot out of their pitchers and have done nice job developing guys that were not highly rated.  The Mariners seem to be great at developing pitching though not offense.  The teams I would like trading with are teams like Pirates, Royals, A’s Tigers for younger guys that are showing glimpses but have not reached their full potential.

The deal for Keller seems pretty fair for mid level pitching they will get and secures nice amount for him but I have to wonder if he might be leaving larger potential on the table if he stayed another year then gets traded to better organization and gets that breakout year before hitting free agency at 30 like Musgrove did.  Now he is going to have to do it in Pittsburgh and not hit free agency til his 32 year old season.  

Yea, he has shown glimpses. The problem is, people act like those glimpses are who he is and he’s not. 

Trade talks about him seem to revolve around the idea that he is that top guy and he’s not that.

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Dodgers put up 8 in first inning of spring training. We should probably just give them the title and not play the season.  They are gonna kill everyone like 72-0. 

Until they lose the NLDS 3-1 to the 84-win 6th seed Cincinnati Reds. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I find it funny that the Orioles go from horrific at developing pitchers to pretty good at getting value. 
The Giants I would say are pretty good, however they also have that heavy damp cold air there that favors pitchers. 
The Giants are in between a rebuild and trying to compete, much like 2017 and 18 for the Os. I wonder if they would be willing to tear it down and rebuild or are they going to just continue down the path they are on. I also wonder what it would take to get Logan Webb and Tyler Rogers from them? It would be interesting to explore and would be a blockbuster trade in the terms of what the Os give up and what they get. 

20 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I find it funny that the Orioles go from horrific at developing pitchers to pretty good at getting value. 
The Giants I would say are pretty good, however they also have that heavy damp cold air there that favors pitchers. 
The Giants are in between a rebuild and trying to compete, much like 2017 and 18 for the Os. I wonder if they would be willing to tear it down and rebuild or are they going to just continue down the path they are on. I also wonder what it would take to get Logan Webb and Tyler Rogers from them? It would be interesting to explore and would be a blockbuster trade in the terms of what the Os give up and what they get. 

The Giants just shelled out money for Soler and Hicks and took on Ray's salary via a trade. Those aren't moves made by a team that's considering a rebuild. I don't even think it's worth a hypothetical to discuss trading for Webb and Rogers. 

3 minutes ago, sevastras said:

They seem to have Confederate money as well.  They seem to want to spend it and have offered some big contracts to players but keep getting turned down.  

24 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The Giants just shelled out money for Soler and Hicks and took on Ray's salary via a trade. Those aren't moves made by a team that's considering a rebuild. I don't even think it's worth a hypothetical to discuss trading for Webb and Rogers. 

WB you are right the Giants can't afford to rebuild, their payroll is about $150m but for luxury tax close to $200 which means they have large increases in coming years (back ended contracts).  Their larger issue is their attendance is off 800k from substainable pre-covid years.  Part of that may be the climate in the city but as a large market team and the expenses that come with it they literally can't afford to tank.

56 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

WB you are right the Giants can't afford to rebuild, their payroll is about $150m but for luxury tax close to $200 which means they have large increases in coming years (back ended contracts).  Their larger issue is their attendance is off 800k from substainable pre-covid years.  Part of that may be the climate in the city but as a large market team and the expenses that come with it they literally can't afford to tank.

It is going to be interesting to see what some teams do.  I think a few teams have been pushing spending to keep up with the Jones’s but now those contacts and CBA are stuck with bad contracts and luxury tax keeping them from signing more guys.  I think that why we have so many top level guys still unsigned.  Boras wants these guys getting big contacts and teams are looking and saying well 25 million because of luxury tax really means 40-50 million too them.  There will most likely be half the league at the 200 million CBA tax this season.  The big spenders will spend but the mid level teams seem to be thinking twice about if it is worth it.