Where Would You Rank Our Team Now?

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

As of today…

Tier 1:  ATL, LAD

Tier 2:  BAL, TEX, PHI 

Baltimore has the most untapped potential with their youngsters.

I think this is about right, and with luck by the end of the season ATL/LAD/BAL will be a clear top three in MLB. 

On the flipside, 2-3 of our division opponents are not that far behind us in the next tier. 

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

As of today…

I feel exactly the same. We can argue about the order of the teams, but they're definitely in that 2nd tier. And tier 3 is probably Houston and Toronto. 

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

As of today…

That looks like a solid call, as of today. I’d put the O’s in the Top 5 overall, but will need some growth to take on those Trillion Dollar Dodgers.

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

As of today…

I’m not sure I’d include PHI in the second tier despite their postseason success the last two years.  Otherwise this sounds about right, though to be honest I haven’t been keeping close tabs on the other teams this offseason. 

18 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

3rd in MLB behind Atl and LAD.  I think Atl should still be 1st because their talent is younger and LAD is higher risk of injuries to their pitchers (IMO).

3rd is where I put them too. 

A fully healthy Yankee team could still be ahead of the Orioles. But they’re extremely reliant on the health of Judge, Soto, Cole & Rodon/Cortes/Stroman. Soto and Cole have been very durable but the rest have not. 

The Orioles still would similarly take a big blow by any injuries to their best players - Gunnar, Adley, Burnes, Bradish, Grayson - but their depth everywhere else is exceptional and it’s night and day compared to the Yankees.

Absent injuries to that group, the only weakness for the Orioles is their bullpen, particularly if Cano/Coulombe take big steps back and Wells doesn’t fill the void / they don’t add another arm. 

Beyond that, the Astros aren’t going anywhere and the Rangers, Rays and Blue Jays are still very strong clubs, and we could always see good years from the Mariners or Twins, but I’d take the Orioles over all of them. Nobody else in the AL really has a shot at being in that top echelon. Rangers have the bats but without DeGrom and Scherzer healthy, not the arms - maybe id they re-sign Montgomery.

In the NL, the Braves and Dodgers are on an entirely higher level but it’s the same story for the other good teams otherwise, don’t see another team on paper measurably really stronger than the Orioles right now. 

Good time to be an O’s fan. 

19 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

A fully healthy Yankee team could still be ahead of the Orioles. But they’re extremely reliant on the health of Judge, Soto, Cole & Rodon/Cortes/Stroman. Soto and Cole have been very durable but the rest have not. 

The Orioles still would similarly take a big blow by any injuries to their best players - Gunnar, Adley, Burnes, Bradish, Grayson - but their depth everywhere else is exceptional and it’s night and day compared to the Yankees.

Absent injuries to that group, the only weakness for the Orioles is their bullpen, particularly if Cano/Coulombe take big steps back and Wells doesn’t fill the void / they don’t add another arm. 

Beyond that, the Astros aren’t going anywhere and the Rangers, Rays and Blue Jays are still very strong clubs, and we could always see good years from the Mariners or Twins, but I’d take the Orioles over all of them. Nobody else in the AL really has a shot at being in that top echelon. Rangers have the bats but without DeGrom and Scherzer healthy, not the arms - maybe id they re-sign Montgomery.

In the NL, the Braves and Dodgers are on an entirely higher level but it’s the same story for the other good teams otherwise, don’t see another team on paper measurably really stronger than the Orioles right now. 

Good time to be an O’s fan. 

Blue Jays havent really done anything this offseason.  Their pitching is really thin unless Manoah bounces back to at least be a back end starter.