UMD-UNC Thread...

Lucky Jim

You go ahead and do that.

FruitLoopKid and I have found some middle-ground, but he also responded in a much more mature fashion.

And again, if you have a problem, start talking about the game. You STILL haven't done that yet.

What exactly would you like me to say about the game? We played well. We deserved to win. GV was on fire. UNC didn't shoot all that well. It was a solid win.

It still has nothing to do with my thoughts on Gary and his overall job as coach. It's one freaking game.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What exactly would you like me to say about the game? We played well. We deserved to win. GV was on fire. UNC didn't shoot all that well. It was a solid win.

See, that's a good start.

It still has nothing to do with my thoughts on Gary and his overall job as coach. It's one freaking game.
Did you not see the game? If so I'll understand, but if you did and your response is "Yeah? Well whoop-dee-do :rolleyes:" then you really should rethink how much you care about this team.

You can be critical without wanting to see them fail, and you can celebrate a great victory without it invalidating your overall opinion on the state of the program.

Besides, Daniel has a point: people do tend to disappear when the Terps win.

You really do just like to be an ass, don't you? You're very good at it with your ridiculous arguments.

How is deciding not to re-hash an opinion that's been beaten into the ground the same thing as "people disappearing" whenever the Terps win? I think at this point everyone knows who's in the Gary camp, and who's not. The idea that a Terps win "mutes" those who still aren't on his side is absurd.

OTOH, it's probably not fair that whenever the Terps lose everyone's jumping on Gary. There is definitely some hypocrisy there, but two wrongs don't make a right. Everyone becoming a Gary Lover after a game like this would be stupid. It was a huge game, and the Terps played better than I remember for quite some time, but at the end of the day, it still is just one game.

I personally find it more mature for people to keep their well & often stated opinions of the program to their selves after some time, unless conversation is started about that particular topic.

Bringing this up to begin with had only two goals in mind, to piss people off and to start an argument. This happens to be two of your favorite things to do, so congratulations--your day was just made.

Something I haven't seen anyone touch on yet was Vasquez's interview after the game. He said he went to GW and asked to be the PG. Also said that CIS wasn't his house, it was Coach K's house. I thought that was pretty funny.

Anyway, gotta think the Terps have a great shot to knock off Wake or Duke. Of course, they also have a good shot to lose at State or UVA. Can they get three more wins? Do they need three more wins?

Can't say enough about Tucker. Not only was he making 3s, he was dead-on with them. Right in the center of the net. Have to think he's earned himself and extra 10 minutes a game for the next few.

Something I haven't seen anyone touch on yet was Vasquez's interview after the game. He said he went to GW and asked to be the PG. Also said that CIS wasn't his house, it was Coach K's house. I thought that was pretty funny.

Anyway, gotta think the Terps have a great shot to knock off Wake or Duke. Of course, they also have a good shot to lose at State or UVA. Can they get three more wins? Do they need three more wins?

Can't say enough about Tucker. Not only was he making 3s, he was dead-on with them. Right in the center of the net. Have to think he's earned himself and extra 10 minutes a game for the next few.

Yeah this win really gives them a great opportunity to completely remake their season. I didn't think we would make the tournament before yesterday, but a win like that really makes you rethink things. Its going to be difficult, but I'll be very disappointed if we can't capitalize on this game and make a tourney run. An 8-8 finish in the ACC should put them very close. If we somehow finish 9-7, they are a lock. The Morgan St. loss still really hurts though, 8-8 without that loss and they are a certainty, no doubt in my mind about that.

We gotta find a way to win at least two of those games. Just play as tough as they can and that should be doable. Making the tournament this year would really be a nice accomplishment, especially for as ugly as things have looked at times.

You really do just like to be an ass, don't you? You're very good at it with your ridiculous arguments.

How is deciding not to re-hash an opinion that's been beaten into the ground the same thing as "people disappearing" whenever the Terps win? I think at this point everyone knows who's in the Gary camp, and who's not. The idea that a Terps win "mutes" those who still aren't on his side is absurd.

OTOH, it's probably not fair that whenever the Terps lose everyone's jumping on Gary. There is definitely some hypocrisy there, but two wrongs don't make a right. Everyone becoming a Gary Lover after a game like this would be stupid. It was a huge game, and the Terps played better than I remember for quite some time, but at the end of the day, it still is just one game.

I personally find it more mature for people to keep their well & often stated opinions of the program to their selves after some time, unless conversation is started about that particular topic.

Bringing this up to begin with had only two goals in mind, to piss people off and to start an argument. This happens to be two of your favorite things to do, so congratulations--your day was just made.

It's just not worth it. I fell for it -- he tried to get a rise out of me and it worked.

People expect anyone that has ever bashed Gary to come groveling back whenever the team actually exceeds expectations and wins a game. The fact that our students felt the need to rush the home floor after beating UNC (a very common thing in the past) shows how far the program has fallen.

The thing is, if we lose to NC State or UVA I could very easily say "where are all the Gary supporters now?!?! Huh?!?! Huh?!?!?" but instead I'll use the site and board for what it's best for -- intelligent discussion where *most* of the posters don't reduce themselves to people who fire little barbs at someone whenever they can while hiding behind a computer screen.

He excels at it, doesn't he?

Wow. I didn't mean to stir all of this up.

What I really meant to point out was how people overreact in situations. When we lose its "Fire Gary" and when we win people are mapping out scenario's to make the tourney. I just think people need to be a little more levelheaded, that's all.

Wow. I didn't mean to stir all of this up.

What I really meant to point out was how people overreact in situations. When we lose its "Fire Gary" and when we win people are mapping out scenario's to make the tourney. I just think people need to be a little more levelheaded, that's all.

I know you didn't, and it's not your fault that "all this got stirred up". It's people who love to stir up arguments and fights on a message board because they know if they tried it in the real world they'd be seeing the stars while lying on their backs.

You're a good poster, I always enjoy your posts. Don't worry about it. And I agree that some levelheadedness is in order these days on the Terps boards.

The fact that our students felt the need to rush the home floor after beating UNC (a very common thing in the past) shows how far the program has fallen..
I'm not getting into a Gary debate here, I think you guys have ruined this thread and it should be about celebrating one great win, not anything else.

But you know that what you said right here is ridiculous. I had season tickets for 5 years at Maryland, then spent 4 years there as a student, and have been back for games whenever possible in the 3 seasons since. The only time I think we didn't rush the court when we beat Carolina was in the National Championship year and the year after when Carolina was awful both seasons (and Maryland won by 33 and 40 points those two seasons), and we did rush the court when we beat Duke both of those years.

Victories over UNC and Duke, especially when they are ranked in the top-5, are always reason to rush the court. I don't wanna hear any of the BS about "only a National Championship is worth rushing the court for." If you wanna spit that crap go enjoy your tea and crumpets and play some freaking croquet. If your blood doesn't get pumping every time you see MD beat the crap out of those two teams, then there is something wrong with the way you approach college athletics.

This is all general, not specifically directed at you, David Palmer, but it just irritates me to no end when people get uppity about rushing the court. Its usually crap that Duke fans say to make them feel good about themselves after Maryland beats them; they never miss an excuse to show elitism. When MD wins on Wednesday night, you can bet I'll be on that court!

Why would you not want to talk about an exciting win like this? Talk about how well the team played over a generally-superior opponent, and how it could affect the team's postseason opportunities?

It's not about who is in who's camp; it's about what happens when certain people in a group disappear in certain situations so that it looks like they are in hiding. Maybe they aren't; like I said I was going to wait before thinking about making a post like what started this simply to give people a chance. However, by the responses I think it's pretty clear that some people wouldn't have posted otherwise.

Again, who's being a "Gary-Lover" here? It's about the team winning.

I hope the rest of my response makes you change your view here, because if not you simply don't get it.

Daniel made an observation, and I commented on it because I feel it is an accurate one. We didn't jack the thread, and we didn't attack anyone directly. Don't talk to me about "maturity" when your first response to me is "You really do just like to be an ass, don't you? You're very good at it with your ridiculous arguments."

I'm putting it on you and Pedro to bring this thread back on track. FLK and I worked it out. Can you two find a way to allow us to do the same?

Why would you not want to talk about an exciting win like this? Talk about how well the team played over a generally-superior opponent, and how it could affect the team's postseason opportunities?

It's not about who is in who's camp; it's about what happens when certain people in a group disappear in certain situations so that it looks like they are in hiding. Maybe they aren't; like I said I was going to wait before thinking about making a post like what started this simply to give people a chance. However, by the responses I think it's pretty clear that some people wouldn't have posted otherwise.

Again, who's being a "Gary-Lover" here? It's about the team winning.

I hope the rest of my response makes you change your view here, because if not you simply don't get it.

Daniel made an observation, and I commented on it because I feel it is an accurate one. We didn't jack the thread, and we didn't attack anyone directly. Don't talk to me about "maturity" when your first response to me is "You really do just like to be an ass, don't you? You're very good at it with your ridiculous arguments."

I'm putting it on you and Pedro to bring this thread back on track. FLK and I worked it out. Can you two find a way to allow us to do the same?

Not sure why this is on us when your post is what caused this ruckus.

Says the guy who hasn't commented ON THE GAME yet. This tells me that you wouldn't have posted at all unless you were called out.

Did you not see the game? If so I'll understand, but if you did and your response is "Yeah? Well whoop-dee-do :rolleyes:" then you really should rethink how much you care about this team.

You can be critical without wanting to see them fail, and you can celebrate a great victory without it invalidating your overall opinion on the state of the program.

Nah this one pretty much did it. I've never met a poster that gets so offended when someone breaks board rules and then goes and does the very same thing.

Archived