What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

Frobby

What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your reaction to the Burnes trade?

• Couldn’t be happier - great pitcher, would have been willing to give up more if needed
    • Love it - great pitcher, price is fair and reasonable
    • Like it a lot -great pitcher, but the price was a bit steep
    • Okay with it but nervous - putting a lot of eggs in one-year basket for two good cost-controlled players and a pick
    • Don’t really like it

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/24 at 09:23

5 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

My biggest worry with Wells is his habit of giving up the long deep fly ball/home runs out of the blue. I remember that game early last season in Texas when Bradish was knocked from a line drive to his leg. Wells came in to save the team, but if it wasn't for Stowers making a great catch at the wall after one was hit off Wells, that game could have went a totally went a different way than it ended up going.

Thanks, F Face

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Wells will be good in the pen but he definitely has some things to worry about. We really need another power, high leverage arm imo.

I agree, where do we get one without leveraging top prospects? Free agent market looks kinda depleted. How about a team looking to dump some salary? 

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He had reverse splits last season.

For his career he's pretty even.

As for Wells, the lack of K's worries me.

Assume you're referring to Burnes's splits. We're still a RHP-heavy staff now, meaning we'll face more lefty batters. 

The Wells issue (low K's) maybe indicates long/middle relief then, instead of back end? Plus, spot starter and rotation depth. 

8 hours ago, now said:

Assume you're referring to Burnes's splits. We're still a RHP-heavy staff now, meaning we'll face more lefty batters. 

The Wells issue (low K's) maybe indicates long/middle relief then, instead of back end? Plus, spot starter and rotation depth. 

I would definitely have Wells in long relief. 

4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

We always say the following phrase when a meaningless player is signed for minor league filler. But I'll add it now.

Print the Playoff Tickets

Yeah but in this case it’s a jinx 😉

Trades have always fascinated me.

I didn’t think Elias was going to pull off a trade for a top level starter. I just didn’t believe he would part with the prospects necessary to get one.

Now, to be fair, I never really considered Burnes because most indications were that he wasn’t available. I know he was potentially out there but you just heard nothing about him.

I didn’t think Elias would hesitate to trade Ortiz and I honestly wouldn’t have felt that Hall had much value even with the outstanding stuff he has. 

It was also interesting to hear Elias talking about how he wishes they could trade draft picks more often and how it makes things easier because most teams agree on how to value the picks.

But overall, I think if you said Ortiz, Hall and the pick gets you Burnes, no one would have thought that. It’s not that it’s not enough for 1 year, it’s just that you would figure if they are trading Burnes (after losing Woodruff) that they are likely rebuilding some. I would think they would want younger prospects but it appears that they are still going to go for it this year or, at the very least, be competitive in 2025.

It’s just interesting to me because you never know how guys are valued by other teams. You look at those WS fans and they would rather have a 20 y/o who is far away and is high risk/high reward vs a guy like Ortiz. I get that thought process and I don’t think it’s wrong but if Getz thinks they can win in 2 years, it would make sense that they would want guys like Ortiz and Hall, 2 guys those fans laugh at.

You just never know how team evaluate guys or what their actual mentality is. We say this trade or that trade has no chance of happening but the reality is, you just never know.

I was on a date last night and someone sitting next to us at the bar heard us talking about the Orioles. He just wanted to let me know that he was a Brewers fan and say thanks for fleecing his team. I tried to console him by saying Ortiz is going be a great player for the Brewers. I thought about bringing up 1982, but nah.