All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

So, you think Stowers, Cowser and Kjerstad will never drop a fly ball?  The guy makes one error and that's the reason you're done with him?  Spoiler alert, they ALL make errors, it's part of the game.

I think CVS sells chill pills.

Kudos to @spleen1015 for posting the game winning homer by McKenna.  So, he cost us a game, and he won us a game.  We're even.

I don’t give that error undue weight, but let’s not kid ourselves, that was one of the worst errors you will ever see, both in terms of how easy the play was and the game situation.  It wasn’t just any old error.  And, he was in the game as a defensive replacement!   

That said, my concerns about McKenna are pretty much exclusively about his bat.  

• Upvote 1

I know it’s not popular here, but count me as a big Stowers fan. That bat can play, the power is legit. I still wonder if Stowers could be converted to first base. I see an opportunity long term for him as our everyday first baseman

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, rm5678 said:

I think someone like the A's would claim McKenna.

I don’t think McKenna will get claimed. He’s out of options. He’s not good enough to be on a contender. He offers no ceiling to a non contender. 

It’s all the option game. Yes, he’s better than other players that have gotten claimed. However, if you’re claiming a dude with zero options they better have some ceiling. 

I like McKenna, but if we lose him it will be ok. We have Haskin/Johnson/Burdick in AAA. Cowser, Hays, and Mateo in the MLB. Elias would just simply pull off a trade for a Daz Cameron type from a milb team.

Also, on top of of other teams cutting down guys at the end of ST, there’s still FAs out there like Jackie Bradley Jr., and Trayce Thompson. 

We will be ok.  If everything goes to hell we even have EBJ that would be ok in CF and batting 9th  

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t give that error undue weight, but let’s not kid ourselves, that was one of the worst errors you will ever see, both in terms of how easy the play was and the game situation.  It wasn’t just any old error.  And, he was in the game as a defensive replacement!   

That said, my concerns about McKenna are pretty much exclusively about his bat.  

For any of us who have played baseball or softball, to a person we can all think back to dropping an easily catchable ball that we know we should have caught.  My point is, it happens to everyone who plays the game....an easy play, lose concentration, and boom, and error.  Should it happen?  No.  Do we like when it happens to us? No.  But does it happen and we know we would catch that ball the next 99 times?  Yes.

I like his defense, but I'm with you, we have better and overall more talented guys for his spot now and his hit tool will not carry him far here any longer.

6 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

For any of us who have played baseball or softball, to a person we can all think back to dropping an easily catchable ball that we know we should have caught. 

I play about 15-20 games of softball a year and probably make 5 errors a year that have me slapping my forehead.   But then again, I’m a 66-year old retired lawyer, not a professional baseball player whose glove is his carrying tool.  

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think McKenna will get claimed. He’s out of options. He’s not good enough to be on a contender. He offers no ceiling to a non contender. 

It’s all the option game. Yes, he’s better than other players that have gotten claimed. However, if you’re claiming a dude with zero options they better have some ceiling. 

I like McKenna, but if we lose him it will be ok. We have Haskin/Johnson/Burdick in AAA. Cowser, Hays, and Mateo in the MLB. Elias would just simply pull off a trade for a Daz Cameron type from a milb team.

Also, on top of of other teams cutting down guys at the end of ST, there’s still FAs out there like Jackie Bradley Jr., and Trayce Thompson. 

We will be ok.  If everything goes to hell we even have EBJ that would be ok in CF and batting 9th  

You could be 100% right on him not getting claimed. But also, Burdick has been claimed twice and doesn't have nearly the track record of McKenna. It's kind of stunning how many kind of milquetoast guys actually do get claimed. So we'll see. But you are 100% correct that we'd be fine without him just based on our depth. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, interloper said:

I imagine Stowers is constantly feeling two emotions - one is that he loves being here with all his friends he came up in the minor leagues with, being in a winning organization, etc. The other is how unlucky it is that it's THIS organization he had to be in when he'd be a full-time MLer by now in a handful of other organizations. 

Can't think of a tougher spot for a prospect right now than Stowers' exact situation. 

I can think of a much tougher spot for a prospect to be in.  Such as being injured, or not playing well and facing the likelihood of being released.   Stowers is probably a lot happier today than he's been in a couple of years--he's raking and proving that he deserves a shot in the majors.  I'm sure he'd prefer that be in Baltimore, but I'm also sure he'd rather be playing full time in Kansas City than in Norfolk this season.  

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

You could be 100% right on him not getting claimed. But also, Burdick has been claimed twice and doesn't have nearly the track record of McKenna. It's kind of stunning how many kind of milquetoast guys actually do get claimed. So we'll see. But you are 100% correct that we'd be fine without him just based on our depth. 

Burdick has an option and “upside”. The option matters. McKenna will probably go the way of Daz Cameron. A guy that a contending team wants to stash at AAA on a milb deal. 

Plus, we’re at the point of ST, where everyone loves their guys. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, theobird said:

I know it’s not popular here, but count me as a big Stowers fan. That bat can play, the power is legit. I still wonder if Stowers could be converted to first base. I see an opportunity long term for him as our everyday first baseman

Do you like Stowers potential more than Kjerstad, Mayo, or Westburg? I ask because there are not enough spots for all these guys. So if Stowers is to occupy a spot for the longterm, it pushes one of these other guys out.

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Burdick has an option and “upside”. The option matters. McKenna will probably go the way of Daz Cameron. A guy that a contending team wants to stash at AAA on a milb deal. 

Plus, we’re at the point of ST, where everyone loves their guys. 

Good point on the option, that is the big reason we claimed him after all haha. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I can think of a much tougher spot for a prospect to be in.  Such as being injured, or not playing well and facing the likelihood of being released.   Stowers is probably a lot happier today than he's been in a couple of years--he's raking and proving that he deserves a shot in the majors.  I'm sure he'd prefer that be in Baltimore, but I'm also sure he'd rather be playing full time in Kansas City than in Norfolk this season.  

Well Stowers was injured last year and also played poorly, so he's got 2 out of those 3 as well. If you're in danger of being released, you're not a prospect. 

I'm sure Stowers knows the big picture is largely positive for him, but to be this close and constantly get edged out by guys deemed to have higher upside, I'm sure is frustrating. He's much better than a "I'm just happy to be here" minor leaguer. He's deserving of an extended shot and it's unlikely to come this year, for like the 3rd straight year. 

17 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Do you like Stowers potential more than Kjerstad, Mayo, or Westburg? I ask because there are not enough spots for all these guys. So if Stowers is to occupy a spot for the longterm, it pushes one of these other guys out.

Plenty of spots.

- I think we keep Hays and let him play out his deal similar to Santa.

- Mullins goes in a trade.  SP?Probably half a season of 25’ till EBJ.

- Urias is too expensive for his role.

- Maybe we keep O’Hearn because of his team option if he performs well.

- Mateo stays because of his speed and ability to play SS, and CF, amongst other positions.

1. Holliday 2B L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Mountcastle 1B R

5. Cowser CF L

6. Mayo DH R

7. Kjerstad RF L

8. Hays LF R

9. Westburg 3B R

Handley, Norby, Mateo, Stowers 

Edit - Only Mateo destroys the dream of having all 13 position players be homegrown. EBJ would solve that. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Plenty of spots.

- I think we keep Hays and let him play out his deal similar to Santa.

- Mullins goes in a trade.  Probably half a season of 25’ till EBJ.

- Urias is too expensive for his role.

- Maybe we keep O’Hearn because of his team option if he performs well.

- Mateo stays because of his speed and ability to play SS, and CF, amongst other positions.

1. Holliday 2B L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Mountcastle 1B R

5. Cowser CF L

6. Mayo DH R

7. Kjerstad RF L

8. Hays LF R

9. Westburg 3B R

Handley, Norby, Mateo, Stowers 

1. The poster said he wanted/saw/believed that Stowers would be the long term full time 1B (not Mountcastle).

2. It is extremely unlikely that they would trade Mullins midseason in 2025 when next year (like this year and most likely the next few years) will be another season with serious World Series aspirations.

3. Next year a place is going to need to be made for Basallo. No way Handley is slotted in above Basallo. The talent gap with those 2 players is very significant. Unless you believe that the O's will trade Basallo who by 25' will probably be a top 3 prospects in the game.

1 hour ago, theobird said:

Basallo sees Stowers walking toward first base and says "hold my beer."