MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honestly, Irvin was supposed to be a pretty good option to eat innings. When we traded for him he had just pitched back-to-back seasons of 180 innings at a very solid ERA and FIP. 

The fact that he fell off early last year was kind of a surprise. He righted the ship late though, so maybe we're discounting him as an option more than we should. 

I just don’t want to count on him to replace Gibson. We need a clear upgrade. Our eyes should be on the World Series. Not being thrifty or guarded without our prospects. I’m not saying make a bad deal. But, find a good deal where you are getting the right guy to lead the way. 

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's because Roch's source is like, the elevator guy at Camden Yards. 

Haha.  Good line.  I think someone else @Warehouse?  nailed Roch’s one source “a scout from another organization”.

“Phillies Special Assignment Scout Dean Albany has been selected as the 2023 recipient of the Dallas Green Award, the club announced today. Albany joined the Phillies following the 2020 season after spending 20 years in the scouting department of the Baltimore Orioles.”

• Upvote 1

With Wells in the rotation the RH relievers look real shaky. We have to replace Bautista. Impossible, but I like the Kimbrel move. Last year, even with Bautista, and an out of nowhere 1st half by Cano, we still needed a RH reliever. Fuji bombed. Baumann ran outta gas. Webb had some magic. 

Brasier makes sense to fill in for Wells in the pen, but can we afford him?

6 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

I said it a while back, just build a lockdown bullpen.  We can trade from some of our positional depth to get quality bullpen arms.  Most everyone would trade a bullpen arm for a potential full time positional player, even if they would be considered league average talent.  

If we do this we should have enough depth in the starting rotation.  Also with a couple strong additional it should free you up to put Hall in the rotation to see what happens.

Check out Max Meyer

Regarding Elias and what he said about acquiring a SP - it's the one thing that still gives me hope that we'll find something. He honestly rarely says things he doesn't follow up on, and that's not just me being a homer, it's objectively true as far as I can tell. 

So I think he'll get a SP - it's just a matter of how much spin he'll have to attach to that acquisition. 

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

Honestly, Irvin was supposed to be a pretty good option to eat innings. When we traded for him he had just pitched back-to-back seasons of 180 innings at a very solid ERA and FIP. 

The fact that he fell off early last year was kind of a surprise. He righted the ship late though, so maybe we're discounting him as an option more than we should. 

Yeah, Irvin's fall off was all of three starts. Then he was demoted, and the rest of the year had a 3.20 ERA in his time with the O's (including nine more starts). I do think he's overly discounted around here. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol, they are the Mets for a reason. More money than sense.

Makes the Kiermaier deal for the Jays look incredible IMO. 

One thing is for sure, Mullins is going to get PAID as a FA. The CF market is kind of wild. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Regarding Elias and what he said about acquiring a SP - it's the one thing that still gives me hope that we'll find something. He honestly rarely says things he doesn't follow up on, and that's not just me being a homer, it's objectively true as far as I can tell. 

So I think he'll get a SP - it's just a matter of how much spin he'll have to attach to that acquisition. 

I think he goes the cheap route again in terms of prospect cost and goes back to Oakland and try for Paul Blackburn or JP Sears and claims we can "fix" them

13 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Just a random 1 year $23.5 million contract given by the Dodgers. Nothing to see here folks. :D 

The money between the haves and have nots is certainly not getting smaller. 

1 minute ago, Spy Fox said:

Yeah, Irvin's fall off was all of three starts. Then he was demoted, and the rest of the year had a 3.20 ERA in his time with the O's (including nine more starts). I do think he's overly discounted around here. 

Right, totally agree. He had some really nice starts at the end of the season. Velocity looked good, I think they tweaked his pitches a little. Was striking out more guys IIRC. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Just a random 1 year $23.5 million contract given by the Dodgers. Nothing to see here folks. :D 

The money between the haves and have nots is certainly not getting smaller. 

Santander is looking at this deal like 👀

"I'm a $20 million player??"

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

“Uwasawa was an x time all star in the Nippon Pro League…”

Edit - 3x I looked it up. Haha

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I just don’t want to count on him to replace Gibson. We need a clear upgrade. Our eyes should be on the World Series. Not being thrifty or guarded without our prospects. I’m not saying make a bad deal. But, find a good deal where you are getting the right guy to lead the way. 

Everyone here likes to blame John Angelos for everything that's not good, so let's do that right here, right now.

Can everyone here picture a scenario where Elias is sitting down in the Warehouse with John Angelos shortly after the season concluded and John Angelos says, "Great season!  You managed to put together a team that won 101 games with one of the lowest payrolls in all of Major League Baseball!  We don't have to spend much more this offseason.  In fact, you did such a good job, I bet you can do it again without having to spend ANY more money!  Whaddya say?"

I can easily picture that conversation having taken place.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What did the Rangers do last year?

Might be nice if you showed my whole quote.

“Fair point but I think it’s more about an uneven playing field and the David vs Goliath thing.   The Dodgers, Yankees, etc, can afford 300M payrolls while, even if Angelo’s spent everything, maybe the O’s could do 100-150M.   You can’t buy championships but it sure doesn’t hurt.  If there was a 150M floor and 200M cap (neverhappen) there would be a lot less complaining.“

The Mets spent more than anyone and didn’t even make the playoffs.  You can’t buy a championship but it certainly improves your chances as in the Ranger’s case.