Oriole players rake in the most from the pre-arbitration bonus pool

SteveA

7 Oriole players got $$$ from the pre-arbitration bonus pool (tied with Detroit for most by any team).

There were 101 players in all who got some money.

The Oriole players took in $7.3 million of the $50 million pool.

Julio Rodriguez got the most ($1,865,349).

Adley got $1,798,439.   Bradish, Bautista, and Gunnar also got over a million.

Can't determine from the linked article who the other three Orioles were.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-player-bonuses-for-2023-pre-arbitration-pool

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm interested to know if winning these will count in a player's favor when it comes to arbitration?

Well, it can't hurt!  But I'd guess they will be largely irrelevant, since the best players make the most money in arbitration anyway.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well, it can't hurt!  But I'd guess they will be largely irrelevant, since the best players make the most money in arbitration anyway.

Arbitration awards are, to a degree, based on what a player has made previously.

If Adley is making 2.5M a year instead of 740K is his arb 1 starting point higher?

It would be cool if they did some sort of bonus system for low draft picks that rise up to the higher levels of the minors.  Like if you're a 18th round draft pick, you get like a $25k bonus for being promoted to AA, then a $40k bonus if you make it to AAA.  That way those kids that get almost no signing bonus get rewarded for working hard and playing well (and don't have to live off ramen noodles).

Edited by yark14
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Arbitration awards are, to a degree, based on what a player has made previously.

If Adley is making 2.5M a year instead of 740K is his arb 1 starting point higher?

o

So, I looked this up in the CBA:

"Evidence of the following shall not be admissible [at an arbitration hearing]:... The existence of the Pre-Arbitration Performance Bonus Program described in Article XV(D), including the criteria and any amounts earned pursuant to the Program."

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, yark14 said:

It would be cool if they did some sort of bonus system for low draft picks that rise up to the higher levels of the minors.  Like if you're a 18th round draft pick, you get like a $25k bonus for being promoted to AA, then a $40k bonus if you make it to AAA.  That way those kids that get almost no signing bonus get rewarded for working hard and playing well (and don't have to live off ramen noodles).

Well, the players do make more money in the higher levels of the minors than in the lower levels, and its not as bad as it used to be.   AA players are making 30 K and AAA is $35 K, plus the teams now provide housing, unlike before.  Salaries are higher for guys who are on the 40-man roster, or who have played in the majors previously.   

I do like your idea of special dispensation for low draft picks, though it might discourage promotions in borderline cases.