MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Before the offseason got going there was some talk of an MOO bat.
So after the signing of Othani, JD Martinez obviously wont be returning to the Dodgers. Obviously Mountcastle and or Santander would have to go but he only made $10 million last year. What if he could be brought in on a similar deal. His .270s avg, 33 homers, 103 RBIs and near .900 OPS would look good in the middle of our lineup. He’s more consistent than Mountcastle. Thoughts?

Given the way the team valued flexibility in 2023, I don't believe Elias would be interested in a dedicated DH.  Martinez only played 3 games in the OF since 2021.

59 minutes ago, Earl Buck said:

How does the Othani deal affect the remainder free agent contracts? $70 million per season, deferred or not, is a huge increase from other top contracts in MLB. 

I don’t think it will have any effect on 98% of the contracts signed (or anyone the Orioles would ever touch). Obviously the agents of the superstars will reference it often and use it as a benchmark, but it’s not going to have any bearing on rank-and-file players or minor stars.

8 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I don’t think it will have any effect on 98% of the contracts signed (or anyone the Orioles would ever touch). Obviously the agents of the superstars will reference it often and use it as a benchmark, but it’s not going to have any bearing on rank-and-file players or minor stars.

I believe you are wrong. There will be a significant "trickle down impact". Do you think the number Gunnar/Boras may have been seeking to sign a long-term contract stayed the same after Oh's signing? Adley?? Soto next year..I mean, didn't Soto turn down 10-440 from the Nats? You don't think agents have a new baseline for stars?? And if teams can't afford the stars, it makes secondary players more expensive.

10 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

I have no faith in Elias' ability to make a legitimate trade at this point (until I see it happen). I also don't like the idea of adding a true DH only player because it's going to take significant playing time away from Kjerstad. If Kjerstad isn't traded he needs to play this season. It's time to sh*t or get off the pot with some of these young rookies. 

Elias mentioned Heston would see plenty of RF

55 minutes ago, Earl Buck said:

How does the Othani deal affect the remainder free agent contracts? $70 million per season, deferred or not, is a huge increase from other top contracts in MLB. 

Not as much as you would think. Although the AAV is $70m I have seen that with the deferred money it is closer to $55m (ESPN).  That being said, no other play can provide the additional revenue Ohtani can (sponsorship, signage, suites, premium tix) so with all the money he brings in the true cost is lower.  The Dodgers own their own RSN so they can also take advantage of increased ad revenue something others cannot.  This was the reason Toronto was interested in Ohtani as they have all of Canada as a market.  Remember the Dodgers are essentially at capacity so they really won't sell more tickets.

The Dodgers have a big issue in that the even though there is deferred money the AAV for the competitive balance tax is $70m.  In the past they have vowed not to go over the tax threshold but since they have to fill out the roster they have no choice.  This means every contract going forward (arb is already figured in) will be at a ~30% premium which means they would prefer players under control which means the Orioles have more competition for guys like Cease.

15 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

I believe you are wrong. There will be a significant "trickle down impact". Do you think the number Gunnar/Boras may have been seeking to sign a long-term contract stayed the same after Oh's signing? Adley?? Soto next year..I mean, didn't Soto turn down 10-440 from the Nats? You don't think agents have a new baseline for stars?? And if teams can't afford the stars, it makes secondary players more expensive.

Ohtani is in a class by himself because of the revenue he brings with him.