Pitching Prospects Top 20

Jim'sKid26

The recent thread on the Orioles section by @Sports Guy on Established arms vs. "non-established arms" got me thinking about the current OH prospects ranking list and who on it is a pitcher. So I went back and looked at @Tony-OH's list of the top 75 prospects. By the time I got to #50 I had 21 pitchers, (#21 is Portes) and thought I would list them out. So here goes, number in parentheses is their place on the overall prospects list:

1. McDermott (9)                        11. Young (30)

2. Povich (13).                             12. Wells (31)

3. Deleon (14)                              13. Sharkey (32)

4. Baumeister (16)                       14. Pinto (33)

5. Johnson (18)                            15. Gilles. (34)

6. Bright (21)                                 16. Forret (39)

7. Baumler (22)                              17. Pham (41)

8. Lord (26)                                    18. Cravey (43)

9. Nunez (27)                                 19. Palacios (44)

10. Marao (29)                                20. Armbruester (46)

I think we've talked a bit about McDermott and Povich. Beyond those two, are there any potential impact arms in this bunch that folks feel will impact the 2024 MLB club? It seems to me that obtaining some "non-established" but close to MLB ready arms might be a reasonable priority for ME and company this off season.

McDermott and Povich could help thi year.  Even Pham and Armbruester could.  

DeLeon has a lot of upside but he’s got a long way to go and needs to show he can get through a year.  Baumler even more so.

I’m anxious to see how Baumeister and Lord look and think the odds of one of McDermott/Povich/Johnson turning into a good starter are good.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Deleon is my #1 pitching prospect. McDermott is #2 and to me, there is a good potential but a drop off after those 2.

The question is not whether you agree with the rankings. It is which pitchers might help the Orioles this year.

54 minutes ago, panick said:

The question is not whether you agree with the rankings. It is which pitchers might help the Orioles this year.

McDermott is most likely.  He is the only one who’s had success, albeit sss, in AAA.  And he’s got the stuff.

1 hour ago, panick said:

I think only McDermott, Povich and Armbruester have much chance of pitching for the Orioles this year.  I’d rank their chances of pitching in a way that helps the Orioles in that order.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think only McDermott, Povich and Armbruester have much chance of pitching for the Orioles this year.  I’d rank their chances of pitching in a way that helps the Orioles in that order.   

Agree with McDermott, Povich, and Armbruester above.  Sharkey could be a fast riser because he's not trying to check any starter boxes.  Trace Bright is a dark horse.  

I know they're not on this year's list, but Kyle Brnovich and Brandon Young still interest me.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I'm curious to see how Teddy Sharkey's year unfolds.     He's about the same age and bonus as Orion Kerkering, who made it into Dave Dombrowski's bullpen last fall.

We'll see what the data says about 40 chunks of 15 pitches.

Sharkey could see ML time this year. I wouldn’t doubt it.

6 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Agree with McDermott, Povich, and Armbruester above.  Sharkey could be a fast riser because he's not trying to check any starter boxes.  Trace Bright is a dark horse.  

I know they're not on this year's list, but Kyle Brnovich and Brandon Young still interest me.  

Young is #30, and 11 on his list.

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I liked what I saw of Sharkey but he only pitched at Delmarva.  He likely starts at Aberdeen.   Getting to the majors next year seems like a super longshot.  

Drew Storen and Huston Street come to mind as relievers who were in the majors the year after they were drafted.  Of course, they both were first round picks.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Drew Storen and Huston Street come to mind as relievers who were in the majors the year after they were drafted.  Of course, they both were first round picks.  

Gregg Olson and Ben McDonald.

• Upvote 1

With the obvious exceptions of losing Rodriguez and Hall, this list is better than last year's. But A LOT of this list is built on hope, and not much is built on production in the minors for the Orioles.

I hope it's a lot more impressive yet again in a year.

• Upvote 1

I count 5 on the list that were acquired by trade, so good work by Elias to keep adding to the one area in the farm system that needed more depth and talent, arms. Bradish, Grayson, and Hall have graduated leaving the farm system needing some top level talent. I feel they still have depth, and there are names on this list that could be Top 100 MLB Prospects in the future (mostly international signs), but there is a glaring hole at the top of this list showing a need for near MLB ready/potential impact arms.

I wonder if Elias tries to swing a Santander or Hays (maybe packaged with a Mateo, Urias, Baumann, Akin, etc) for a Top 100-150 near MLB arm(s), especially if they can't land a Cease, etc.

If he could bring in 2 near MLB arms to add to the top of this prospect list, it would be a pretty solid list. Elias' hope would have to be that one or both arms are ready to help half way through the season.

This isn't necessarily the route I would go; I'd use this draft to try to grab a bunch of college arms. However, I'd listen on these types of deals and trust my scouting staff's advising on potential prospects