All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

MLB.tv has all 3 homers up.  Nothing on Rhodes yet but they have Austin Riley's so maybe later.   First Stowers homer was long fly to right that announcers said was wind aided.  2nd one to RF was, way, way out.   Third was a line drive to LCF that needed no help either.  20 year old Angel Tejada PH for Stowers and only got a triple.  Only ST but it would have been nice to give Stowers one more AB.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dunk35 said:

How do we tell this kid that he hasnt done enough to make the team out of ST? If Mckenna makes it and he doesn't, I'll be royally pissed. 

How do you tell Cowser, Mayo, and Holliday too? They're all having great springs and there's maybe room for two of them.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

How do you tell Cowser, Mayo, and Holliday too? They're all having great springs and there's maybe room for two of them.

There certainly are some really tough decisions to make before heading north.  You know these kids are going to somehow wonder "what more do I have to do?"

I'm thinking that Norfolk is going to have a stout offense.

15 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

There certainly are some really tough decisions to make before heading north.  You know these kids are going to somehow wonder "what more do I have to do?"

I'm thinking that Norfolk is going to have a stout offense.

Don't they always? 😁 

Or at least the last few years.

• Upvote 1

I think the issue with a guy like Stowers is can he have success getting infrequent at bats as a PH/bench guy?

As for sending Mayo/Cowser/Holliday down, at some point as these guys age/mature/prove that the minor leagues are pointless for them, we are going to have to eventually rip the bandaid off with stop gaps/decent but not very good players like O'Hearn, Mateo, and Urias.

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2024 at 4:52 PM, rm5678 said:

Not just a bomb, but a 3-run bomb to break a 2-2 tie. Stowers has looked good this spring.

Would McKenna pass through waivers or would someone claim him?

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Does it matter?   

Well, I suppose it does for outfield depth in Norfolk. I personally would want McKenna as an emergency fallback if the shinola really hits the fan. 

5 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Well, I suppose it does for outfield depth in Norfolk. I personally would want McKenna as an emergency fallback if the shinola really hits the fan. 

They got Burdick who has options.  If they DFA McKenna I think they want someone to claim him.   The question is whether they'll keep Burdick on the 40 man this time.   He's pretty close in comparison to McKenna.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I think the issue with a guy like Stowers is can he have success getting infrequent at bats as a PH/bench guy?

As for sending Mayo/Cowser/Holliday down, at some point as these guys age/mature/prove that the minor leagues are pointless for them, we are going to have to eventually rip the bandaid off with stop gaps/decent but not very good players like O'Hearn, Mateo, and Urias.

This is a concern for a guy like Stowers since he's never really produced well in a part-time role. Even this spring, it's taken him a bit to get into a groove but once he's playing regularly, he produces. 

I've never given up on him and still think he's going to end up an everyday player for someone. Unfortunately for him, it looks like that someone is going to be the Norfolk Tides if he's not moved.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

If we really needed to, we'd be able to find someone McKenna-esque pretty quickly on waivers or via cash considerations.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

If we really needed to, we'd be able to find someone McKenna-esque pretty quickly on waivers or via cash considerations.

Someone with options? Because if not I'd rather keep McKenna if he passes through waivers.